Stratitis- tried many suggestions

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by Voodoods, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Voodoods

Voodoods Strat-Talk Member

I have a FSR LTD Sunfire Orange Flake Strat with a bad case of stratitis on the G string.

I'd really appreciate some help, as I have tried many of the common suggestions (detailed below).

Symptoms:
    1. It only exhibits the tones when I am overdriven or distorted- I can't really detect it clean.
    2. Its mainly on the G string (unwound) though at times I think I hear a slight undertone on b and e.
    3. It only exhibits past the 12th fret (13,14, 15)

What I've tried:
    1. Lighter gauge strings (10 down to 9).
    2. 4 different brands of strings
    3. lowering all pickups to below the pickguard (one fello off its screw it was so low - corrected that and retested)
    4. synchronizing the 'magnetic flux' described Here
    5. weaving soft cloth through the springs (do dampen potential sympathetic vibrations in the springs).

Note- lowering the pickups helps, but it never fully goes away, and ultimately the guitar has a thin, weak tone. Given this, I'm considering swapping out the pickups.

The pickups on this guitar have polls that are staggered- some are higher, some are lower. I've heard that pickups that have a 'vintage' stagger were originally designed for a wound G string, so when these are used with modern strings (and strong magnets) all hell breaks loose.

Kinman describes his pickups as having a lower magnetic pull which corrects this condition. But his stuff is pretty expensive. Are there any other pickups that would fit the bill?

Can anyone think of any other options to try to fix this infuriating syndrome?

Thanks!!

2. Brillig

Brillig Strat-Talker

Can you describe the tone?

Is there something about your neck that the strings get especially close to the pickups above the 12th fret?

3. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You mentioned that it only happens when overdriven. Have you tried playing through a different rig? It's possible that it isn't your guitar at all, or the problem would be there when you play clean.

Remember: An electric guitar is half or one third of the whole when diagnosing audio problems.

4. stratobiker

stratobiker Senior Stratmaster

Can you do a soundfile summat for us to listen too?

I have the same guitar. It's a great guitar. No problems at all.

SB

5. Voodoods

To follow up to the questions:

- 2 different rigs - a Carvin V3M and a Vypr 60 Tube both exhibit the tone
    - the tone is oscillating/warbling and somewhat shrieky, i.e. annoying and dissonant. its like an out of tune harmonic that warbles. Just like what everyone describes stratitis as.
    - strings are not really low, so I don't think a neck adjustment would help. I don't detect any buzzing- I've fretted all up and down the neck searching for it and haven't heard any.
    -Soundfile- I never have, but I think the I could with the Peavey- I'd have to look into it. Probably just need to plug in my Mac but let me check on it.

6. oldwolf

oldwolf Strat-O-Master

Does this guitar use string trees, to insure good seating of the treble strings at the nut?
    Gene Warner
    repairman

7. kgbeast

kgbeast Senior Stratmaster

Had that with my Bandit a long time ago. I am pretty sure it was no Bandit problem though, but some sort of noise problem (power related even). It went away before I could really figure it out.

I have a guitar however, my travel beater, which has a harmonics on open high-e string (same as on 12-th fret). It can be heard every time I do a quick mute and release on (especially happens when playing open chord rhythm). Because it is "e" and works in the played chord (as those have open e in), it kind of makes it into an interesting and nice sounding combo, but that one can be heard in clean as well as unplugged. So just to double-check, try playing it unplugged and see if this comes through.

8. wobble

wobble Strat-Talker

You mentioned that you lowered the pickups but did you raise the saddles at the same time? Also i'm surprised that its only above the 12th fret if its stratitis. Is its only on one string or all? If you have tried everything you can think of then you may need to take it to a tech and see what the say. Also try a wound G string.

9. Voodoods

Sorry for the delay. The guitar is in the shop but I think that's going to be a lost cause.

I think there's a bigger issue at hand. I wonder if maybe my tubes (on both my amps) need replacing.

Unfortunately I've now confirmed this 'warble' exists on ALL of my guitars, on both my Carvin V3M and also my Vypyr Tube 60. I haven't pulled the Traynor out and tried it.

I've tried various cables (though none of them are super-quality) and the noise persists across all of it.

So its either something from the wall to the amps (cord, power strip) causing something perhaps or maybe the tubes and its just coincidence that they are both having issues.

I'm stumped. I have Reverend guitars, Agiles, Peaveys, and an Epiphone and they are all doing this, and it also seems that it is noticeable across all strings, though low E and G seem to stand out.

Bummed.

10. pauln

pauln Senior Stratmaster

If it is happening with all guitars and all amps, and more noticeable with overdrive or distortion, it can only really be one remaining thing...

Turn off the ceiling fan.;)

11. Voodoods

lol I'll be testing everything once I get back today. I do have some things that may cause interference in the room (computer/Airconditioner) so I'll turn all of that off, thats not it, then swap power cords etc.

12. Voodoods

Still no progress. Turned everything off in the room. Got a new power cord. Bought a new (the best in the shop) cable and its still there on both amps for all guitars. A dissonant wawawawawawawawa under OD or distortion =/

Guitar tech said he checked everything he could think of and the guitar is fine. He tried a number of amps and there was no issue.

Maybe the next step is get the amps out of the house and see what happens.

13. pauln

pauln Senior Stratmaster

I hope your "lol" was not a dismissal... I was not joking about the ceiling fan; the spinning blades present a moving reflective surface that produces a cyclic Doppler frequency shift on the reflections. It makes the sound you are describing...

If you have one, turn it off when you play guitar.

14. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

This is true! I was recording in my room at home and noticed a warble in the background sound of the track. I did not notice it live since the mic was sitting near the amp and volume was fairly low but the fan was creating the sound. Turned it off and it was gone. I'll try and find the track and post it. For a min I thought the trem was on on my amp.

15. BobbyS

BobbyS Strat-O-Master

Bad pedal if you are using one?

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  16. Voodoods

No pedals. Everything in the room is off. There's no fan =).

I also took the amp out to the living room and its still doing it.

I'm going to get a retube kit and see if that changes things.

Both of these amps have their original tubes, so that's the only other thing I can think of short of my body having some weird electrical field =)

17. Brillig

Brillig Strat-Talker

Maybe not your body, but possibly your fingers. Have you ever had anyone else play those same guitars to see if it happens?

When you play it unplugged, do you hear it choking out there also or does the string ring?

18. Voodoods

I haven't but a I may be able to get a friend over to try them out.

19. Voodoods

At this point I'm pretty sure it must be the tubes. I put the v3m up to 50w mode and only a couple of the tubes glow and there is high ringing type of tone (quiet though) even on 2 and 4 positions even with the strings muted.

Like I said these amps have the stock tubes which are at least 2-3 years old and inferior. I'll retube the Carvin and see how it goes.

20. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

You can always try a set of pickups with a flat or symmetrical stagger. Or, if you're feeling confident, you can try and move the pole pieces for the G string down a little bit. This involves pushing them down and if you have fiber bobbins you could potentially damage the pickup. I know a couple members here have done it without hurting their pickups, but I don't remember who they were...