Stratocatre de challenge #113

screamineagle

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 23, 2010
Cambridge, Ma
Play a pop/or not melody for us with your different resources. Make it sing out so we could identify it if it were it's only track. Maybe try to play a pop melody instrumental arrangement or solo note melody would be cool too and have us guess what it is. Singers are welcome too as that can also provide a melody.... Uh duh! Use some soul, spirit or shredding aggression whatever the kids call it these days.

Just play a melody and present it in a way you think would work

Ps. I triple dog dare anyone brave enough to do a Robert Plant melody, you will get extra strat talk challenge accolades : )

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Great challenge idea. I love that these challenges are focusing on creating original music again. I'm in.

StratMike10

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Apr 8, 2010
Florida
Not sure if we are to play an original or a cover... I was thinking screamingeagle was asking for something recognizable, but Mouse's post makes me think it should be an original.
Regardless, I'm in!

screamineagle

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 23, 2010
Cambridge, Ma
This is a loose challenge open to a bunch if different ideas. Be creative, interpret the way your mind views this challenge and go with it and Have fun with it

screamineagle

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 23, 2010
Cambridge, Ma
Great challenge idea. I love that these challenges are focusing on creating original music again. I'm in.

Well it does not have to be an original melody however even if it is not original it can be presented in a creative way. Mouse if you want to put up a melody of something you have composed then by all means, now I am curious what you have brewing

Doglier feel free to do a standard for us too if your up to it!

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
I'm definitely going go for something original. I don't have anything in mind yet. I generally just start noodling, see what comes out and start fine tuning from there.

Rastus

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 1, 2014
Australia
Ryan HiFi, that sounded like the intro to something pretty cool, I hope you continue on with it, & can someday give us a whole tune !

Strat Mike 10, that was such a nice little melodic tune that I've played it twice so far. Great sounding guitar & nicely played !

Cheers,

Rastus

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Ryan - nice vocal melody to Stairway. You've got me thinking maybe I should do something more along those lines than an original

Mike - If I had my way, you'd play nothing but acoustic (and you rip on electric). I could listen to stuff like this all day. Well played. Was that your composition or a cover?

StratMike10

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Apr 8, 2010
Florida
Thank you guys!
Mouse that was a song by Leo Kotke, been so long that I forgot the name, fortunately I didn't forget to play it.

Ryan, your submission finally made me understand what screamingeagle meant... been dense in the membrane these days, work is squeezing the spirit out of me this week.
VERY nicely played starway.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Thank you guys!
Mouse that was a song by Leo Kotke, been so long that I forgot the name, fortunately I didn't forget to play it.

Ryan, your submission finally made me understand what screamingeagle meant... been dense in the membrane these days, work is squeezing the spirit out of me this week.
VERY nicely played starway.

Yeah, I totally misinterpreted last night (long hours this week). I'll do something similar to Ryan's instead for this challenge.

Rastus

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 1, 2014
Australia
Hi all,

Thanks again Dogletnoir for doing the technical computer stuff for me LOL !

I hope you folks like the tune, it's got the usual culprits involved, though I think it may have been one of the last tunes I recorded with the Olympic-white guitar that's my avatar at the moment...

Anyhow, the challenge asked for a melody that you can sing back to, so I hope this ballad-like tune is easy to remember, & that you like it. Once again, all original number, played by yours truly !

Enjoy & thanks for listening,

Rastus

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
And here's mine:
Soul Thang
https://soundcloud.com/frostyjr2/soul-thang
direct link >
https://soundcloud.com/frostyjr2/soul-thang

It's a re-post of something i did awhile back;
i was listening to a lot of Robert Cray tunes and wanted to try something like what he might play.
i can hear his voice, or Otis Redding's on top of it in my mind.
Here's a mediocre attempt at playing the vocal part over it...
https://soundcloud.com/frostyjr2/soul-thang-2nd-version
direct link >
https://soundcloud.com/frostyjr2/soul-thang-2nd-version

These are the words:
Soul Thang

The path ahead is long, got many mountains still to climb
As I travel on along this road, I think about those I’ve left behind
So many souls still in darkness, all searchin’ for the light
One of these days, we’re gonna make it alright, make it alright

So many teardrops I’ve yet to shed, (so many teardrops)
So many sleepless midnights I’ve faced with fear and dread
Yet hiding somewhere in the darkness there’s always the promise of morning light,
All you ever gotta do is try to make it through the night, just make it through the night
Every tomorrow is a brand new day
And it brings another chance to do things the right way
Forget all your problems, your troubles and your sins
Just walk away, and try to begin again, begin again

You don’t have to walk alone, you’ll always have a friend
Just have faith, because I’ll be with you til the very end
All life’s trials and tribulations, that’s something we all have to face
When we finally get it right, we’re movin’ on from this place, movin’ on from this place

It’s just a soul thang, baby (repeat)

it's kind of about personal evolution, and spiritual growth.

Sorry, i'm not on it guitar-wise tonight, but i hope you get the idea...
i will have to try again tomorrow.

Last edited: