Stratocaster Made in Japan 1986-87

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Warsavius, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Warsavius

Warsavius Strat-Talk Member

Hi, I own a made in japan strat, s/n F018642, according to guitardaterproject.org : "Your guitar was made at the Fuji-gen Plant (for Fender Japan), Japan in 1986 - 1987"

I recently replaced the original pickups with tonerider TRS3 classic blues, removed the original single layer pickguard (brutally adapted to a humbucker in 1994 by me) and replaced with a new three layer. Knobs also are new.

I have a few question:
    1. What kind of pickups are originally mounted (they are on another strat now, and sound really great, close to texas special)
    2. How about body wood? I know it can't be Ash, but i can't figure out how to identify it.

IMG_20190127_133903-1248x1664.jpg IMG_20190127_133924-1248x1664.jpg IMG_20190127_140254-1248x1664.jpg

The_Whale and BoxofParts like this.
  2. balston11

balston11 Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You can only really tell by looking at the wood itself in the neck pocket likely to be Basswood

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Your guitar is a Fender Japan ST-357 Standard. The original pickups were ceramic bar magnet flat pole pickups, and your body wood is 100% for sure basswood.....

4. guitarmikey

guitarmikey Strat-O-Master

I have a Contemporary Japanese Strat from '86, the one woth System I tremelo, an E series, basswood for body, that's more than sure.
    Pickups might be different specs, mine are original but not ceramic, seems that all Contemporary had those pups, very vintage in sound. Love the way they match to the guitar...

5. Guitarmageddon

Yeah the Contemporary models had totally different specs.....flat pole alnico pickups.....

guitarmikey likes this.
  6. Warsavius

Confirm, just checked, pickups are with flat poles and the magnet bar at the bottom, so they surely are the originals.

Thank you.

7. JasonSD

JasonSD Strat-Talker

I have that same guitar in black, but I sold the neck and put a st54 style neck on it. The pickups in mine are pretty weak though, like each one is 4.4k. I'm goign to swap them out with some other MIJ strat pickups I have when I do my next string change.

8. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

So the "modern spec" Strats with the System One trem had alnico pickups whereas the 357s & 362s had ceramics? That's interesting, I bought a System One Contemporary Strat in 1987, & I have a vague memory of the pickups being plastic bobbin alnicos.

No pics of course...

9. Guitarmageddon

Yep, 100%. They would look identical from the top....but they were alnico in the 80s Contemporary System I, II, III and Kahler etc.....

10. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

Thanks. I changed the bridge pickup to a SD Hot Stack & I thought I remembered them being those generic looking plastic bobbin alnicos. I left the other two so I must have been happy with them. Or maybe just skint?

11. mijstrat72

mijstrat72 Strat-Talker

I also have an F series MIJ strat. Its a 72ri though. I replaced the oem alnico pickups along time ago. Also the switch died.
    I ended up with two cs69's, neck and middle, and a Texas special in the bridge. Amazing guitars!!

12. dearlpitts

dearlpitts Strat-O-Master

13. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

That’s a beauty, now go trim your strings...

Michael919 likes this.
  14. BoxofParts

BoxofParts New Member!

I though I was going to have trouble finding out what I had, until i stumbled upon this forum! This is my first post, with hopefully more to come. I have the exact same guitar, which was parts up until a day ago. A friend was cleaning out his closet and handed me a box of parts to build two 'pieces of junk' as he called them. I begged to differ and set forth to build a very sweet looking/sounding '86 MIJ Strat. All stock parts, I'm sure, but I want to upgrade the pickups eventually. Meantime, the other guitar project is a Fernandes Super Strat (i think?), and it's gonna need a ton of electronic work.

15. BoxofParts

BoxofParts New Member!

Attached Files:

Neilybob and The_Whale like this.
  16. Warsavius

Same as mine. Beautiful colour, but in my opinion not great pickups. They're ok but somewhat weak. I sold the guitar some month ago, I didn't like the neck, and I need cash to get a new ultra strat, but I'm a bit regretted, I miss a get and go strat...

BoxofParts likes this.
  17. Michael919

Michael919 Most Honored Senior Member

Cool friend! I wish someone handed me that box of junk.

Welcome to ST!

18. Antonio77

Antonio77 Strat-Talker

19. tubeblues

tubeblues New Member!

I have this same guitar for 25 Years I need to get the date on it for sure. Thanks a heap!