Stratocasters "Not cool" right now. My opinion.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by WilseyFanPDX, Feb 8, 2020.

1. chrose1201

chrose1201 Strat-Talk Member

Interesting point. My son plays "melodic hardcore" https://tiredeyes585.bandcamp.com/ and when he started to play guitar I got him a BC Rich because to a kid they were cool looking. When he bought his first guitar he got a Tele?!? Then he got a Jaguar?!? where the hell did these choices come from. I played Strats and Ibanez so he discovered these on his own. So I am seeing what you mean. I guess its a way to rebel from the status quo. However he did buy himself a customized guitar from Balaguer so I guess in the long run he is his own man after all :)

2. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

According to Keith Richards (cool guy), " If you have to think about being cool, you ain't cool. "

3. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-O-Master

Funny, I don't think of country music at all when I look at my Tele. I just see an incredibly versatile instrument. Blues(Muddy), rock(Stones), country(take your pick:)), jazz(Ed Bickert), punk(The Clash).

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  4. Doug B

Doug B Strat-Talker

Agreed. If you're concerned about what's cool you probably aren't cool. The really cool kids buy what they want and leave the rest.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Silvercrow and circles like this.
  5. JP68

JP68 Strat-Talker

My first electric guitar was an Ibanez Strat copy, in bright yellow (it was the early eighties!) because I didn't know any better :). Once I did know better I bought my beloved Tele which I play to this day. Coming out of punk, Strats struck me as "dude guitars," built for wailers and wankers. Teles were down to earth.

Fast forward thirty years and in my middle age I wanted a Fender that was a little more subtle, and I picked up a Strat for the first time in forever, and fell in love. So easy to play, so versatile.

That said, in my music room is an old dresser with a mirror, and when I catch a glimpse of myself with the Strat on, I look like a dork. A Tele just looks better on me!

6. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Since the 70s?

Do the letters SRV ring a bell?

chrose1201 likes this.
  7. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

You missed out T and U and they're in the wrong order. Give me a clue?

8. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

I'm cool.. I play a Tele.. :cool:

Those other guitars in my avatar are just artistic licence..

9. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

Really? Not again dang it! Is it 1990 again?

In the 80’s when everyone was dressed in neon spandex playing shredder guitars against a background of electric drums and synths, I was sporting my semi-hollow body Ibanez. In the 90’s when everyone was playing detuned offsets into broken Sears Roebuck amps, I was playing my semi-hollow body Ibanez. In the 2000’s I have no idea what the rest of the world was doing but I was playing my semi-hollow body Ibanez. Being cool was never something I thought I could do very well.

These days I’ve got a Tele-partscaster that sounds very rock and roll and a couple of Strats. Oh, I still have my Ibanez too. I don’t think I need anything else.

This is what I’m playing this weekend.

6B700DC0-38D8-4C51-B960-4EA01AD300E0.jpeg

Also have one of these if the cool kids want to jam

300A34E0-5A73-478E-826F-8FD54F2795D0.jpeg

Been playing this since the early 80’s. It’s so cool!

7D5F8E01-48E9-4FD5-AE26-A88497B2B543.jpeg

10. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

When a person does what they think is cool, without caring about whether anyone else agrees, that’s what makes a person cool - and that is also what paves the way for something truly unique and great to suddenly appear out of nowhere...

...inspiring the next generation of “cool wannabes” until the next truly new cool person sparks the next truly new cool thing...

...until our sun eventually burns out and coolness is no longer a major concern for the last humans living on Mars...

...unless, of course, extraterrestrial Elvis impersonators spread the concept of “coolness” across the universe...

alienelvis1.gif

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Andrew Wasson likes this.
  11. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

For youngsters I don't think SRV was cool either (definitely the case in the UK). Obviously he was much admired by older blues fans, but unless I'm mistaken I don't think he was much admired by teenagers.

Once you get past teenagehood "cool" isn't something you care about as much.

