Strat with no markings, logo or serial number

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Martinjbull21, Jun 4, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Martinjbull21

Martinjbull21 Strat-Talk Member

Hi all I’m new here
    Wondering if anyone else has come across what seem to be known as “no name” Fender guitars. I’m not talking about copies I’m talking about a small number of guitars that Fender regarded as flawed in a small way, and that rather than (unlike Gibson) send them out as seconds, legitimately allowed them to leave the factory entirely unbranded. I gather that these guitars were distributed via dealers with the full knowledge of Fender.
    I recently got hold of a Strat that is frankly utterly beautiful to play. Red thin poly finish but not quite the right shade for the usual fender red range – this is apparently why the body was not accepted as part of the manufacturing process. The gloss maple neck has one side marker missing at the fifth fret – assuming that’s the flaw here(You’d have to strip the poly finish in the neck to insert a dot). It’s fitted with Texas specials. I’m not a Newby to guitar playing – I’ve been playing nearly 50 years and all the other guitars that I have to compare this Strat with are very high end, like my 1981 Gibson Les Paul custom, USA tele, Gretsch silver falcon, Martin acoustic et cetera. I’m not easily impressed, but this “no name“ Strat is a really stunning high-level guitar. I got it from a dealer who is very highly regarded and reputable and he can sourced it officially and can trace the provenance back to the factory in America. Has anyone else come across similar guitars like this –(I gather there aren’t many around and that they sometimes do get confused with lower grade knockoff copies. This is most definitely not one of those).
    Anyone come across anything similar?

bluesguy62 and teleplayer99 like this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

This is my sceptical face. My very sceptical face...

3. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

never heard of such guitars

got pics?

4. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Post some pictures and we will see. Never heard the story before and don't think it's very likely.

teleplayer99, Caddy, Neil.C and 4 others like this.
  5. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Nope.

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Who would go to all the trouble of exporting reject Strats to England (apart from CBS in the 1970s, of course ;))

7. train

train Worlds largest private army Silver Member

Hey welcome , this is the first I have heard of this. Cool story , enjoy

teleplayer99 and Martinjbull21 like this.
  8. rolandson

rolandson Dr. Stratster

Not in my 57 years of playing fender guitars.

Of course you could merely email fender customer service and ask them... Here's their email address...:thumb:
    [email protected]

9. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

Never heard of them either.
    As a side note (see what I did there) the side marker can be added pretty easily without stripping the neck. Use a really sharp bit in a drill press. Drill the hole, insert the dot below the surface of the poly and either cover with clear coat or, better yet, super glue until flush.

10. train

train Worlds largest private army Silver Member

Being new and all it’s cool , but with a story such as this you got to throw out some pics.

11. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

Fender never shipped seconds.

12. Strat-Slinger

Strat-Slinger Senior Stratmaster

Wow.. the stories get better every year... I'm sure there's a lot more we don't know about Leo and his merry bunch of pranksters in Cali back in the day... popcorn ready yet?.. :)

13. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

I see your sceptical face and raise you one.

14. Martinjbull21

It does seem that one or two people are slightly missing my point – I know Fender never shipped seconds. That’s what I said. What I was interested in was whether anybody had ever heard of this sort of thing before – seems nobody has. That’s what I wanted to know. Cheers all.

teleplayer99 likes this.
  15. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Mr. Serious Gold Supporting Member

Let me restate: Fender never shipped seconds, and they sure as hell didn’t ship any guitars without the name “Fender” on them. That story is bogus.

16. Thrup'ny Bit

Is he out on parole? :D

Tguitarfloyd, Pev495, Jasco and 10 others like this.
  17. Martinjbull21

Sadly this discussion is showing signs of straying. I know Fender never shipped seconds. With respect, I have now said that twice, and I don’t want to say it again. I did not ask anyone whether they believed the story, I asked whether or not anyone had heard anything similar about such alleged practices. That was all. Like many other people in this thread I have been playing the guitar for decades and I know a top end guitar when I’ve got one in my hands. Thank you for your comments. It seems that this story is not one that has done the rounds. That is what I wanted to know.

18. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

You can REALLY help us by showing us photos, we can tell for sure if something is made by Fender - it might be a high quality guitar made from parts by somebody with skill.....even if it's non-Fender. It's hard for us to say if something is legitimate or not without seeing it.

19. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-O-Master

The "no name" strats are a real thing. I have 3 of them. Some of them have P90's and reversed head stocks. :sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:
    A.JPG E.jpg strat jack.JPG

20. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

`
    I get what you're inquiring about. Even if it's true I seriously doubt there'd be much evidence to support it, so the point is fairly moot at every angle.

Either way, if no one here has ever heard of it, it's most likely not a thing - or at least certainly not something worth investing much time (or money) in...

`

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.