Strings

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Janning, Oct 4, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Janning

Janning Strat-Talker

I know this a vague question, But a general high level answer is good with me.
    Of these 2 string sets, what would you rank them, ie 1st , 2nd, 3rd choice and why?
    ie maybe some of their attributes. These will be going on an EVH Wolfgang special
    I just got, when its delivered on Wednesday.

http://www.aanning.com/aj_guitar/STRINGS_Top_3/TOP_3.jpg

Attached Files:

JJ119, bojanbeo and Jerseystratfiend like this.
  2. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

I've used D'Addario since the 80s. They work, so I don't bother with anything else.

Mr_10awg, Old Guy, jobo and 11 others like this.
  3. RoyC

RoyC Senior Stratmaster

I always use the first ones. Daddario XL because I like them.

Mr_10awg and jobo like this.
  4. Janning

Janning Strat-Talker

As many as I've tried, I go back to the D'addario EXL 120. I like an ease of press, I've heard it call "buttery", type feel. What about within D'Addario, the NYXL? I have those on hand. Any experiences wit these?
    The EVH comes with EVH brand strings gauged (high to low) .009, .011, .016, .026, .036 and .046, and seem to have very good reviews. 4.7 / 5 with over 60+ reviews.

BlurgyWurgyWibble likes this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist

The D'Addarios. I have used the Elixir nanowebs a lot and they have a really nice, slick feel to them that I love, almost like flat wounds, but they sound old right from the beginning in my experience.

I have tried the NYXL's too and they are overpriced and overmarketed IMO. To me they sound no better than the $4 sets of Pyramid strings that I usually use.

6. Janning

Janning Strat-Talker

So I'm not clear on your final answer? "The D'Addarios" are you saying ??? And the Elixir...sound old? what does that mean?
    I'm wondering if I should just leave on The EVH brans strings that come on it.

7. Cerb

I guess my answer is: Try them all and decide for yourself.

I would choose the D'Addarios because they are the best sounding strings for the least amount of money based on the options you presented.

The Elixirs sound like an old set of strings even when brand new. They then keep sounding old forever and ever until they eventually break.

Rudedawg, soulman969 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. Janning

Janning Strat-Talker

I had two different d'addarios posted I assume you meant, the EXL-120, Is there a such thing as EXL-120 flat wound? (bear w me,,,,,obviouly I'm very new in all this, and thanks)

Cerb likes this.
  9. Cerb

Yes, the EXL-120's.

The closest you will get with flats are the D'Addario ECG23's, .010-.048

10. Janning

Janning Strat-Talker

The lowest is .010? Does this mean a flat (or ECG23 at .010 ) is as light as a round wound .090?.....somewhat?

11. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon

A round wound 10 doesn't feel like a round wound 9. Flat wound 10s feel harder than both.

Cerb and Stonetone like this.
  12. Janning

Janning Strat-Talker

sounds like I should stay away from flat, I'm a beginer only 5 months in, and I currently use .090 - 042 range for the softer (buttery) feel, and if flats are harder thats going away from what I'm looking for.

Cerb likes this.
  13. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Same here but with Ernie Ball since the 90’s.

With strings you find what you like and then go with them. There’s no magical or better set other than to say what works better for you the player.

14. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Comparing the D'Addario strings to Elixirs is a bit apples to bananas.

Elixirs are a coated string most either love or dislike. I'm in the latter camp.

NYXLs are simply a higher cost string which D'Addario claims should last longer before replacement. Having tried a set I didn't find that to be true for me but perhaps it would be for someone who plays the same guitar daily.

I've used XLs for years and for me they work fine. If I want something like Pure Nickels as opposed to Nickel Wound I play Curt Magnan's strings because he offers the Pure Nickel half size .095-.044 sets I play.

15. orion252

orion252 Strat-Talk Member

I prefer the XL's as well. I recently tried the NYXL's on three different guitars and didn't like them as much. That being said I have not tried the Elixers but geneally am not a fan of coated strings. The regular XL's for me have always been consistent in terms of feel and string life. While I have tried a few other string manufacturers I end up back with those on my guitars.

jobo likes this.
  16. Janning

Janning Strat-Talker

Thanks everyone for all this input. sounds like the consensus are same as my first choice.....D'addario XL-120 9 - 42. I'm going to let the Elixir and NYXL gather dust....however, after all this and a bit of reading...I ordered these 3 below. The EVH comes with its own EVH strings, and I've tried those on the EVH...not bad at all.
    meanwhile on my Fender (that currently have XL-120 on it), I'm going to try these out. I suspect I already know....the green will be too thin, the orange will be flat and rigid....and the purple??? it has a chance of being my new goto. It seems like the purple EHR320...could be like a cross between the XL-120 and the orange ECG23
    (the asnwer to your next comment...its "yes" I admit it....when you say "this guy has more money than he does sense/playing talent" LOL. Keeping in mind its 10 bucks a try, what really sucked was doing this on the exhaust systems on my Muscle car...its a wee bit more than 10 bucks.

upload_2020-10-4_7-18-21.png

17. jtoomuch

jtoomuch Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I use nines, D'Addario NYXL, and I am very happy with them.

18. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

The gauge is more important to me, than the brand. I don’t like coated strings, either.

but the 5 dollar Ernie ball strings, or the two dollar Musicians gear strings have worked perfectly for me, through hundreds of gigs.

any of your potential options would be great.

Rudedawg, Nadnitram and Stratafied like this.
  19. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I've tried Elixers and didn't see any reason to buy them again. The coating felt awful

NYXL got cut off 30 minutes after I put them on. Way too stiff and felt two gauges thicker

After the NYXL experience D'Addario of any sort will never touch my fretboards again

20. Stonetone

Stonetone Most Honored Senior Member

Again that's PErsonal Taste ,, I Really Like NYXL .10 for My Setup Sound great Last Long and Bend just the way I like So always comes down to preference :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    jobo and duzie like this.