Join Strat-Talk Today

Stratocasters "Not cool" right now. My opinion.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by WilseyFanPDX, Feb 8, 2020.

1. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

Here in 2020 no one knows who Yngwi Malmsteen is. I started playing electric guitar in 1997 and I didn't know who he was until 10 years later when I saw someone mention him on the old Harmony Central forums.

For the sake of the Telecasters reputation, I hope that all these new artists choosing it for their new music doesn't ruin the Telecaster's reputation.

2. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

There's no accounting for taste! Musicians (many) pull an entirely different guitar on stage for different songs and/ or styles.

Stratocasters may well outsell the others on a daily basis?

3. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

And VanHalen was playing a Strat off and on in the late 70’s and 80’s too. Jeff Beck was playing a Strat pretty much exclusively. Richie Sambora was on a Strat. The Edge was playing a Strat throughout the 80’s. Aside from Eric Clapton, SRV and David Gilmour, Blues guys were killing it on Strats, Eric Johnson, Colin James, Jeff Healey, Rory Gallagher, Robert Cray immediately come to mind.

I remember Les Paul’s being way out of style and same with Telecasters in the 80’s. I wasn’t sufficiently talented to play a Strat so I stuck with my Ibanez.

4. Stonetone

Stonetone Strat-Talker

Don’t forget metal and shredders. John 5 and Joe Duplantier :)

joebloggs likes this.
  5. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-Talker

Music to my ears. It just so happens I’m a car guy, and like old European cars. Hard to beat a clean 930...

6. scooteraz

scooteraz Strat-Talker

I don’t need anyone else to tell me which guitars ar cool and which aren’t. I only own cool guitars!

7. chrose1201

chrose1201 Strat-Talk Member

That looks like an Ibanez AS50 except for the logo on the headstock.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  8. sgarnett

sgarnett Senior Stratmaster

I’ve never been cool. Sometimes cool catches up with me, sticks around for a drink or two, and then vanishes into the night. That is just her way. She is the wind, and chasing her is a fool’s errand.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    BuddyHollywood likes this.
  9. davidKOS

davidKOS back to musical work Strat-Talk Supporter

Trying to be cool is a sure way not to be.

Frankly, the pursuit of "coolness" is a waste of time.

It's best to be yourself.

10. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

People might say we're a heavy punk/hard rock band. We use a lot of distortion... I've had someone come up to me after a show and say I should be using a more metal guitar like Jackson for Schecter instead of a Fender Strat... I love my Strat though, never changing it

11. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Those independent artists are becoming more and more common as self publishing becomes easier. Indie music as a genre though... Meh.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  12. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

Coolness becomes dated really, really quickly.

davidKOS likes this.
  13. montemerrick

montemerrick t minus 30 and holding Strat-Talk Supporter

14. tanta07

tanta07 Strat-Talker

Stratocasters have been around long enough to ride out several phases of not being cool.

The legend goes that Clapton and Hendrix used to buy Strats by the bunch since they were cheap because no one wanted them at the time.

But hey, if you're terribly concerned about having uncool guitars, I'll be glad to take them off your hands for a few bucks.

Andrew Wasson likes this.
  15. sgarnett

sgarnett Senior Stratmaster

That’s how I feel about pau ferro fretboards. :whistling:

tanta07 likes this.
  16. Mind Flayer

Mind Flayer Strat-Talker

I'm not sure if it's really accurate to say that strats are less popular among the young folks. At a minimum, they're still hugely popular OVERALL, without taking age into account. If you go into a guitar center, strats are one of the highest concentration of models available; maybe les pauls depending on the store. They stock what sells, so strats must be selling.

Maybe it is true for the younger set. But these things move in cycles. Back in 1990, when I first started playing, strats were, at least to me and my friends, decidedly uncool. I associated them with eric clapton, who I was not a fan of (I have since come to appreciate his late 60s and early 70s stuff, but his 80s and beyond stuff, which is what I was familiar with at the time, still sounds pretty lame to me). We thought Gibsons were cool, mainly because of Slash. At a minimum, the guitar had to have humbuckers -- we thought, these are more advanced, they get rid of that noisy hum, so they must be better.

Back then, though, pre-internet, there was so little information available, so we kind of just went by what the players we really liked played. I didn't appreciate the difference between single coils and humbuckers -- I thought that the only difference was that humbuckers got rid of hum, so I thought, why would anyone ever want a single coil? Had strat-talk.com existed back then, I might have gotten interested in them at an earlier age, and the internet would have exposed me to a lot of other strat greats.

The strat may oscillate in popularity versus other models, but it will always be there and will always be a staple for as long as people are playing electric guitars.

jtoomuch likes this.
  17. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

When I took my now 16 year old daughter guitar shopping she was drawn to Teles and Duo Sonics. She listens to a lot of Indie music and I think that was the influence.

In the end she chose the Duo Sonic. I believe the appeal of it was that it's not a guitar you see that often and it's quirky in its design and look. I get that. When I was her age, I lusted for a Strat because all of the guitar players I knew had either Ibanez or Gibsons...I wanted something a bit different.

Whatever motivates people to play is good!

Watching the bands at my daughter's high school, I see a lot of SGs and PRSs.

EC Strat-boy likes this.
  18. uber_beetle

uber_beetle Strat-Talk Member

Totally agreed. It was around the same time I got into playing... I so desperately wanted a Les Paul because Jimmy ****in' Page. My local music store had this vision of a guitar a white and gold Gibson LP Custom. No black on it what so ever... I was so in love, I dreamed about that guitar. Alas it was not meant to be.This teenager did not have $1400 to blow like that.

The last thing I ever wanted was a Strat. They were so... Lame. They all seemed to be sunburst, ugly brown things with those horns... They looked like country music to me. And then it happened.. I saw Live at the El Mocambo and it was all over. My heart (and first real paycheck) belonged to a Strat.

Took me 25 years to finally buy a Les Paul.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  19. davidKOS

davidKOS back to musical work Strat-Talk Supporter

Because instead of defining coolness as truly being yourself, our culture has chosen to market coolness as "following the latest trends", which of course have to change every 6-12 months for sales purposes.

Did I say that? :eek:

What I mean - being current with the latest styles are not the same thing as being "cool". But that is how it is marketed. Style superficially changes all the time. Coolness is supposed to be more timeless. But if coolness really is just "I want to impress everyone else" than it has no reason to exist anyway.

Now, we need to change all the time too, to just live in the world...but we need to be honest and true to ourselves, and if that isn't the essence of cool than I give up.

It's cool to stop now. :whistling:

20. ibb1

ibb1 Strat-Talk Member

Brutus likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.