Strings

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Darrenb, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Darrenb

Darrenb New Member!

Hi all, fairly new to this and playing guitar, been bought a player hsh strat for my birthday along with a Marshall 30w amp and a boss gt 1 effects pedal, just wondering what the stock strings are and what gauge , brand are best suited for the strat, many thanks

ProSonicLive likes this.
  2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Most Strats come with 9’s. Ernie Ball, D’addario and GHS are all fine brands and readily available. By a set of each and try them to see which you prefer.

Darrenb and FrieAsABird like this.
  3. Fenderbaum

Fenderbaum Strat-O-Master

Find the strings that suit YOU.. not your guitar.. well ok a little.

Darrenb likes this.
  4. Caddy

Caddy Strat-O-Master

The strings that came on it would be Fender Nickel Plated 9's. I am partial to Fender strings on my Fender guitars. I do prefer the Pure Nickel strings rather than nickel plated. Any major brand would be fine, D'Adarrio, Ernie Ball, GHS. I do also prefer 10's or 11's.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Darrenb likes this.
  5. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Senior Stratmaster

These are the types of answers that help no one. He’s looking for advice. JFC!!!

Darrenb likes this.
  6. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Use what's on it for now
    Eventually you'll figure out what you're looking for.
    I've been from 9's to 11's & settled in in 10-52

Darrenb likes this.
  7. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

The stock strings are probably Fender Super Bullet 9s.

People have an almost religious fervor about string choices--it's your guitar, your choice. There will be a whole wall of strings in any decent guitar store, with electric guitar string sizes ranging from .007 to .013 and a variety of wrap styles and materials.

Almost everyone plays roundwound strings. To the point where some folks forget that flatwound and groundwound/half-wound even exist. Flatwounds are more expensive and sound darker, but they make less noise when you slide your left hand.

The wrap material (on the 3-4 biggest strings) makes a difference too. On electric guitar, the options are nickel plated steel, nickel, stainless steel, monel (or mona) steel--and flatwound strings are also available in chrome. All of them sound a little different. Nickel plated steel is often sold as "nickel," and would be a good middle of the road choice.

String size makes differences, too. Lighter strings are easier to bend and easier to break and produce a marginally brighter sound, larger strings are harder to bend and break and make a marginally darker sound. Making big changes in string gauge will require some adjustment to the guitar--adjustments to the number of springs on the trem and the adjustment there, adjustment to the truss rod, adjustment to the nut slots, and adjustment to the intonation. 9s-10s are probably the most popular for Strat type guitars, and your guitar probably won't need much (if any) adjustment if you use these sizes.

Darrenb likes this.
  8. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

I used to use D'addario 9s

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DAddario-E...d=1611773015&sprefix=d'addario,aps,253&sr=8-1

but on a tight budget Rotosound have always been decent and you get a free Strap with this pack :D

£13.75 for 3 packs.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rotosoun...304883&hash=item548460e59d:g:6k8AAOSw5v9eJtBc

HTH :)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
    Darrenb likes this.
  9. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Dunlop makes a good string as well, and you can get them at silly low prices.
    Most nickel-plated roundwounds are going to be pretty similar sounding and feeling if you are just starting out - anything pure nickel will usually sound warmer.

Darrenb likes this.
  10. Darrenb

Darrenb New Member!

Thanks very much all for the advice, have ordered some 10s and 11s of different brands suggested, Ernie ball , fender and ghs , will give them all a go and see what I prefer the sound of
    Thanks again everyone much appreciated , stay safe

Bob the builder likes this.
  11. dirocyn

dirocyn Most Honored Senior Member

If your guitar was set up with 9s, going up to 11s will require some adjustment. You'll probably want 4 springs in the back, with 11s.

Darrenb likes this.
  12. Bob Spumoni

Bob Spumoni Senior Stratmaster

I'd go with 9's at first: easier to bend, and kind of the baseline gauge for a Strat. If your callouses aren't quite in order yet, you might even go w/ 8's. These thinner strings are easier to bend as well. You want round-wounds (again, easier to bend and they just sound better on a Strat than flatwounds, which are';t really available skinny anyway).

Enjoy.

Darrenb likes this.
  13. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

Ernie Ball 9’s are a good choice imho.

Darrenb likes this.
  14. Chmason85

Chmason85 Strat-Talker

I usually go with Daddario, but I decided to get a custom set from string joy that I’m waiting on; 12-56 with a wound G.

Darrenb likes this.
  15. HazyPurple

HazyPurple Without stress... my life would be empty Silver Member

D'addario nickel wound 9-42's are a good start.

You should be able to get them for around the five quid mark. 3 set packs should be under 15 quid.

Darrenb likes this.
  16. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

Hi!
    Since you stated your fairly new to playing, I would not suggest bumping up to 11s. that will just make it that much harder to play. Most strats come with 9 to 42.
    After trying many types over many years, I like D R pure blues, on my strat, but hate them on them on my Les Paul. To me they retain that "stratty" sound for a long time which is good as I hate changing strings. Other good choices are Ernie Ball Super Slinky, and of course Fender.
    By the way it is essential that you post pictures of your guitar(and pets) on this forum:)

Hal Nico and Darrenb like this.
  17. Darrenb

Darrenb New Member!

18. Darrenb

Darrenb New Member!

This is the strat the wife got me, just ordered a set of primo slinky which are 9.5 -46, thanks again all, I’ll post what strings I go with once tried them

Bob the builder likes this.
  19. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Sweatin' Bullets

Darrenb likes this.
  20. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

nice looking guitar!

Darrenb likes this.