Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Stratocasters should have Blue Tooth...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by skypeace, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Artunes

Artunes Strat-Talk Member

Mar 16, 2017
    Oshkosh B'Gosh

2. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    They already do
    Lyposuction, boob jobs, nose jobs, permanent make up yadda yadda.

3. montemerrick

montemerrick spiritual birthday, April 1 Strat-Talk Supporter

Apr 13, 2015
    cascadia
    and really why not some kind of robot to massage your feet while it plays your chords for you... also a pez dispenser in the headstock. i mean wtf Fender.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. LeicaBoss

LeicaBoss Strat-O-Master

Sep 4, 2015
    New Jersey
    Quick mental health check. The average age of all my guitars is over 10 years.

Think of how many digital gizmos and gadgets that you have that are over 10 years old and still relevant and working.

Why would we put those in high end guitars?

6. Fuzzpop

Fuzzpop Ryan-Ola Strat-Talk Supporter

Aug 14, 2012
    Washington, D.C.
    I'm not saying I'd shun someone who wanted all that stuff in a guitar. But I don't think it's necessary by any means to keep the guitar relevant. What a guitar "should" or "shouldn't" have is wildly personal.

7. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Strat-O-Master

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    Ummmm....
    But, see....the thing is, umm, wood's not really recyclable, either. You can't, uhh..., you can't melt it down and reuse it, either.

I mean, if you wanted to, you could recycle it into heat, I guess.
    ...or mulch! You could definitely recycle it into mulch.

8. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I don't think something always needs to be recyclable to be good for the environment. What happens to dead trees, for instance? I imagine the wood from dead trees probably gets broken down by termites and other bugs. The same could happen to wood from guitars that gets discarded.

skypeace likes this.

9. GunMonkeyINTL

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    Roger, but the poster I was replying to made the case against carbon fiber because it was not readily recyclable.

Wood is not, either.

Sure, it is bio-degradable, but for that to be meaningful in regards to the environmental impact of disused guitars, people who are disposing of them would have to strip the finish off and go lay them down in the woods somewhere. I'm not aware of anyone having done that, ever.

Most guitars that are disposed of are either burnt or tossed in the landfill...quite at odds with Fender's neck-plate sticker advising against that.

10. johnnymg

johnnymg Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Sep 5, 2015
    Central Coast Ca
    I'm considering getting a Strat or Tele (unfinished) Warmoth body and routing out a small pocket in the back for my Shure Wireless transmitter. :)

Would finish the body in Sonic Blue or Seafoam Green nitro.

skypeace likes this.

11. GunMonkeyINTL

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    Can NEVER go wrong with Sonic or Seafoam....or Daphne.

skypeace and johnnymg like this.

12. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2012
    Melbourne
    But recyclable doesn't just mean 'recyclable by us'. I mean our recycling is essentially just trying to do what nature has done since the dawn of time. Wood is THE ultimate recyclable material.
    The finish would peel off and then the wood parts (and metal) would break down chemically.

CF I think stays that way.

13. GunMonkeyINTL

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    Is wood going to do that inside a polymer-encapsulated land-fill? That is where most "disposed" guitars end up, and the landfill doesn't care if it's wood or CF, it's gonna hold what it's got.

I live in the middle of nowhere on a big plot of land. Any of my wood/paper waste either gets burned or turned into compost, but I'm probably the exception to the rule when it comes to disposing of wooden items.

skypeace likes this.

14. amagras

amagras Strat-Talker

Oct 26, 2016
    Ontario
    Are you sure you are not talking about Gib$on? :)

skypeace likes this.

15. Ah, but it is organic and breaks down naturally without adverse side effects (if it's naked wood of course) to the environment.

16. aviamsi

aviamsi Strat-O-Master

Aug 31, 2015
    Israel
    Did you see how Gibson's players reacted to the robotic tuning system?
    I can just imagine what will happen here :D:D

circles likes this.

17. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Jan 10, 2014
    Initech, Inc.
    What a waste.
    There's totally room for a few more knobs under the tailpiece...

18. AlexJCRandall

AlexJCRandall Strat-O-Master

Sep 11, 2012
    Melbourne
    There is almost no old stuff that doesnt crack or split, even if it doesn't break down. If its in landfill you have goodness knows what else scraping against the body.

So yes, the wood will break down.....no question about it.

19. GunMonkeyINTL

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    ...and carbon fiber is organic, too (hence the "carbon" in the title). The stuff in carbon fiber that is not carbon is very similar to the paint that's found on a modern poly guitar.

So, again, unless you're going to strip down your wooden guitar before disposing of it in the woods somewhere, a carbon fiber and a poly-coated wooden guitar are not that different from an environmental standpoint. And, even then, what are you going to do with all the paint dust your stripped off the guitar?

Wood is a matrix of carbon, mixed with other elements that the tree picked up and assembled into cells. Carbon fiber is a matrix of carbon that man assembled in a lab. Both are coated in polymer before being turned into a guitar.

By that logic of eventuality, then, by the time the landfill hull breaks down, and everything inside it has crushed itself, the carbon fiber shell would have been crushed and ground up, as well.

20. If you had actually read my responses you would have seen in both that I specified the wood should be naked (unfinished)- thus, no polymer finishes, no nitrocellulose finishes, etc. As for the carbon fiber, the carbon based fabric is encased in resin (very similar to fiberglass); a polymer, a plastic, and will exist millennia after that naked wood has decayed and been soaked up into the roots of other plants. Just as a leaf is organic, if you encase it in plastic, it will last pretty much forever in the same way. Capisce?

21. GunMonkeyINTL

Feb 5, 2015
    NC
    Yes, I capisce. I capisce the heck out of it. I read your posts, and acknowledged in mine that bare wood would degrade more readily than carbon fiber. Now, let's see if you capisce, and actually read my post.

After acknowledging that bare wood would degrade more readily than a carbon fiber construct, I then took the conversation to what I saw as the next logical step, and caveated that modern guitars are not bare wood.

Even if the intent was to make them into bare wood, totally biodegradable instruments, going forward, this is a Stratocaster forum, so it's a safe assumption that most readers expect their guitar to have pickups, some solder, metal strings, probably a pickguard, some screws, etc.

The guitar that you're describing, that would auto-recycle itself, would be a hand-made, wax finished ukulele with friction tuners and gut strings. That is cool, and I'd love to have one, but I doubt many people would be down with limiting their guitar prospects to only that.

If we're comparing a handmade traditional ukulele to a ukulele made out of carbon fiber, then, yes, there is a significant evironmental difference between the two. But, if we're talking about electric guitars with modern appointments, then, not so much.