Stratosphere recent experiences

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dbb541, Apr 7, 2021 at 2:41 PM.

1. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

Do any of you order parts from Stratosphere? I have ordered several necks and lots parts over the years. While I've generally been very happy with them, lately I have had a couple bad experiences and am wondering if something has changed. Anyone else having bad experiences with them?

They sent me a licensed tele neck that had a super high/tall 12th fret. Every string choked out even with the action high. I am able to fix this type stuff but know some DIY'ers aren't. I was surprised it made it out the door.
    Then I ordered 3 tele control plates. Tracking showed they were delivered, they weren't. I gave it a couple days and still no delivery so I emailed them and got no response. I opened a dispute with ebay, wasn't sure what else to do. Still no response other than Ebay telling me to look around my house and ask my neighbors (I'd already done that). Then the control plates show up. Well, I'm not sure where these are made but they're too wide to work with a standard tele pickguard, the auction didn't mention this....uhg! I realize I can make this work and it's not that big of a deal but it's more the point of it.
    So I tried to leave neutral feedback and EBay wont let me. Now the purchase is not even showing under my purchases. I can't leave feedback at all. I guess Stratosphere is such a big player Ebay won't let me leave neutral feedback.

Look, I get these are minor issues, I just wish these guys would communicate with me.
    IMG_3330.jpg IMG_3329.jpg IMG_3330.jpg IMG_3329.jpg

2. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I've not had any issues with them, but I order direct from their site or Reverb. I have not used Ebay in years.
    A "licensed" neck is not a Fender product... it just means that the company has paid a licensing fee to Fender to be allowed to use their headstock shape.
    The licensed neck is NOT authorized to display a Fender decal.

Not having been made by Fender (or even made by Fender) the quality issue of the neck is on the manufacturer. High frets are not uncommon and even new guitars generally benefit from a level and recrown.
    New necks are generally good enough to get the action into the 4 to 5/64 range with relief at .010, but no production line is perfect and defects do slip through production.

Is that (supposed to be) an actual Fender control plate and pickguard? What's your measurement on the width of the plate? I'm sure someone on the forum with a Tele would be willing to measure theirs to compare.

Stratafied likes this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I'd think it's more likely that the time limit for feedback was passed, or something else similar happened. I've never heard of eBay not allowing feedback based on how big a player a seller is.

4. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

Maybe you're right. All I know is, I've tried leaving neutral feedback the last 3 days in a row and Ebay won't let me. Each time, when I click "submit" they say to contact the seller before leaving neutral feedback. I've already contacted the seller and had no response. Now today, the purchase is completely gone.

Triple Jim likes this.
  5. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

I just realized it still shows up on the ebay app on my phone. It's not showing when I sign in on my computer. I took a few screen shots.
    IMG_3441.PNG IMG_3442.PNG IMG_3443.PNG

6. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

You could try contacting the seller again, whether or not they respond, to see if that makes feedback possible.

7. LeftCoast

LeftCoast Strat-Talker

Either the pickguard or the plate are wrong, and as long as you are certain the guard is legit, that plate would be going back, were it mine. You didn't purchase this to have to refit it to suit your needs.

A recent experience on EBay left me doing feedback, and I noticed they wouldn't allow any NEGATIVE feedback for another week or so, after item was received. In 20+ years, I can't remember ever needing to leave negative feedback (this time was no different), but I usually only deal with overwhelmingly positive sellers.

I'm thinking perhaps they don't allow a negative to be registered now until there's a "cooling-off" period, to allow/promote communication and resolution to any problems or shipping delays. I know the USPO is having more delays than I've ever seen in my life, starting late summer last year :whistling:...maybe that's part of the problems as well.

CB91710 and dbb541 like this.
  8. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

I can't speak to the quality nor authenticity of the Tele bits but agree as above the neck issue was one for the manufacturer.

Regarding Stratosphere I recently bought a lot of stuff all together for a partscaster I'm putting together. I was initially just going to order a loaded Blackmore guard with the 1/4 pounders in to put into an ST72 but then wondered where I'd put that guitar's surplus electronics once they were removed.

I ended up with the Blackmore loaded guard then to build a partscaster based on the old loaded guard I also got a vintage bridge/trem assembly, some 'F' tuners and a neck plate and a genuine Fender replacement 60s body in 3tsb poly to set them in ... all perfect for a 4 bolt '71 tribute build!

