Stratoshirt...thrift store score and more!

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratSounds, Feb 17, 2020.

1. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

My wife dragged me out thrift store shopping yesterday, which can be painful, and it certainly was at times, but I relented and went along.

Glad I relented because I scored, big and small! On the small side, I came across this t-shirt. It fit and I had to have it, 2 bucks. Print says “For those about to rock”. It cracks me up that all the strats are lefties, which were probably righties until they all got mirror imaged during the screen printing process. It has the one big gold standout strat, then a bunch in the background, on a nice earth tone brown. I love it!

The strat shirt was a bonus because the BIG score happened earlier when I happened to be standing in the right place when an employee wheeled in some sporting goods stuff in a big bin and I immediately saw these bada$$ skis. Normally any skis at this place are ancient by ski technology standards, 80’s or 90’s, but I recognized these were a different animal right away and grabbed em quick for the once over.

They’re big honkin’ rockered powder boards made by a local boutique ski company here in SLC that is known for putting out high quality stuff. Yep, just like a lot of boutique guitar companies do. Welcome to ski city!

The tops have the normal dings, cuts and scratches you’d expect from used planks, but the bases are pretty damn spotless! And that’s what counts with skis. Mounted twice, all holes filled correctly. I still need to clean em up and do some sticker removal, but the art work is so good! It’s a mountain scene from sky to mountain to river to forest to grizzly bear, right up my alley! Both skis side by side complete the full scene.

The punchline...look closely at the price tag on the skis...$9.99! That’s insane! They’re 2016 models that originally retailed for over $700. They’ve got a lotta life left in em so I’m gonna mount em up and ski the hell out of em! I was in the right place at the right time for once because they would’ve been snatched up quickly here. Rare experience for me. I’ve been a bonafide dirtbag ski bum for the last 20 years that won’t pay retail for anything ski related, so I’ve been giddy about it all day!

8FAF35F2-88F5-4793-8EBE-0AB6D5B8143B.jpeg

FB728B24-2831-4A0A-95C6-C034E6EFA561.jpeg

s5tuart, vlxerdon, Deathray and 2 others like this.
  2. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I'm not a skier, but I can imagine what a similar deal on a Strat would feel like! Someone made a big mistake, but it definitely wasn't you. :D

3. Loner71

Loner71 Strat-Talker

good deal on the ski's, but what was up with the guitar in the background? ;)

StratSounds likes this.
  4. StratSounds

Yeah, the store didn’t know what they had with these particular skis, but they don’t care either. It’s a large high volume thrift store chain that primarily does clothing, but will take sporting goods and housewares, etc, as well. They don’t have the time nor the inclination to monkey with it, everything they sell is used and dirt cheap.

It’s not a consignment shop, you drop things off for free to get rid of them, part of their proceeds go to charity, and you get a tax write off for the value of whatever you dropped off. The guy who dropped off these skis could’ve made a few hundred bucks off of them easily elsewhere, but decided to just get rid of them by donating them. There are so many pros and sponsored skiers around here, who knows. The guy probably gets skis for free and it was just easier to drop em off and then write em off. Works for me!:)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  5. StratSounds

That’d be my 2009 American Standard in Blizzard Pearl, that I bought used for cheap, but much much more than $9.99:D, in the background. Took that shot of the shirt today at my house.;)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Loner71 likes this.