Striking a balance

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Wrighty, Jan 16, 2021.

1. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

With my 7 year old grandson playing a computer game. He’s been learning about WW1 and WW2 in school and finds it fascinating. The game is mostly shooting people trying to capture bases. I’m struggling with enjoying the game, ensuring he doesn’t think war is just a fun thing and telling him stuff that will be completely beyond his capabilities of dealing with emotionally. Bringing up my kids was a lot easier, pre-computers, Nintendo’s and stuff. Hope this isn’t stepping into ‘thread closed’ territory.

Jerseystratfiend and HazyPurple like this.
  2. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Yeah I play Battlefield and CoD (and various other FPS), none of those should be played be anyone under 13... and frankly I think it should be 18.

3. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Strat-Talker

You tell them to get off screens and find something else to do. We strictly limit video game for age appropriate and time spent per day

Believer7713 likes this.
  4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

Yeah, indoors we just had Airfix soldiers, tank, fighter and bomber kits. Outside, we used sticks if we hadn't got toy guns to shoot each other with. Kids today...

FrieAsABird likes this.
  5. Wrighty

We abide by their parent’s rules, though I’ll gently persuade him in the direction of less provocative games.

6. Wrighty

Somehow they were more innocent war games. ‘You don’t take your shots!’ Was a regular complaint! Mind, not much changes. I was constantly told ‘you’re not spending all of your time in front of that tele!’

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  7. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Have you tried him on Guitar Hero?

You may both enjoy that.

8. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Strat-O-Master

I am convinced that the habits of mind, sense of the world, sense our fellow human beings, terror of boredom, sense of entitlement to continuous amusement, anger when denied immediate gratification, blindered fixation on the present moment, dismissal of all not immediate and new, impatience with reflection, addiction to ersatz fulfilment in absolute isolation, and deadening solipsism: that these are all inconsistent with the values which have gotten us, for good or arguably ill, to our present way of thinking and living. Much of what we - I anyway - have cherished is in process of being dismissed to a nullity as irrelevant or oppressive by a third-rate misapprehension of the world as deep as blindness.

Perhaps I am complicitous in this cultural swan song, sitting here as I do day after day, lost in guitar stuff. "What's the difference?" might be a pretty fair question, as I sit here typing away on my computer.

Or maybe I myself am superannuated,and all I feel are reverberations merely of my aged irrelevance.

Let's hope at least that the end here will be entertaining, but I'm not holding my breath.

9. misterwogan

misterwogan Senior Stratmaster

Didn't you have a bow and arrow? The arrows had suckers for arrow-heads.

10. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Amen.

11. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

I've been a teacher of children for a long time.
    The fact that he's learning stuff like that in school makes me furious.
    One should NEVER teach children about anything they're not ready to DO/experience.
    It only confuses them.
    They can be forced to grow up, but it has terrible consequences.
    What else are they telling him about? Sex? The stock market? Driving a car?
    Just the stress of "early reading" can me mind numbing for children and parents.
    Anybody teaching a small child about war needs to be throttled.
    He's still in dream world.
    He needs to be SHOWN that the world can be a good place...a fair place...a beautiful place.
    **** like that drives me insane.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2021
    stratnutz likes this.
  12. CigBurn

CigBurn Total Hack

Historical museums at the proper age and time are both educational and bring elements of reality to specific periods in time.

Games are for play.