Stratocaster vs Les Paul vs Telecaster vs other (Most widely played electric guitar ever)

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by gretev, May 4, 2020.

1. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Gotta be the S-type, followed by Les Paul. Not sure if T-type is really above the various ES style semi-hollows out there - there are a LOT of those around too. But probably pretty close. And then SG, Firebird, Gretsch, Ric, Flying V, and everything else still players but much smaller players... I use S-type and T-type because it's a lot bigger than just Fender or the classic 3 or 2 single coil configurations of the classics. I've been a strat guy all my life - my current strat is not a Fender and it's not CALLED a strat, but it's all strat...

-Ray

Nate D and The_Whale like this.
  2. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

I would place the Ibanez JEMs and RGs pretty high up the ladder, maybe as #4. Massively influential design, and brought forth several sub genres of rock and metal for over 33 years by now.

3. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

I own 6 LPs, 6 SGs (all legit) and 1 MiM Strat plus a partscaster. I think that Strats might have a small lead but throw out the counterfeits and copies (or include all the counterfeit Gibsons) and the numbers are probably pretty close.

4. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talk Member

IMO and IME, the Stratocaster by far. Infinitely more versatile than the Les Paul as validated by the professional use of it over a much wider range of musical genres - rock, jazz, blues, country, R&B and even Folk (remember when Dylan went electric?!). Telecaster a close second. LP for rock (despite Mr. Les Paul's original intentions) - history bears that out. I'm not talking about "you can use it for any kind of music, it's the player that counts" types. I'm talking about documented history of the guitars used by professionals.

The_Whale likes this.
  5. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

I think that your conclusion is somewhat biased based on your sample. "The guys I know with Strats..." (plural) implies people who own multiple Strats. In the context of what you said, in order to remove the bias from your sample, you would at least need to also survey guys with Les Pauls (plural) to see how many Strats (if any) that they own.
    For example if your surveyed people who frequent lespaulforum.com or mylespaul.com, you would probably get the exact opposite results to what you are seeing from multi-Strat owners.
    All that being said, in the end I suspect that the answer IS Strats. Mid to upper end LPs have traditionally been pricier than the equivalent Strat, although the current LP pricing under the "new" Gibson is more in line with Strat pricing. Also, there have been more lower-end Strats (cost-wise) than Les Pauls over the years although I think that currently there are very similar price points available, in fact the lower end Epiphone LPs cost less than a Squier Bullet.

Bladesg likes this.
  6. ChukkerNation

ChukkerNation Senior Stratmaster

I think the better questions is which guitar is most iconic. You're wanting to create a time capsule for Rock and Roll. You can include only one guitar, which one makes the cut. I think it comes down to the Strat or the LP but I think it's a toss up as to which one goes in the capsule.

easterik likes this.
  7. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Strat-O-Master

A country mile!

8. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

If Gibsons were Partscasters like Fenders are, I'd have a bunch more Gibsons.

9. lbpesq

lbpesq Strat-Talker

The Big Five of Rock ‘n Roll:

Strat
    Tele
    Les Paul
    SG
    ES335

#6?
    Rickenbacker 360

Bill, tgo

10. Vermoulian

Vermoulian Strat-Talker

The OP posed several questions, and I don't think the answers are the same for all of them. And IMO,

No, I don't think shredder super-Strats should be considered in the same category as regular Stratocasters. It's a continuum, but by the time you get to a high-output-humbucker-equipped shredder with a flat fretboard and a Floyd Rose, there's basically no overlap with the regular SSS Strat as far as market or application. I think the classic Charvel/Jackson/Ibanez shredder is a different thing, even if the basic shape is similar.

Anyway, to the OP's questions:

I think this one is pretty safely the Strat. I'd say after that, shredders might be next---there are a TON of them out there. It would not surprise me if LPs came ahead of Teles, but I have no guess as to whether they, or SGs, rank in relation to each other. But I think all of them almost certainly come well ahead of other guitars (335s, Jags/Jazzmasters, whatever else you have).
    I don't think there is any answer to this question. It's tough to answer because almost by definition hard-core gear nerds will probably be nerdy about more than one type of guitar. But the other thing I've noticed is that if you dig into almost any type of guitar there's an almost bottomless well of nerd obsession out there about it.
    For this one, I'd have to go with the Les Paul. A nice Les Paul is a fine guitar, but in my perception people get all starry-eyed, and pay more ridiculous prices, more often with respect to LPs than their utility as instruments merits, and while there are people who get equally ga-ga over esoteric Fenders, I think they're more of a fringe element of Strat or Tele players, whereas I think the average LP player is more likely to be over-the-top and buy deeply into the LP legend.

gretev likes this.
  11. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

It should be the Strat, but the kids are all getting the LP type guitars, more for the overwound humbuckers than anything else.

12. Hanson

Hanson Strat-Talker

The 3 Kings.

Strat, Tele and LP

Stonetone likes this.
  13. Bladesg

Bladesg Funk Meister Strat-Talk Supporter

Absolutely. I didn't hide the bias because IME it's true that more people have multiple Strats then they do LP's. I understand that if you sampled a different audience like 'My Les Paul' forum you would likely get guys saying the opposite.

albala likes this.
  14. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

Gotcha, and all my talk about bias doesn't mean you can't just speak from your gut. In fact, un-scientifically speaking, I totally agree with you about the number of multi-Strat owners versus multi-LP owners!

gretev and Bladesg like this.
  15. gretev

gretev Strat-Talker

I agree with all of this!

16. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

I'm thinking Strat s definitely.

17. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

Yeah but then you need to define, "rock and roll" . If you changed that to say, "popular recorded music" , I think it would be the Strat by a lot. Most people on here probably recognize that he Strat is the best guitar in the world, lol.

ChukkerNation likes this.
  18. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Strat-Talk Supporter

I haven't done this, nor do I intend to, but it might be interesting to go somewhere like YouTube and search for live videos in a number of different styles...watch the first 10 or 20 in each category and take a count. It might be telling. Otherwise, we're all just speculating and has been mentioned, injecting a lot of bias.

19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

That is still not exactly a scientific survey. It would also be pretty time consuming, and I really don't care that much. :whistling:

Nate D and Bob the builder like this.
  20. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Strat-Talk Supporter

Oh, same here, but it would at least give a small amount of evidence, as opposed to just off-the-cuff speculation...but I too, do not care enough to do it myself! :)

I will say though, that I think it would reveal (non-scientifically, to be sure) that the Strat is less dominant than many think...but that's just me speculating.