Stress

ZlurkCorzDog

INMATE #7XX7XX7
Jan 20, 2012
THE PHANTOM ZONE
Chopping wood can help if one is set up for that, plus it's good cardio. Another technique I've used is the sledgehammer method.

Or just rocks. Caution: wear eye protection such as goggles.

henderman

Dr. Stratster
Dec 4, 2013
largo,fl
hope things are better for you 2, stress stinks. the breathing thing is real, glad you have had improvement already.

i read a book by a japanese guy who lived about 400 years ago, or at least the deciphering so it was probably close.

he said - you do not take 5 real breaths a day but if you learned to breath from your diaphragm and start taking more than the 5 it would change your life.

so i did the exercise until it was like playing smoke on the water and everything except my spelling and syntax got better. :)

doing some basic googling and u-toobing will bombard you with breathing patterns and techniques for different purposes.

heltershelton

Vivamus libero Vivamus duris
Jun 5, 2013
Texas
Having recently come very close to losing my partner due a heart attack brought on by stress, (no other risk factors, eats well, doesn't smoke, no family history, exercises religiously, not sedentary when not exercising, low cholesterol, good BP, and a 95% blockage of the left main artery) this is a topic I've taken a very specific interest in of late.

Since the only risk factor was stress, when we looked at that, there were outward signs of the effects of excess cortisol, (produced by stress) that were evident and confirmed this is where the focus should be. That, and she has a lifelong habit of stressing over every damn thing, so it was an obvious diagnosis.

In researching ways to help her reduce/cope/manage I came across something so damn simple you'd swear it was one of those stupid twatter life hacks that's don't really work, but are hailed as "genius", "life-changing" "everything!!!" and the like.

If you stress a lot and are trying to manage it, this might actually BE life-changing. It's called box breathing and it's something taught to Navy Seals to help them regain balance in stressful situations. She's a real skeptic but noticed the difference in her heart rate immediately. I, being even more skeptical, monitored my heart rate at various times and as I performed it and noted a significant difference.

So I'm passing it along for anyone who might need it. You can do this anywhere, anytime and inconspicuously. But most importantly it works.

Here's how it works:

1. Breathe in for four seconds.
  2. Hold air in your lungs for four seconds.
  3. Exhale for four seconds.
  4. Hold your breath, lungs emptied, for four seconds.

That's it.
thats pretty messed up man, but yeah, stress is bayud, mmmk?
this is what i do and it also takes stress away...
https://youtube.com/shorts/q4I7XFLj7xc?feature=share

Ruscio

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 14, 2016
Pennsylvania
Having recently come very close to losing my partner due a heart attack brought on by stress, (no other risk factors, eats well, doesn't smoke, no family history, exercises religiously, not sedentary when not exercising, low cholesterol, good BP, and a 95% blockage of the left main artery) this is a topic I've taken a very specific interest in of late.

Since the only risk factor was stress, when we looked at that, there were outward signs of the effects of excess cortisol, (produced by stress) that were evident and confirmed this is where the focus should be. That, and she has a lifelong habit of stressing over every damn thing, so it was an obvious diagnosis.

In researching ways to help her reduce/cope/manage I came across something so damn simple you'd swear it was one of those stupid twatter life hacks that's don't really work, but are hailed as "genius", "life-changing" "everything!!!" and the like.

If you stress a lot and are trying to manage it, this might actually BE life-changing. It's called box breathing and it's something taught to Navy Seals to help them regain balance in stressful situations. She's a real skeptic but noticed the difference in her heart rate immediately. I, being even more skeptical, monitored my heart rate at various times and as I performed it and noted a significant difference.

So I'm passing it along for anyone who might need it. You can do this anywhere, anytime and inconspicuously. But most importantly it works.

Here's how it works:

1. Breathe in for four seconds.

That's it.

That sounds pretty helpful, but I'm afraid to try it because if I lower my heart rate much more I'll be in trouble. I'm usually around 40, not many beats left to lose!

RaySachs

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 25, 2017
Philly area
If they come to mind, I'd appreciate you sharing them with me. I have her started on the meditation thing too. Luckily someone I met on here actually teaches it and he's been an invaluable resource, even at a distance. But that's a slow burn so anything like that can be helpful. Long term I think meditation is the answer.
If I think of any, I’ll let you know. Usually, it’s the kind of thing that I’ll remember if I use it, but otherwise it’s out of my head pretty quick. But I tried this one a couple of times and it feels like a quick form of meditation. But, yeah, I think some sort of meditation practice should do her some good…

Best to both of you,

-Ray

MTguitar

Strat-Talker
Jan 3, 2009
Montana
Here's how it works:

1. Flick the lighter
    Breathe in for four seconds.

That's it.

Fixed it for ya

Just kidding (well, kinda).

I’ve struggled with anxiety for a while. Not fun. Hopefully I don’t end up having long term health effects from it.

Oldboy

Senior Stratmaster
May 17, 2009
Land Of 1000 Dances
Reminds me of Yogananda's place out at the end of Sunset almost to the PCH....

Been there many times during my Los Angeles residency. What a fantastic place to escape the madness!
maxresdefault.jpg

3612663499_a28392bf04_b.jpg

p-p1000319_54_990x660_201404231801.jpg

Doc538

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Dec 10, 2017
Ma
I was taught a similar process back in the 70s for stress reduction, works well, but as time goes on we start to forget to do it… I found leaving a pop-up reminder on my DIGITAL phone to be a great help. It comes up only twice a month, but that's enough. Even with this, I ended up with a widow maker @97% blockage. Only one, All of the others were fine but the ladd had an anurism on it that must have caused the block and made OHS necessary, so I joined the zipper club.

Hope she is well and stays that way.

Last edited:

davidd47

Strat-Talker
Sep 11, 2012
non ya
Fasting, Juicing, Valerian, Ashwagandha, EFT Tapping and CBD therapy.

Juicing and Fasting will help clear up the blockage.

When you fast your body goes into a scavenging mode. Eats up all the ugly stuff first, excess cholesterol, cysts, tumors.

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/intermittent-fasting-surprising-update-2018062914156

Reduce or eliminate caffeine.

Avoid anything with "natural flavor" that is the new code word for MSG which is a neuro stimulant.

Just a few to look into for general wellness.

A health crisis is a great motivational tool to change old ways, my kidney stones sure changed mine.

https://www.jyi.org/2018-june/2018/6/1/the-endocannabinoid-system-our-universal-regulator

The movie Sick Fat and Nearly Dead is a good starting place for juicing.

Get her well, get involved and do it together as a team. Good health to you and yours.

Tone Deaf

Stratosaurus Magnificus
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2009
New Jersey, USA
Thanks for the tip.
Although I don't think that I’m particularly stressed,
It seems as though it might be a good exercise to practice anyway.

I hope your lady’s health continues to improve.