Join Strat-Talk Today

Strat years Inquiry

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by won730, Sep 8, 2019.

1. won730

won730 New Member!

Hi, who thinks that strats from late 60s are inferior to 82-84 Fullerton reissue?

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

I think the only proper answer is "Some are, some aren't." The specs and quality control that should be present on even the middle-tiered Strats from this year to me make me wonder aloud if today's MIM's aren't rivals to many 60s and 70s Strats.

coloradojeff and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

The 80's was the absolute lowest point of quality for Fender. I really doubt an early 80's Fender was better than a late 60's Fender. CBS was just getting settled in, in the late 60's. They hadn't ramped up production too much at that point, and they hadn't started cutting corners yet. By the late 70's though, it was a completely different story. By the early 80's they were sending out the worst guitars imaginable to hapless victims.

I once had the displeasure of working on an all original 1980 telecaster. It had runs in the finish. None of the screws were screwed in straight, there was so many blank inspection tags in the neck pocket, they acted as a full pocket shim. it was just all around terrible. That guitar should of have never left Fullerton, but it did.

That's why you had companies in the late 70's and early 80's like Ibanez, Greco, and Tokai producing strat copies that were BETTER than anything Fender could do at the time.

3bolt79 and Guy Named Sue like this.
  4. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue Basking 'neath the almighty yellow yolk Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't think you'll find anyone who thinks that. What brought this question up to begin with?

3bolt79 and garyhoos1 like this.
  5. garyhoos1

garyhoos1 Huffing n Puffing. Strat-Talk Supporter

You never mentioned Yamaha they where flying early 80s :thumb:

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

I’d take a late 60s Fender over an 80s one any day of the week.

Even if the 60s one sucked it would at least be worth more than anything from the 80s...

3bolt79 and garyhoos1 like this.
  7. macoshark

macoshark Strat-Talker

I don't own either of those Strats. I'm not even sure what radius on those late 60s but probably 9.5. I'd have to disagree with lumping in the Fullerton Reissues with the regular 80s Stratocasters since a lot of money and effort went into reproducing that reissue line. As others mentioned you would have to take each model on it's own merit after playing and weigh it up with cost as one factor.

3bolt79 likes this.
  8. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Huh?? :thumbd:

3bolt79 likes this.
  9. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Strat-Talker

What a very odd question , if pushed would be the late 60s

10. Jeepocaster

Jeepocaster Strat-O-Master

I’ve owned a ‘63 and two ‘69’s, and many others since,and the ones made now are the finest. IMHO

11. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Sounds like someone is trying to "prove" their 82-84 Fullerton is better than their friends 60's Strat. Or it's just a troll thread considering the OP has not returned.

Neil.C and Guitarmageddon like this.
  12. Estibi

Estibi Strat-Talk Member

The early 80s were turds and Fender was hemorrhaging sales, that's true. In '82 they shut down the factory and started back up with two strat lines in fairly low quantities to try to get quality back up to snuff. Those were the so-called Dan Smith strats (considered the precursor of the American Standard line that came out in the late '80s) and the first ever 50s reissues. I have an '82 Smith and the quality of mine is excellent. Sadly in '83 they decided to get cheap again and made the two knob strats with the output jack mounted to the pickguard to cut costs. And it went downhill from there until they had to shut down Fullerton altogether and just had production in Japan until Corona opened and they rolled out the American Standards.

But an '82 is a good guitar in my biased opinion (as an '82 owner). I have never owned a '50s one so I can't say it's better or not, and I guess the question is more geared to the '80s reissues but just wanted to say that not every '80s strat is a dumpster fire.

13. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

I can't tell you if a guitar is great or if it sucks until it's in my hands. And that goes for the next one...and the next one ...and...

Stratoskater likes this.
  14. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

I could see this being accurate. I might even consider the MIM to be of better quality that the 70s stuff. Not saying it is, but I could easily buy into the idea.
    Even Martin is making guitars in Mexico now, and for me, that speaks volumes.

15. 79olympicwhite

79olympicwhite Strat-Talker

You can make any guitar great at the end of the day.... if you know how! I just bought this cheap peavey strat for my niece and have about a weeks worth of work setting it up.. now it plays as well as any.... after that it all comes down to preference

16. jayoldschool

jayoldschool Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Do you know what happened at Fender in the mid-1980s?

17. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Are you being rhetorical or really asking?

I agree with @Estibi - Fender started turning things around when they brought in new management in 1981: Bill Schultz as head of Fender, who brought in guys like Dan Smith. Those "1982 Smith Strats" were actually in production at the end of 1981, so I would say that's the point of the turn-around. The 1983-84 models (2-knob Standard and Elite) are well made but weren't popular; the initial USA Reissues were well made popular.

And of course it was Schultz' team who bought Fender from CBS, forming FMIC in February 1985.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.