Stratocaster puzzle: input appreciated

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by knsmast, May 13, 2020.

1. knsmast

knsmast Strat-Talk Member

I have in my hands a very nice Strat that at first except for the hardtail, I would call a Classic Series 70's Stratocaster. Upon closer inspection though, I am at a loss. Can anyone help with knowledge on pickups (and the sticker signature), wiring setup (middle knob is push/pull, and I can't quite figure out what the heck is happening with the tone controls), and body markings. The pickguard is AllParts obviously. The neck looks factory, but is unmarked, and although large headstock, has vintage style tuners.

I would appreciate hearing from anyone with knowledge of Fender pickups, controls, and body markings. Thanks for any knowledge you can throw at me. Have a good one, and stay well.

Attached Files:

2. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

Is there no serial number?

knsmast likes this.
  3. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

'F' tuners or 'Kluson' style tuners?

I can't think of anything offhand with that combo of 21 fret neck, headstock truss access and '68-'71 decal.

The board isn't scalloped is it?

Import 2 1/16 spacing or US? ... and those saddles look like they don't fit the bridge so maybe both? In fairness it's hard to tell if stringing up etc would straighten them but it doesn't look it to me.

What radius is the board can you tell and is there something odd about the logo (other than it's a '68-'71 on a non reissue) in the gold surround and is it not a little too big/long .. like the Japanese ones?

knsmast likes this.
  4. RandyM

RandyM Strat-Talk Member

Definitely a MIM neck based on the truss rod insert, and looks like a MIM body with the three CNC guide holes. I know there have been MIM models with that headstock, not with a hardtail. The only hardtail MIM I've heard of are the Robert Cray signature model (not in that color though) and a mention of a limited edition Classic 70's hardtail (can't find any other reference).

5. SpeedKing

Or a Squier VM or CV? The VM before the VM70 had but one string tree and a plastic insert. It's successor the current CV70 has one tree and a walnut insert. Both 9.5 radius. The former has synthetic bone and the latter genuine bone for their 42mm nuts.

I mention it only 'cos they both have vintage style tuners and there is something odd about that decal. I thought only Custom Shops and AVRIs got pat. pend. nos on decals?

6. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

MIM neck and body
    Nothing on the pickguard looks like Fender

The transformer/choke is highly unusual, and the wiring looks like some experiment
    What is it being claimed to be ?

knsmast likes this.
  7. David Hickey

David Hickey Strat-Talk Member

Well...ME: I'm the type of guy that thinks all guitars are... (Players). And you can't call it a Stratocaster if it was not made by Fender...USA, MIM, or anywhere else just as long as i'ts a Fender plant.

SO with that being said....It's a player that was put together with Some Fender (NOS)..parts and maybe other aftermarket.

knsmast likes this.
  8. tubejockey

tubejockey Strat-Talker

Looks like a DIY Varitone on a push-pull pot.

knsmast and CB91710 like this.
  9. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm not completely familiar with all of the variations on the imported '70s series, but AFAIK, the MiM Classic 70s had the bullet truss rod and 3-bolt neck plate.... I can't say that ALL of them did.

With no serial number, my suspicion is this is a Partscaster with a Squier neck and eBay decal. The body may have been refinished... there should be bar code stickers in the cavities with the part number.
    The pickguard is obviously aftermarket, and none of that wiring is factory.
    The hardtail is throwing me for a loop... those are pretty rare except on a couple of signature models. They were more common in the 70s when they were cheaper.

knsmast likes this.
  10. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Tom DeLonge with a replacement pickguard/pickup set maybe? They came in both surf green and some kind of light blue (can't remember what they called that one):

[​IMG]

These had "Tom Delonge" stamped on the neck plate; since someone replaced the pickup assembly with whatever is in there now (Allparts pickguard; doesn't appear to be factory Fender wiring/parts; not sure of the pickups) they could have also swapped to a blank neck plate.

The serial number would on the back of the headstock; is there any indication where one might have been removed?

knsmast, 3bolt79, bluejazzoid and 2 others like this.
  11. Skinny Nitro

Skinny Nitro Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

John C has nailed it. Tom Delonge body part number is 58271

Service diagram shows 4 colors
    0058271504 Daphine Blue
    0058271506 Black
    0058271557 Surf Green
    0058271563 Graffiti Yellow

The pickup label would suggest Seymour Duncan Antiquities.

knsmast and Kestrel like this.
  12. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Right. Delonge body with a different loaded guard. Might be a Squier neck, might be Fender with a new logo. The Delonge headstock looked like this.

[​IMG]

knsmast likes this.
  13. SpeedKing

Hmm, could be a refinished Delonge headstock or a Squier VM/CV headstock but knowing either would have to be refinished to get that decal in the OP the only way to tell would be serials (back of headstock for both from factory) or comparison with known examples of either.

My guess is it's a whole Delonge with just swapped guard and decal for the slightly vintage vibe the previous owner wanted.

Does the OP have a photo of the rear of the headstock ...whether they'd have different 'Klusons' from factory since they're very different price points and whether that's observable I don't know.

knsmast likes this.
  14. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

That looks like a Duncan Invader... maybe the hottest or 2nd hottest non-active pickup available.

knsmast likes this.
  15. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, all of them had 3 bolts and a bullet, and ash bodies. That was specifically what made them Classic '70s.

knsmast likes this.
  16. SpeedKing

Were there not some Alder versions through the years for the solid colours? Oly whites and blacks etc?

knsmast likes this.
  17. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

I had an Oly White one and it was ash. Also heavy as hell. As far as I know, they were all ash, as that was one of the specs for the series.

If there are exceptions in later years I am unaware of them, but I do know that they started out as ash.

As far as the guitar in the OP, I agree with others that it is a Tom Delong body, but it is a partscaster.

CB91710 and knsmast like this.
  18. knsmast

Gee, thanks everybody! I sure appreciate it. The Tom Delong body makes perfect sense. The large collection that this is from included a lot of parts as well, including a Tom Delong neck plate, and a couple single humbucker pickguards. one loaded like the last photo. The tuners are vintage style w/no Fender or markings besides the lines. There is also no serial number and no indication of removal. The finish and neck look very much like the MIM Classic Series small headstock ones I have handled. Thanks again on all the input.

CB91710 likes this.
  19. knsmast

No claims. I’m just moving the collection for the owner and among the dozens of perfectly stock, clean, contemporary Strats, one like this comes up that baffle me. Thank goodness there are folks like you all out there to clue me in. I appreciate. I though tI knew a lot about Strats until I started on this project.

20. knsmast

no serial number, or indication of removal. I’d be looking at the back of the headstock, but it’s clean as a whistle.