Join Strat-Talk Today

Strato style guitar truss rod installation

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by scorpionscar, Apr 6, 2019.

1. scorpionscar

scorpionscar Strat-Talk Member

Hi, I’m building a two piece strato neck and want to install a truss rod with the acces in the headstock. I don’t know the type of TR install and the heigth because since the headstock has to be cut in thickness I’m afraid there is not enough heigth. I’ve seen that the access hole is made with the drill. Don’t know if is used a one way or two way. Don’t want the access in the heel. Really not much experience at strato guitars building. Can someone help me?

Scorpionscar

2. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talker

I build almost all my necks that way, 2-way headstock adjust. For minimal access hole intrusion into the headstock face flip the truss rod upside down. It will adjust the opposite of normal but no big deal for any decent tech.

Here is my process real quick.
    I do the truss rod route before cutting out the neck to take advantage of the straight edge on the router table fence. I mark the location, set the fence and mark start stop points, turn the neck over and lower it onto the bit. After the section for the rod is done I chuck up a 1/4" or 3/8" core or radius bit in the router table and extend it the length of the headstock. I do it to the depth so that it won't get into the .55 thickness I like for the headstock face.

After routing, I take a round file and file an angle from the route to the truss rod adjuster depth until the hex key easily goes in.

The last pic is a tele neck but they are the same except the headstock and heal and it has a pretty clear shot of the finish.

Here is an example of the face route bits I use.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Eric

MrNeutron, johnnymg, ChrisD and 2 others like this.
  3. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

You, Sir, are THE man. I struggle to install oversized machine heads. Hats off to you Mr Scorpionscr!

EAllen and Groovey like this.
  4. scorpionscar

Waooo Eallen, thats exactly what I wanted, I love those two way truss rods. I see that a small portion of the fingerboard wears a little curvature made by the file. How did you do that? fixed the fingerboard to the neck with a clamp and round with the file that portion? Thanks in advance.

Scorpionscar

Attached Files:

EAllen likes this.
  5. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talker

Good question. After it is glued on and I finish the transition i take a small round file in the hole and file up a hair. Since the board comes to a chisel point there it only takes a few swipes to radius it a bit. It also keeps it from being easily broke later.

Some use and angle drill jig that works well also. This just happens to be my preference.

Eric

scorpionscar likes this.
  6. scorpionscar

Thanks a lot Eallen, really a valuable information, I'm very grateful, cause was crazy trying to use a double action TR but does not found the way of doing it. Is a good idea to install upsidedown. Really love the trick. Where exactly the end of the TR (with the hex nut) ends in reference of the nut?

Scorpionscar

EAllen likes this.
  7. EAllen

EAllen Strat-Talker

On strat/teles I use an 17 1/4" trussrod that ends just under the nut.

Eric

scorpionscar likes this.
  8. scorpionscar

Thank you Eallen, I'll start my project and sure I'll have some more questions.

Scorpionscar

EAllen likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.