Join Strat-Talk Today

Stratocaster 1968 Original Olympic White Finish

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by picapoyo, Aug 3, 2019.

1. picapoyo

picapoyo Strat-Talker

Hi, there

Today I had a luck to play a stratocaster 1968 in Olympic White original finish.
    The fingerboard is rosewood with large head stock.
    The amp I used was not that good, so I couldn't feel some kinda vibe like Jimi Hendrix.
    It needs proper setting, but sounds so nice!! I want to try it with small tube amp.
    I have a stratocaster made in 1962 and mine sounds much better.
    I think the 1968 neck I played today is a bit fat comparing with 1962.
    Believe the neck width are the same but neck is bigger than mine.
    tone control knob is missing and wiring was modified. Pick ups are original black bobbins which are common this era. The back of the neck is worn out. The head stock turned very dark because of old smoke.bridge and saddles are original except saddle height screws.
    Some screws for the pickguard are not original, ones for bridge pickup height aren't original. 3 way switch is OK.
    The guitar is hanging on the wall for sale for 3 years!! The owner asks $8000.
    What do you think? The owner wants to sell it fast. Anyone?

whole guitar.jpg body1.jpg body.jpg headstock.jpg headstock back.jpg another look.jpg f key tuners.jpg neck plate.jpg back view.jpg back view 2.jpg

Robins likes this.
  2. picapoyo

picapoyo Strat-Talker

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Strat-Talker

I don’t know. For about 2k you could have an MJT/Musikraft Partscaster + all the hardware and electronic bits you wanted, aged however you like with your preferred neck profile that plays and sounds better AND still have 6k you didn’t spend. OR spend $4500 and have the Fender CS build you the same thing and still have $3500 left.

I’ve played a lot of vintage guitars. I have the privilege of living 3 blocks from Willie’s American Guitars. I’m still waiting for a vintage guitar to reveal to me it’s value vs. the other 2 options. Unless you just want it for collectibility, I don’t get it. But - it’s your $$ and so only you can really determine the guitars “value”. IMO, a lot of guitarists hear with their eyes through the lens of nostalgia.

Good luck.

aviamsi, picapoyo, garyhoos1 and 2 others like this.
  4. picapoyo

picapoyo Strat-Talker

Hi, thanks for your opinion. I like the guitars. Playing and buying as well.

5. picapoyo

picapoyo Strat-Talker

I know the price is in still high side in this case

6. maqcatt

maqcatt Strat-O-Master

Well,
    Collectors and folks who get nostalgic about older guitars pay that kind of money for them. there is a finite amount of them in the world and they aren't making '68s any more.
    Being old and somewhat funky sure doesn't make it a better guitar than what you find today. Far from it; the opposite is usually the case.

I would never pay that kind of money for a beat up old Strat, that is, based on looks.
    Of course every guitar sounds and responds differently in different degrees.
    You could run into a real special old gem that makes it worth it to you.

S Mac

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    picapoyo, Edbso, Ruscio and 1 other person like this.
  7. Stockta

Stockta New Member!

If you can get it for the right price and the neck is not back bowed or need drastic work I’d wear that thing out. I’d grow old with it have it refretted then give it to my son to wear out again.

That’s basically a dream guitar for me but it ties with a 71-72 olympic white three bolt, bullet truss rod, for favorite style Strats.

You just need to play it more and if your financially stable take cash money and negotiate with what your comfortable with. You can always buy vintage Strats but having one you can play and evaluate makes a huge difference. Obviously you know this since you have the 62 Strat.

Other thing is don’t try directly comparing that 68 to your 62. They are not going to have the same thing going for them other than being Strats. Neck shape, pickup output, big headstock, etc..
    When I picked up my 74 Strat it should be a total pos, lose neck, heavy boat anchor according the internet experts. In real life it’s a killer guitar 8lbs and even better after I had some tweaks done to it. I had it refretted with 6100 size Jescar frets, cut to a 9.5” radius, bone nut, satin nitro front and back on the maple neck. New RS Guitarworks harness and a DiMarzio HS3 in bridge. All in I could have bought a custom shop Strat but it’s not ever going to be “this guitar” and still won’t be 45 years old. After I tweaked that Strat the owner tried buying it back. They just didn’t see the diamond in the rough when it hung in the shop for years.