12. Cyberi4n

Cyberi4n Strat-Talker

A couple years ago I was in a metalcore band, active on the U.K. metal scene. I started off with my Blue PRS Cu24, then progresses to an ESP Horizon hard-tail with a Bareknuckle in the bridge.

All the other bands played ESP or Mayonnes, super strat or tele shape, and the mayonnes is I think slightly offset - some also played Ibanez, but not many. For such music, not a BC Rich in sight.

Here’s Scarlett in all her glory

chrose1201 likes this.
  13. roadhog96

roadhog96 Senior Stratmaster

My Tele sounds better than my Strat to. It has to be the difference between the pickups. I wouldn’t want them sounding the same but theres room for some improvement just haven’t spent the time trying different pickups, it’s way to expensive.

14. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

My Tele sounds phenomenal. Tonerider Vintage Plus in the bridge and a Twisted Tele in the neck, Fender TBX tone circuit, brass compensated barrels, tusq nut, rosewood board. Plug it straight into a simple tube amp and it just kills. It probably twangs but I wouldn’t know how to do anything with that. It definitely rocks though and seems to always outshine my Strats.

Just put a set of Vintage 54 Pro pickups from Bootstrap USA in my Strat yesterday. My Telecaster has some competition in the tones department now. Seriously excellent set of pickups. I like the neck and middle at least as much as the Set that came stock in my Eric Johnson Strat. I’m still undecided on the bridge pickup. I need to spend some time with it to be sure. Check them out when you’re looking for an upgrade.

Stratwrangler and roadhog96 like this.
  15. rze99

rze99 Strat-Talker

I agree. I like to play Strats sometimes. A Strat is the last of my guitars I’d use for an photo shoot Or videos though. I just did a video shoot and used a Jazzmaster.

16. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

When I went to buy my first electric, it was an LP copy. Why? Because it looked like a (acoustic) guitar, that's all really. I didn't know who Gibson was, or Fender. Honestly, when I started looking, I thought Strats looked 'weird, or advanced, or specialty' guitars. (I know why they put 'wings' on the Log.)

Remember, all I knew about was how to play cowboy chords on my $50 Sears acoustic. I wasn't trying to be like Hendrix, or Gilmour, I just wanted to get an electric and play some bits on it, and the style looked more approachable. I guess different motivations.

17. Will Lefeurve

Will Lefeurve Most Honored Senior Member

I was with an incredibly attractive woman one night. She said to me.. "Will, you're so cool you're making me hot". I replied yeah, but steady on gal, you're making me melt. I was dribbling really, but when you're cool you just say the right thing at the right time.. :cool:

Stratwrangler and BuddyHollywood like this.
  18. slowesthand

slowesthand Senior Stratmaster

Understood, but my reply was to a post about Strats not being "cool" since the 70s.
    I remember the 80s, yes pointy Superstrats were popular. But a regular Strat was far more popular in the 80s than Teles or Les Pauls.

In addition to SRV, Yngwie Malmsteen was playing a Strat as was Mark Knopfler and they were getting plenty of attention and Clapton's career was experiencing a resurgence after the release of his Crossroads compilation.
    Les Paul's didn't come back into popularity until Slash came along with GNR.
    Teles were probably at their lowest point of popularity outside of country.

19. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

Yes I can... the Ferrari 288 GTO and Testarossa and also the 1978-1989 Porsche 911 Turbo... and maybe the McLaren F1 GTR.
    But, actually I totally agree with you 100% on the strat (see my avatar)!

Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Doug B likes this.
  20. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

Exactly.

Here's what I always say...
    Since it is not 1953 right now, there is no reason anyone should be forced to play a Tele or Les Paul.
    However, if you really like sharp wood corners jabbing you in the chest and forearm, by all means... enjoy! After all, it is not my place to judge anyone or anything. But this is my thinking on Teles and Les Pauls.
    (For the record, I plan to make a hardtail strat someday because Teles sound really cool for some things).