Stratosphere recent experiences

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by dbb541, Apr 7, 2021 at 2:41 PM.

1. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

Yes, I agree and know it is easy to do. A little bit of filing and problem solved, would only take a few minutes.

2. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I've bought lots of bodies, necks, and other parts from Stratosphere over the years with no issues. Then, I recently bought a loaded Squire Classic Vibe body and when it arrived, there were quite a few issues. (I started a thread about this a while back). The tremolo claw screw holes were so steep that the claw interfered with installing the back plate. 2 of the 6 screws that hold the bridge in place had their phillips screw slots completely stripped out and tightened down so hard that I ended up having to use vice grips to get them out so that I could adjust the bridge. This scratched and gouged the bridge plate significantly. Also, the out put jack "boat" was so badly plated that I had to replace it. I was able to correct all of these issues because I have the tools and skills to do so, and the end build came out beautiful. But my messages to them about this went unanswered and I cannot leave feedback either. I really think that the body I got was a 2nd, but the natural finish was really pretty and I didn't want to send it back. It DOES seem to me that something has changed at Stratosphere, but I hope is is just temporary....they have always been a good supplier to me!

dbb541 likes this.
  3. StratAlchemist

StratAlchemist Strat-Talker

Nice work on those. I put together my first Tele partscaster this year. I think it’s the only way I’ll get another guitar in the future. So rewarding. Nitro lacquer on Warmoth body, Warmoth rosewood boatneck, 6105 stainless frets, Callaham bridge with compensated saddles, Callaham control plate with heavy knurled knobs, Callaham neck plate with daughters birthday for the serial#, Fralin Blues Special pickups, Fender 60s mint pickguard, and topped it off with my daughters name for the decal. She’s five and loves it, calls it her guitar. Added a little piece of masking tape in control cavity like the originals, but with a special message for her when she gets older. I will sell everything before I let this one go. 0CD579D5-91F8-4111-B69E-5D899ABF4099.jpeg

dbb541 and Black59 like this.
  4. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Their value depends on how much you have in the spare parts box.
    A complete build, identical to a Slash LP with all original parts will end up being about $300 below street price once you add the case... but you also have no warranty.
    OTOH, my Flying-V was a couple hundred more than buying a complete build, but I wanted gold hardware and black plastics, so even had I bought new, I would have stripped it down to a husk anyways and the only thing that could have been reused would be the pots... even the switch and jack were upgraded to gold, so ultimately, buying new and retrofitting would have cost me about $600 more than the way I did it.

Fenders tend to be higher than MSRP because Stratosphere uses Fender pricing for necks and bodies, so you're already into it for $1100+ before you even look at the hardware.

If you have a good stock of spare parts in need of a body/neck, OR if you want something "made your own" to the point you'd be stripping it to a husk anyways, they can be a money saver.
    If you just want a Gibson or Fender as it came from the factory, stick with complete builds and you get the case and warranty.

V-Body.jpg

Blackmore Fan and dbb541 like this.
  5. GuitarGeni

GuitarGeni Strat-Talk Member

I've placed 3 or 4 orders with them recently with no problems at all. They did take a week or so to reply to my return request.

dbb541 likes this.
  6. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

Awesome! Love it!

7. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I've bought several necks and a bunch of parts from them. No issues. But it's been a year or two since I bought anything from them.

Here's one of the necks:

hardtail strat.jpg

dbb541 likes this.
  8. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

For the record. I’m not crazy . It’s too wide for all of these...

Attached Files:

CB91710 likes this.
  9. StratAlchemist

StratAlchemist Strat-Talker

Yeah that’s way off. I measured the Callaham plate and it’s 1.258” (31.96mm) the Fender pickguard at widest point is 1.271” (32.29mm) tight fit for sure. Edit: after digging on the net apparently there are two sizes of tele plates available, 32mm and 34mm, who knew.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021 at 10:14 PM
    dbb541 likes this.
  10. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Gold Supporting Member

I have bought things from them since they started, and pretty much all purchases have been positive experiences. However a couple years ago they stopped communicating about anything, I can’t get any questions answered, they simply will not address any messages at all.
    If you can deal with the lack of communication, as they will not give you the time of day, then all is cool... they will deliver.

dbb541 likes this.
  11. blackstratmaple

blackstratmaple Strat-O-Master

I bought two things from them, both were slightly damaged.

Strat body was chipped where the strap button is. Sent them a pic and they refunded $20.

Strat neck had a very small dent as though it got hit with a needle or maybe even a pen. Didn’t notice it right away so did not complain.

I received a fast response. This was December 2019 or so.

dbb541 likes this.
  12. dbb541

dbb541 Strat-Talker

Nice discovery. That’s news to me. Sounds like they should put the dimensions in the auction/ad then. I hope they start doing that, would be better for everyone.

StratAlchemist likes this.