String differences. Can’t believe I’m asking this.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Justin226, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Blue Beagle

Blue Beagle Senior Stratmaster

I did… Straight back to Ernie Ball

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

SIT Pure Nickel or DR Pure Blues.

3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

$6.00/set or $13.00/ set ....
    Y'all know I'm a cheap bastid right?

Miotch, 3bolt79 and CB91710 like this.
  4. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

Mapes is a wire mill in Elizabethtown TN, they held a patent on piano wire in 1912. They are still in business and they still make strings. Of course that patent expired long ago.

These days there about a thousand wire mills in the united states. Many focus on common stuff like copper, steel and aluminum. But music wire is hardly a specialty. It's the main thing springs are made of. Every sizable wire mill makes music wire. I suspect it is viewed by the industry as a commodity, with the price of shipping a major component of the decision where to source wire. Which is usually moved in 2000 lb spools by truck or train. I doubt if any string winder outside north America uses Mapes, if only because string rusts easily.

D'addario does at least some of it's own wire milling. Idk about other companies.

5. Meghans Dad

Meghans Dad Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

It says it on the package.

Justin226 likes this.
  6. ripgtr

ripgtr Most Honored Senior Member

Do they? I have never seen any reference on their stuff that they do. Mapes used to have the logos of all the brands they provided wire to (it is gone now that they are doing their own) but it was a lot of the big names. D'Addario and EB I'm pretty sure were on there. A bunch of others.

Do you know who else makes string wire? I've been looking into it for ages, just out of curiosity, and have never found any others.
    I did find this site which lists 2, Mapes and one in Germany (not sure if they do the Pyramids and TI)
    http://www.fortepiano.com/index.php/products-menu-item/wire-menu-item

If you have info on someone who also actually makes the wire, please share. I've never been able to find anything. I did have a string winder specifically tell me, when I was looking for a couple high E strings, to get some EB ones. "Mapes Makes the plain wire so Ernie Ball will work fine." So, at least they do. I can't say, it is like some big secret, but I suspect, since no one talks about it, there is a Reason no one talks about it, in that they all use the same wire. Now, coating and windings are another matter, but the plain strings - maybe not, but I'd love to learn more if there is good info available.

7. greezy strings

greezy strings Strat-O-Master

I’ve been buying the JustStrings bulk -individual nickel strings.. I too like when the new zing mellows out a bit.. anyways for about $37 bucks shipped you get 12 complete sets..you get to customize your set and they sound good to me..

Wound_Up and Bakelite1 like this.
  8. greezy strings

greezy strings Strat-O-Master

Lol earmuffs!

Slacker G id Like to know where i can get them at that price.. that’s a great Deal! Thanks

9. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

NYXL's on all - expensive but the best string for feel and longevity and standing up to SS frets.

Boubou and Biddlin like this.
  10. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-O-Master

I like the D'Adarrio EXL 120Plus, (the .0095 to .044 set.) on my Fenders. Occasionally I'll go to the .010 to 046 set. Stretch them out and they stay in tune, don't break, and sound great as long or longer as any I've tried. $4.25 per set online. My local shop matches that price if I buy 10 or more sets at a time, which is what I always do. Why pay more?

11. SonOfLerome

SonOfLerome Senior Stratmaster

I use GHS gilmours. much better than EB IME

12. Bakelite1

Bakelite1 Strat-Talker

Just Strings is great. I got some British strings from them that are really very good. I've used the German ones, too but they cost!

13. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

The best budget secret squirrel out there are the Musician's Friend "Musician's Gear" brand.
    No frills, dirt cheap, and they're actually pretty good. No idea who makes them for MF.
    The balls are not colored, and are not rounded off on the edges, so they don't seem to be DR, D'Addario, or E-Ball.

I personally use DR Pure Blues 9-46, but they are not a budget brand, and I have never met anyone who has not spoken well of the MF strings. My custom builder uses them on all of his builds unless the customer specifies something else.

Maybe someone can recognize the balls?

20210921_194637.jpg

14. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

I don't like the color coding because I don't like the visible colored balls on my Tune-o-Matic tailstops.

Handsome McClane and 3bolt79 like this.
  15. Colnago1

Colnago1 Senior Stratmaster

I buy Ernie Ball or D’addario whenever they are on sale. I’ll buy 2 or 3 10 packs when they are so I always seem to have a lot of spare strings. I’m cheap, but like fresh strings so I change them when I need to, but this last year I’ve kept them on just a little bit longer as the prices all went way up.
    I don’t prefer any brand, but I don’t notice anything different with more expensive non coated strings. I don’t buy into the hype or frozen treated special metal process strings as the ones I have tried still needed to be changed out in 4-6 weeks.

CB91710 likes this.
  16. Cesspit

Cesspit Strat-O-Master

Tried lots of different strings but have always come back to EB sets. You know, I've never really thought about why though, never had a really bad experience with any manufacturer and I'd be hard pressed to tell you why I prefer EB. I just play the things.

Put me down as a 'don't know' :thumbd:

17. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Strat-O-Master

Please don't be an idiot!

18. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Amen brother! That is why I use Ernie Ball, besides the fact that they are brighter sounding. I hate the D’Addario packaging! I buy Ernie Ball a dozen sets at a time and manage to get them for 3 to 4 bucks a pack.

Blue Beagle and Handsome McClane like this.
  19. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

Just think about it. I use Ernie Ball Cobalt. They are 10 bucks a pack. 15 bucks for a 7 string set. That is nothing compared to what good strings for a classical guitar usually cost.

I have some sets that I make myself. I have the better strings which are about 50 bucks a set. I also use Savarez Cantiga bass strings , and pair them up with many different flavors of treble strings. I have a lifetime supply (about 70 sets even after giving about 30 sets away to people on the forum).

I buy D’Addario Xl 110 and 120 sets for my electrics and for customers guitars to just have a few around. However I will not use their nylon string sets, as they are the most barren, uninspiring sounding strings available.

SalvorHardin likes this.
  20. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

Same here. I'm pretty sure my last 3 pack of D'addarios was £15 - £5 a set is fine by me.

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.