Stratocaster-neck question

Ronkirn

Most Honored Senior Member
May 26, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
I have to take some issue with those who imply that slight tweaks in pickup heights or string action will somehow result in monumental changes in a guitar’s “voice”.
I agree wholeheartedly.. since NO ONE ever auditions an altered guitar in a truly blind situation, no one ever knows if they actually did anything..

"YOU" cannot make mods to "your" guitar.. then listen to get an honest impression.. not because you're dishonest.. it's because that's just the way it is.... Most have absolutely no concept of how your senses intermingle when processing data... thus what you see or expect can dramatically alter the reality.

Last edited:

eco7077

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
NYC
Update on the MIM cheap Strat:

I took my CS to the office and played both guitars, I am not sure if I am going to change the neck on the MIM, it is sounding too good. So good that I prefer the sounds I am getting out of it on the Neck and Middle pups tan my CS with Ancho Poblanos.

I ma guessing the RE are the real thing, they sound great on the cheap thing.

The neck doesn't have a dead spot, and is super easy to play.

I am afraid that if I go ahead with the neck change I might loose what I already have, it sounds fantastic!

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
An MIM is a "cheap guitar"?
I figured Ali Baba or Jay Turser.
No pics AND you call the average midrange Strat "cheap"?
C'mon try harder with the words n stuff?
Wondered when you mentioned DC30 but couldnt afford a camera?
Swap the damn neck already, take some pics and reportback on tones!
Unless youre one uh those neck pickup guys, the ebony oughtta add snap and treble.
Neck pickups are really hard to get a bad sound out of.
Thats why I never use em!

eco7077

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
NYC
Unless youre one uh those neck pickup guys, the ebony oughtta add snap and treble.
I bought it for 300 dollars and got an extra neck , that was cheap for me.

eco7077

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
NYC
Ar you drunk or something?
That is the Strat.

And the pics will tell u why I don't have money for the cam, lol.
Master Volume is not engaged, Yeap, I like playing it loud.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 7.44.52 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-28 at 7.44.52 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 20
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 10.48.57 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 10.48.57 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 19
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 10.49.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 10.49.09 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Last edited:

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Some have argued that the neck does affect how a guitar sounds - somewhat like how a tuning fork vibrates. The theory is that some necks vibrate “better” than others.

I am on the fence about this theory (since I haven’t thoroughly investigated it myself yet), although I do happen to have two Strats that I swapped the same pickups on with remarkably different results.

Both have the same body type (alder with nitro finish) and similar hardware, etc.

One of them sounds lively and three-dimensional, while the other sounds flat and lifeless - and, no matter what I do to the lifeless one, it still sounds “blaa” *(I’ve tried several pickup sets, went with a Fender Pure Vintage tremolo, different strings and even installed a bone nut).

The only thing I haven’t tried was swapping the necks to see if that changes anything.

Point being, sometimes things “just work” and sometimes they don’t - with no rhyme or reason why it would seem.

Anyway, it certainly can’t hurt to do the swap, then you can decide which works best…

Yes, swapping necks on a guitar can have a drastic effect on the sound. It can also have very little to no effect. I find it's usually somewhere in the middle of these two extremes.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I think the constant use of cheap hilarious. Price has nothing to do with how a guitar sounds. Lots and lots of “cheap” guitars sound and play very good.

Yes you got it cheap somewhat and I get that’s why you keep saying it.

eco7077

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
NYC
I think the constant use of cheap hilarious. Price has nothing to do with how a guitar sounds. Lots and lots of “cheap” guitars sound and play very good.

Yes you got it cheap somewhat and I get that’s why you keep saying it.
because my IQ is close to 70 and I am somewhat stupid.
You are a cheap bastid! LOL :)

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
@eco7077

Sweet! Love the firesun inlay. Mine isn't a strat and was a run of 4 (Artisan Ltd. Series #5) with set specs, based on Gibson's Black Beauty with his stapletop P90's.

But the original owner didn't get that concept of set specs and made some extra demands.. He almost got his order cancelled according to Ron.

But in the end he did it, with a turquoise circle around the headstock log, turquoise squiggles in the block inlays and 3 firesuns, one at the 12th fret and one between the pickups. So it's truly a one off.

I really lucked out. I believe it was out the door in 2018 just before he left to take the PMB position with Fender.

Attachments

• 1661402490879.jpeg
    1661402490879.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210405_145938.jpg
    20210405_145938.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210405_150006.jpg
    20210405_150006.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210405_145957.jpg
    20210405_145957.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 8

eco7077

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Apr 30, 2013
NYC
@eco7077

Sweet! Love the firesun inlay. Mine isn't a strat and was a run of 4 (Artisan Ltd. Series #5) with set specs, based on Gibson's Black Beauty with his stapletop P90's.

But the original owner didn't get that concept of set specs and made some extra demands.. He almost got his order cancelled according to Ron.

But in the end he did it, with a turquoise circle around the headstock log, turquoise squiggles in the block inlays and 3 firesuns, one at the 12th fret and one between the pickups. So it's truly a one off.

I really lucked out. I believe it was out the door in 2018 just before he left to take the PMB position with Fender.
Mine is an one off, kinda...
I started giving Ron the Specs and he did not say anything, when it was done he told me:

I would have never believed someone would made my own guitar.
I did not understood and then he explained, It turns out that my guitar is (except for the color) the twin of his personal guitar, LOL.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Mine is an one off, kinda...
I started giving Ron the Specs and he did not say anything, when it was done he told me:

I would have never believed someone would made my own guitar.
I did not understood and then he explained, It turns out that my guitar is (except for the color) the twin of his personal guitar, LOL.
Well, I don't know what color his is, but that one is stunning. What did he call that color?