Join Strat-Talk Today

String gauge myth

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Thunderhopkins8, Apr 15, 2019.

1. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Even better. So compare string sets. Just as an example, Ernie Ball has these sizes (in Slinky Nickel) and some more, but I"m not listing everything they've got.

8 11 14 22 30 38
    9 11 16 24 32 42
    10 13 17 26 36 46
    11 14 18 28 38 48

So if you have a set of 11s, you can de-tune the e to a b (5 half steps) and compare it right next to your existing b string, both for sound and feel. If you have a set of 8s or 9s, the b string is an 11 and you can tune it up to an e to directly compare next to your existing e string.

2. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

I feel like I'm missing out here. I can't tell what gauge someone is playing and it worries me.

In fact even if I play different gauges I can't tell from the sound, only how bendy the strings are.

My hearing must be terrible. If I go to an audiologist, can anyone tell me what frequencies and db levels I should be sensitive to in order to discern a clear difference? Also, I need to be able to tell what gauge is being played, not just comparatively but absolutely (nobody ever plays the same tune back to back know with different gauge strings).

Help!

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  3. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

I went up to 11 to 49 strings after a partscaster that I bought came with that gauge. I don't think that changed the way the guitar sounds in any significant way.

It does change the way I "attack" the strings - so it changes the way my playing sounds, indirectly.

Stratoskater likes this.
  4. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

no way I'm reading every post in this thread.
    in my case, I used 11s for many years.
    then I switched to 10s for awhile. and then 9 hybrids.
    I have strong hands from manual labor jobs, and I tend to over bend on lighter strings and they feel squirrelly to me, so I went to 10-48s. I like those alot.
    as far as the sound.....it is my opinion that bigger strings give you a better tone if you're pretty much going through your amp with a few pedals. but if you've embraced technology, you can get any sound you want with any strings you choose. I like the way heavier strings feel. and I like to hit them hard.

5. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

What "test"?
    What "everyone" ?

It's been mentioned a couple of times, at least as many times as citation has been requested, but so far there hasn't been anything provided.

6. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

Agreed on the feel.
    The use, or not, of lots of pedals or processing is an interesting theory. I like to go straight into an amp, or possibly through one booster or OD.

heltershelton likes this.
  7. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Strat-Talker

Υou probably use an amplifier when you play...thats your mistake.This bloody thing is...amplifying the sound and ruins everything....get outside, snap a telephone pole wire,set it up on your guitar and play it ...acoustically...now can you hear the...fatness?

nutball73 likes this.
  8. Wrighty

Wrighty Senior Stratmaster

True, but it’s a ‘different’ heavy, more noticeable on an acoustic. One man’s heavy is another man’s loud! I’m talking in terms of playing heavy, not necessarily sounding heavy........

Stratoskater likes this.
  9. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talk Member

Objectively, it depends on your hand strength and grip control.

In terms of sound, I like lighter, better. 09-46 custom light is on most of my guitars.

My impression is that heavier strings produce more fundamental and less harmonics compared to lighter. The timbre of lighter strings is more complex, as the fundamental is realitively quiter. This can be good or bad depending on the chord voicings you use and how it mixes with the song and the band. This is also one reason among many why many jazz player like heavier flat wounds. They "create" their own harmonic richness playing jazz chords and voicings.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  10. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

I prefer some push back (if that makes sense) when I bend. 10s seem like rubber bands to me. 11s are nice but I settled on 10.5s for now. I find I over bend with lower gauge strings

Stratoskater likes this.
  11. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Strat-O-Master

My friend of mine seen the video, not me. He can’t remember who it was that did it. Just that it was some long dark haired British man.

12. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

For all the scientific basis that has, you may as well have posted a picture of an Easter egg. :D

Stratoskater and rolandson like this.
  13. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

14. rolandson

Well there it is! A definitive citation to say the least.

I'm satisfied. You satisfied @simoncroft ?

The subject has been finally resolved and we can now put it to rest ...
    once. and. for. all.

Please.

Stratoskater and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  15. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Objection! Hearsay. And furthermore, the best evidence rule requires at least a link to the original.

Stratoskater and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  16. rolandson

We got all that...
    'some long dark haired British man.'

We don't need no stinking ... links.
    [​IMG]

17. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Senior Stratmaster

Pau Ferrero Rocher

[​IMG]

Stratoskater and rocknrollrich like this.
  18. perttime

perttime Strat-O-Master

Reminds me of a magazine article on recording. Guitarist magazine, I recall. A player had recorded a part and was listening to it. He wondered:"Why doesn't it sound aggressive?". Response: "A 4 year old kid banging on a ukulele would sound more aggressive".

If you want to sound "aggressive", you have to play "aggressive".

19. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm 100% satisfied with the D'Addario Nickel Wound 10-46 sets I've been using for the last 20+ years. I totally respect anyone who chooses anything different.

It's as well to remember that everything about a musical instrument is a) a design compromise between a number on interrelated performance parameters, and b) highly subjective.

Obviously, if the record labels printed the string gauges used by their artists on each commercial release, it would help us greatly in selecting the music we are most likely to enjoy. That's simply scientific fact.

Stratoskater and rgbedard like this.
  20. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

Was it maybe the Andertons videos?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.