Stratocaster by Fender, who's who

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Uncle Eric, May 4, 2021 at 5:46 PM.

1. Uncle Eric

Uncle Eric New Member!

Classic Vibe Squier, MIM Fender, MIA Fender.

For a few years now I've noticed that the Squiers and MIM Fenders have stepped up their games. My guess Is a shift in the market, marketing and manufacturing abilities. The new Squier Classic Vibes are phenomenal instruments, they're better than any MIM Fender from the past 20 years also, the MIM Fender instruments are phenom's as well and the American Fender Stratocaster is as good as it's ever been, I haven't noticed huge changes just a title change from Standard to Professional.
    I guess what I'm moving towards is conversation and insights or opinions about the whole thing. I'm a collector of Some inexpensive Strats and other guitars. I have a Vintage Modified Stratocaster and a MIM Telecaster and Stratocaster. I would like to have an American Standard from a few years ago or a new Professional Stratocaster but I don't see that happening anytime soon.
    Oh, anyone know what pickups they use in the Stratocaster Standard these days?

Stratafied likes this.
  2. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

American standards are no longer in production, which was a huge mistake. 2012 I believe was the first year standards came with fat 50’s pickups, if you can score an American standard do so, you won’t be disappointed.

Roca81, jtoomuch, Erik_C and 2 others like this.
  3. JDug

JDug Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

To me, there’s a big difference in neck feel on the new American Professional Series vs the American Standard.

Standard has a “modern C “ neck profile, with medium jumbo frets, and the Pro has a “deep C” profile with narrow tall frets. I like the Pro neck better, its a thicker neck and it seems the frets feel better too, IMHO. ( I put a Prof. Series neck on my American Series)

I’ve had a ‘96 Am. Std, and it was nice, but not as “curvy” a body as my ‘05 American Series. ( Am. Series is really an Am Std re named, changes on tone controls TBX to Delta Tone). The body shape difference is noticeable but not dramatic. The 96 did not have an “Original Contour Body” decal on the headstock whereas the ‘05 does, if that matters to you.
    I could be off, but the American Standard started in 1987-2000, then American Series until 2008, Stndard again until 2017.

More or less, it seems like the going price for a nice one is about $900 US

I agree with Squiers and MIMs. A buddy of mine has a Squire Tele, nice guitar. The MIM Player Series is nice too, the MIMs came a long way!

Hope this helps!

stratocarlster likes this.
  4. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

I have 5 American standards and will never sell. Nada. Nein. Nyet.

I really like the new American Performer and came 'this close' but when I look at the Performer price and think what I paid for my standards, I wince and gag. Not knocking the AP but in my opinion a used standard is just as nice and a heck of a lot cheaper.

jtoomuch, Erik_C, fretlessart and 2 others like this.
  5. macoshark

macoshark Senior Stratmaster

Never say Never, let alone nada. I say that about my favorite Strats but the other day I thought to myself, would I? Mike and Frank on APers always ask what's your, "I don't want to sell price?" So how much would it take to sell your least favorite of the five?

Stratafied likes this.
  6. Antstrat

$12,575.

nadzab, jtoomuch, JJ119 and 4 others like this.
  7. macoshark

:eek:

8. Antstrat

But that’s with free shipping.

9. macoshark

:rolleyes:

JJ119 likes this.
  10. Stratafied

Such a deal.

11. Stratafied

I haven’t played a American professional so I can’t comment, but I love my American standard, like the neck size actually everything about it.Ant what colors are yours in?

jtoomuch likes this.
  12. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

@Uncle Eric

Yep..Third Series. 2012 to late 2016 The Professional replaced the last American Standards made in 2016 when they produced the SSS and Shawbucker models for the last time.

The Second Series Standards, 2008 - early 2012, had American Single Coils with an higher output bridge.

First Series Standards, 1986 - 2000, had flat poles. Early ones had TBX, later had Delta Tone with a higher output bridge.

In between the First and Second series the were the Fat Strat, Roadhouse, Big Apple, Lonestar, etc..with all sorts of configurations.

They renamed them the American Series for a period, 2000-2007, before returning to the American Standard name for the Second Series. the American Series has American Strat Single Coils (staggered) with a high output bridge.

(The 2006 Diamond Anniversary ones have some special custom wound pickups you won't find elsewhere, so another good choice if you can find one. That was in the renamed American Series)

Welcome to the forum and wonderful world of Fender nomenclature....

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 9:27 PM
    Blackmore Fan and Stratafied like this.
  13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

I have both and while I like the feel and playability of the AmPro, I am thinning the herd, so the choice was between the Standard and the Pro and I'm selling the Pro. What tipped it for me wasn't the neck, (I actually like the neck on the Am Pro better), or the frets as I don't mind narrow tall, but in a contest between the V-mods and the single coils in my 2006, I had to go with the Standard.

Of course... I do have a set of Fat 50's I could put in the Pro.........

Nah..I won't think like that! I won't think like that!!!

it's going on the block...I really gotta thin the herd...

Stratafied and Blackmore Fan like this.
  14. Antstrat

Forgot one so 6.

Burgundy rosewood
    Sunburst rosewood
    Black maple
    Red maple
    Off white maple
    Sunburst maple

15. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

I don't feel particularly bold about any of this.

bldwndp, nadzab and Blackmore Fan like this.
  16. Sixstringer107

Sixstringer107 Strat-Talker

I have a bunch of Strats, and only 1 is American, the American Special. The rest are 2 MIJ Squiers, A Vintage Modified Squier, an Affinity Squier that I just got, a Blacktop MIM, and a Fender MIM. That's not counting the non Fender copies.

Stratafied and Blackmore Fan like this.
  17. Stratafied

Nice!

18. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Pics?

19. stratocarlster

stratocarlster Most Honored Senior Member

Not sure about the current CVs. My perception is they were better 7-8 years ago, in the MIC days. Used to knock me out every time i picked one up in a store. I have a 2010 MIC J Mascis (which I'm guessing is closely related to the CVs) which can stand shoulder to headstock with my AV/AO Fenders.

This is all just one guy's opinion, based on a limited sample.

20. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talk Member

I just picked up an American Performer a couple of weeks ago from Sweetwater. I wanted something new with a vintage trem, so that didn't leave me many choices. I've been keeping an eye on Sweetwater website and one popped up at 7.3 pounds (in the color I wanted) so I snagged it.

I am typically extremely picky about my guitars, and I have to tell you this American Performer is flawless.