Join Strat-Talk Today

String gauge myth

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thunderhopkins8, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Nerd

Nerd Strat-Talker

Scientific fact is that 11-50's cured me from social anxiety

2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

One thing I noticed is that nobody who disputes what the OP has posited has attempted to explain their position using physics or even a cogent explanation of their thoughts.

Just demonizing a different idea, calling it things like 'witch hoax'. What exactly is a witch hoax? ;)

Simon gave some interesting thoughts, as usual.

If you have a position, you should be able to at least attempt to put it into words other than childish barbs.

(not saying I didn't laugh at many of them, especially the guy from Tesla) ;)

3. dogletnoir

dogletnoir WBLV Strat-Talk Supporter

De gustibus non disputandem est.
    People will use what they think feels and sounds best to them,
    and that is a purely subjective assessment.
    The physics of it all really has very little bearing on what a given individual
    hears &/or feels.
    Each of us hopefully knows what they like, and in the end, that's
    all that really matters... to ourselves.
    There's my position.
    :)

4. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

It would be very easy to test this one for yourself. If indeed reduced tension is the key--tune down 2 or 3 or 4 half-steps and use a capo. If the guitar sounds "bigger" then the OP's claim is confirmed. At least for your own ears.

If you reduce tension far enough, you will get fret buzz. Which is cool if that's what you're going for. And at a certain point the strings will become much more difficult to control. If you tune down 12 half-steps and play with a capo on the 12th fret, "bigger" is not what you'll get.

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  5. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Strat-O-Master

You don’t have to play heavy to have a heavy sound. You can play light with a lot of gain or low end and have a heavy sound.

6. Thunderhopkins8

Yes, I know him quite well.

7. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

The reason most of us are making jokes vs posting scientific data to support or refute the OP is because this is a tired old subject that has been rehashed out on this and every other guitar forum on the web dozens or more times. String gauge is a matter of personal preference and tone of fat vs. thin can be overcome simply by turn a few knobs on your amp or guitar. I play 10’s on Fender scale and 11’s on Gibson because they feel best to me and the tension feels close when switching between scale length. I use 12’s on 000 or OM acoustics because they feel best to me for finger picking and 13’s on dreadnaught because they feel good and drive the larger top better.

My buddy uses 11’s on his Gibson and Fender guitars and everyone says his tone sounds thinner and brighter than mine. When I plug into his rig my tone is suddenly brighter and when he plugs into mine his tone is darker without turning any knobs, it’s clearly amp settings and not the strings.

Chont, rolandson, nutball73 and 2 others like this.
  8. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Nitro-mancer Strat-Talk Supporter

I think the comparison is made when tuned to the same pitch.

9. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

So, let's see the actual study, please. Otherwise, I'm afraid it's just subjective opinion on a subject that really has been beaten to death.

dogletnoir, Chont, rolandson and 2 others like this.
  10. Thunderhopkins8

Why did the blindfold test come back as everyone thinking 8’s or 11’s?

11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Senior Stratmaster

Of course this comes from the Quorum of the Twelve. Read the fine print at the bottom of the page.

circles likes this.
  12. Stratoskater

I can both hear and feel a difference between 10’s and 11’s on my ES 335. Last week I tried the new Ernie Ball 10-48 set on that guitar, I usually use 11-48, and my wife asked why the plain strings sounded so plinky and so much treble. Same thing Saturday with the new American Original 60’s Tele I bought. GC had put 9’s on it for some reason even though they ship with 10’s. Played it real quick when I got home with my amp set to where I had it for my 50’s Tele (string with 10’s) the day before. Put on 10’s and she said wow that sounds much fuller and warmer, no changes to amp settings. Now yes I could have adjusted the amp a EQ to compensate for the 9’s no problem if that was the gauge I liked but nothing will convince me that smaller strings sound brighter at the same EQ settings on the same guitar.

Thunderhopkins8 likes this.
  13. Thunderhopkins8

If you’ve never used 8’s, and compared them to 10’s or 11’s then how can you discuss it intelligently?

14. Thunderhopkins8

Iommi has a special 7 gauge set of strings made for him.

15. Thunderhopkins8

With a lighter string, you have to take some tension off the truss rod, or it will plink. My friend is a guitar technician, and has four Grammy winning guitarist as customers.

16. Stratoskater

If 10’s sound brighter to me than 11’s and 9’s sound brighter to me than 10’s obviously 8’s will sound even brighter to me. I don’t think anyone is saying that 8’s cannot be made to sound fat and warm, obviously they can but I don’t like the tension of less than 10 gauge so I have no reason to try them. As Simon said you need to post a link to this study you are citing or a video of it so we can decide for ourselves after hearing it.

Also you state that adding lots of gain or bass will make them sound heavier, this just proves what I said that of course you can use EQ to get a heavier sound but you missed the point of the post you were responding to. What that poster was saying is some folks (SRV famously) have a heavy attack and thin strings don’t respond well to a heavy strumming hand. His post was not about a heavy tone.

17. Stratoskater

Yes I know this, and did so, I’ve been setting up guitars for over 20 years. You have cited a study that you have yet to provide a link to and are getting quite condescending and defensive to those of use who are expressing our opinions that we prefer heavier gauge strings.

You brought up a tired old rehashed to death topic with no link to a video comparison or sound clips for us to listen to. I don’t care that your friend is a tech or who his customers are, I set up my own guitars to my own liking and have tried gauges from 9-12 and settled years ago on what I prefer. If you like 8’s great but don’t expect everyone to fall in line with your opinion especially without providing any link to video or sound clips.

dogletnoir and Paperback Rocker like this.
  18. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 The wizard next door..... Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, over the years, I've tried 8-36. As well as 13-56, And pretty much all the sizes in between. Which has all led me back to what I prefer: 12-56 with a wound 3rd. Sure, with gain adjusts and eq tweaks,I could get my sound with lighter strings, including 8s, but the playing feel just wasn't right for me.

dogletnoir and Stratoskater like this.
  19. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

We shouldn't let the "heavy vs light gauge strings" debate cloud the real issue facing guitarist.

Rosewood vs maple.

Oh, it's rosewood by the way.

20. bchaffin72

bchaffin72 The wizard next door..... Strat-Talk Supporter

No, it's maple...................syrup, that is:D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.