Strings

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Janning, May 31, 2020.

1. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talker

I have been using Gibson Vintage Reissues on all my electrics for years. Won't buy anything else. Love them. If it ain't broke.....:)

Bladesg likes this.
  2. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Strat-O-Master

Me neither, that's ridiculous. I use either Fender or Rotosound, 10-46 - both cost £5.99 and both last 3 or 4 months, depending on how much I play the guitar. I see no reason to use anything else.

3. joebloggs

joebloggs Strat-Talker

I don't know what the coating is, but they say it makes the strings last longer. I never tried their electric guitar strings, but I did try their acoustic brand, and I didn't like the feel. Also, after a couple of weeks, the coating started coming off from strumming/picking( I play my acoustics with a thick wood pick). I bought one pack of Elixirs....I have been told that they improved their coating, but I won't ever buy a set again.

4. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Me too, but I'm going to try Pyramids 008-038s from Thomann on @Cerb's recommendation next time I order.

Stratwrangler and Cerb like this.
  5. CyFan4036

CyFan4036 Strat-O-Master

6. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I had a set of NYXL on my guitar for about 30 minutes before I cut them off. The others you've mentioned I have no experience with

Personally I like Ernie Ball Siper Slinky

7. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-Talker

If you spend more than about 5 minutes a month thinking about strings (while you're buying them) you're probably either a virtuoso player who gigs 250x a year, or someone who should be spending more time actually learning to PLAY better.
    Seriously...enough with the strings.
    Take out your guitar and practice, for crying out loud

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Stratoskater likes this.
  8. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talk Member

I'll second this.

I've never used any of the strings the OP mentions. I HAVE used D'Addario EXL110 10-46 on my Epiphones (when I still had them), and I liked them with humbuckers. But I have always used Fender Pure Nickle 10's and 11's on all my single coil and HSS guitars; and don't consider using anything else.
    Someone said "if it ain't broke don't fix it"---I agree.

9. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

When I played EB strings I thought my hands were producing acid too. Those suckers don't last long. At all. I'm not sure they made it two weeks. Some other brands last a year or so. You might try some other brands, maybe there's something else out there that your fingers won't eat.

Jesse414 likes this.
  10. Thrup'ny Bit

When I tried EBs they went black even before they stopped stretching (when they snapped).

Jesse414, Murphcaster and dirocyn like this.
  11. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster

I’m telling you, DR True Blues pure nickel strings. 6$

Jesse414 likes this.
  12. Thrup'ny Bit

13. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Me either, unless it's for bass. My favorite bass strings are Dean markley blue steel, the normal price is about $45. I usually wait for a sale.

14. Thrup'ny Bit

The DRs cost about £40, but they last a lot longer than guitar strings.

dirocyn likes this.
  15. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Strat-O-Master

I play NYXL 9s and I really like them. Haven't tried the others.

16. Biddlin

Biddlin Senior Stratmaster

Key Riced! I thought I was cheap. NYXLs last a lot longer than EBs and are much clearer and brighter than elixers. imho.
    I'm currently using NYXLs and Rev Willy's.

17. StratMike10

StratMike10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I use elixirs exclusively for no other reason than I hate changing strings and they last me a lot more than uncoated strings, long enough that it actually makes it cheaper.
    The tone might not be as crisp (so they say, to me it sounds exactly the same), but I love the slip-n-slide feel that doesn't go away... regular strings feel like they need to be sprayed with wd40.

Also, I gab my guitar, play it, and then put it down, I have no before-and-after cleanliness ritual. No inclination to wipe and clean strings or anything else on my guitars, or wash my hands beforehand. Some people do it and that's cool, but I have a guitar at hand everywhere in my house and my work, and may play 10 or more times a day even if for a couple minutes, so I'm not doing it. Rust and grime on my strings is something I have not dealt with since the 90's, not thanks to my guitar hygiene but to elixir strings.

18. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Man Thing Strat-Talk Supporter

I have been a GHS Boomers guy for about 30 years...when I started on bass and was playing Bass Boomers. When I started on guitar I started with D'Addario and then ended up ultimately going back to the GHS. I played the Boomers because I could get them in .008-.038's. Then about 12 years ago I moved to /009-/042's. 3 or 4 years ago I switched to the Boomers GBCL 0.009-0.046 set and think I have found the winner here. They give just the right amount of resistance when I bend and don't get all floppy or fret out with my setups. I can get a good long time out of them, though I couldn't tell you how long because I don't record how many hours I play on them, but they only get changed a couple times a year. Also, I can buy 6 sets for the price of one of those gold sets.

Jesse414 likes this.
  19. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

I just ordered a 5 pack of these from Musicians Friend. I have used them before, and they were decent, and cost $2.29 a set. About 40% less than D'Addario, Ernie Ball, etc.

iu.jpeg

Jesse414, Cerb and Believer7713 like this.
  20. Murphcaster

Murphcaster Strat-O-Master

I couldn't help but laugh at this. I've almost always played Daddario EXL110s but just recently bought a pack of E.B. regular slinky 10s to put on my Les Paul this past weekend. The high E string broke just as I was stretching it. I can't recall having any other string (Fender,GHS, Daddario) do that.

Jesse414 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.