That guitar you have may be a dog or an amazing Strat after a setup. Have them pull the neck and get date codes and absolutely make sure it was never refinished to white.

Buzzgrowl and picapoyo like this.
  8. Ruscio

Ruscio Strat-O-Master

Are you asking whether it's a guitar you can enjoy in use, or whether it'll hold its value for potential resale down the road?

If the former, only you can judge. If you can bond with and enjoy the guitar, then maybe it's worth it to you.

If the latter, then (a) the fact that it's been for sale this long says something important and (b) nobody knows what will happen to the value of vintage guitars in the future. Will they remain collectible, or will they go the way of so many other collectibles that nobody wants any more? Who knows? If you're in it as an investment, I'd guess you could have $8k do much more for you in other places.

Buzzgrowl and picapoyo like this.
  9. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

This guitar to me doesn't look anywhere near the condition expected for the price of 8k. There's a difference between desirable patina and something just old and rusted out. The fretboard and frets look like they were sanded very randomly and unprofessionaly. It's a guitar with a lot of history but I can't imagine it being very playable. The bridge, saddles, springs and tuners to me look that they are very worn and would sacrifice functionality a great deal. But I guess "desirable" is personal, so this is just my opinion.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Green Sub and picapoyo like this.
  10. AncientAx

AncientAx Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

At 8000.00 no wonder it’s been hanging on the wall for 3 years .....

picapoyo and Antstrat like this.
  11. hornpiper

hornpiper Senior Stratmaster

Personally, I'd pass. Too funky looking for $8000.00 in my book. Might be a tough flip down the road . Hanging on a wall for 3 years with no buyers should tell you something. Also, I'm wondering about the white finish. As radically smoke stained, and bar tanned as that neck and headstock look, I'm wondering if that white should be a lot more browned or yellowed looking.

picapoyo likes this.
  12. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

8K canadian? i might consider ...its a beauty

RL21980 and picapoyo like this.
  13. Mr Dunlop

Mr Dunlop Senior Stratmaster

Looks like some gray and black finish showing under the Olympic White.
    I would make sure the finish is 100 percent original.

picapoyo likes this.
  14. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd Strat-Talker

Yes - that is definitely a concern - its just too white

Silvercrow and picapoyo like this.
  15. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

That guitar looks great!

I love the rusted look and big headstock.

I worry it's been refinished at some point in it's life.

Are the bridge screws adjustable, or are they frozen in place?

Miotch and picapoyo like this.
  16. picapoyo

picapoyo Strat-Talker

I think that USD 3500-4000 is proper price range for this one due to the condition. production year 1968 is very rare. It's my birth year model.

Not sure the finish is original, but no relic job I believe. Could be refinished long time ago.

I 'm not buying this time.

The screws are all working.

rafasounds likes this.
  17. 33db

33db Strat-O-Master

If it's legit, so you're getting it for the "cool factor" or does this have some sort of magical tone?

Anyways I get nervous when they want to "sell it fast", get the thing appraised by a pro.

picapoyo likes this.
  18. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

To me it looks more abused and neglected than wear n tear due to playing. Bottom line if it speaks to you then that's all that matters.

rafasounds, crashbelt and picapoyo like this.
  19. Colnago1

Colnago1 Strat-Talker

It looks smelly.

Silvercrow and picapoyo like this.
  20. Hanson

Hanson Strat-Talker

My brother lives just down the street from Willies as well, on Ford Pkwy. I love that little vintage shop and visit it everytime I am in St. Paul.

Norrin Radd and picapoyo like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.