All the individual parts were discounted but nonetheless after filling my cart I asked about a multi buy discount and got a tiny bit more off as well (first time customer etc). Importing here isn't cheap with postage and import taxes but everything that arrived was exactly as described and pictured and went together just perfectly. That said I did pay particular attention and cash to ensure I only got genuine and highest quality Fender parts.

Overall?

Very happy.

dbb541 likes this.
  9. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

I have 15 tele plates, tried them all, it's not the PG. And no, the ad did not say actual fender control plate, I knew it wasn't but assumed if the measurement weren't the same it would be stated in the ad. My fault for assuming.
    Agreed on the neck and I know what a licensed neck is, I've been doing this 20 years, the neck wasn't really much of an issue for me. Just that the other necks I have ordered have been much better. The point of my thread is to ask if anyone else is experiencing quality control or communication issues. That's all.
    Perhaps I'm being overly critical.

10. beerbelly

beerbelly Strat-Talk Member

A few years ago I bought an LP Junior husk from them, listed as their typical pristine condition. When it arrived (well packed), it had a small gouge on the inside edge of the cutout, through the finish. I contacted them (with photos), and they offered a $50 discount. I accepted, only because I can repair lacquer finishes. If I didn't have the skills to repair the finish, I would have asked for a refund. Fair enough for my situation.

dbb541 likes this.
  11. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

That sounds like a fair deal. I've looked at those Gibson husks many times but haven't pulled the trigger. How did it turn out?

In my situation, I'm not really after a discount or anything, I didn't spend much money. I'd just like some communication and I'd also like to leave neutral feedback. My experience this time around has been neutral and that's not likely to change at this point.

12. CB91710

I think you are being perfectly reasonable, given that they aren't communicating.
    I don't know what the lockdown status is in NH, but that is generally the excuse given (real or otherwise) for slow response to customer contact.

I have noticed that their inventory has been dropping like a lead balloon over the last 6 months. They have no Gibson bodies in stock, and it doesn't look like they have any American Professional necks.

dbb541 likes this.
  13. StratAlchemist

StratAlchemist Strat-Talker

So you have 15 new control plates and not a single one fit the pickguard? Or you tried the 15 and some do some don’t?

14. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Problematic to say the least....
    DIY folk are stuck with
    Run what ya brung..
    In many cases....

Good thing DIY auto mechanics...
    Don't get a Crankshaft kit with fit like thus....

dbb541 likes this.
  15. CB91710

Sometimes they do... that's why they make shims ;)

16. beerbelly

beerbelly Strat-Talk Member

"That sounds like a fair deal. I've looked at those Gibson husks many times but haven't pulled the trigger. How did it turn out?"

It turned out very nice. It was a 2015 model with the adjustable brass nut; I contacted Gibson about the titanium replacement and they sent one free. I used a Sanford Magnetics P90 (whatever happened to them?), USA pots & jack, and an Emerson PIO cap. Didn't use the Pigtail bridge; used a wraptail compensated for a wound G.

Lovely little guitar, except I was disappointed with the finish; very wavy. But sold for a substantial profit.

em3vl1vdhjjttgup7khy.jpg z3sbxnt0u1obbpdxfxlb-1.jpg g46ughqnz1yhim4stbju.jpg taug7cwflag8xgi0mvro.jpg

dbb541 likes this.
  17. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

I have around 15 in the parts drawer...I didn't try all 15, I was exaggerating, but believe me, I tried a couple, these are not to fender spec. I also have a standard black control plate and its thinner and is the correct size. I have ordered cheap tele control plates from china before to see if they were any good, they were also too wide, I think they're the same.

CB91710 likes this.
  18. Ace38

Ace38 Strat-O-Master

Ordered a pickguard last week...arrived fine, no problems.

19. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

Now you have me thinking maybe I'm crazy, lol. I'm going to try them all when I get home. I suppose there could be some made in china pick guards in there...I'm sure going to feel like an idiot if I'm wrong about this. I don't think I am though, been doing this a long time. I'm no real luthier, more of a wanna be hobby guy. Here are some of the tele parts casters I've done over the years.
    image (4).jpg image10.jpeg IMG_8658.jpg K.jpg image (3).jpg image (5).jpg IMG_1874.JPG L.JPG N.JPG

StratAlchemist likes this.
  20. Philo426

Philo426 Senior Stratmaster

You shouldn't have to but the radius of the pickguard can be modified so that the new control plates fit.