Strip it down.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
I am still working up songs that I can do solo guitar and sing, it's going slowly because I have other ish to do but this idea comes up pretty often and it's been beating me over the head of late: Really good songs, even the ones that are associated with some amazing production and performances by artists, still sound fantastic just playing guitar and singing.

That is all.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
What kinda tunes are you working on, Dado?

Maybe you’ll be the American Gerry Cinnoman.
I'm kinda all over the map and have several things going at one time but after the last open mic that I spectated and enjoyed, I found it funny that I'm pretty old, but still, most of the music played at the open mic was a lot older. So in addition to other stuff I have considered working up and have added to the app on my tablet, I am thinking of playing, as described, stripped down versions of a couple off of Temple of the Dog, and some Bowie, possibly some Queen.....and even a song from 90s alt rock done by a female singer.

Several of these just messing around with them, kick some ass.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
I think the trick to making it sound good is playing a rhythm and lead combo. Throwing in those little fills and chord fiddling. If you just play the chords straight up then your singing has to be up a notch.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
I think the trick to making it sound good is playing a rhythm and lead combo. Throwing in those little fills and chord fiddling. If you just play the chords straight up then your singing has to be up a notch.
I agree totally. I am a full time hybrid picker and on acoustic guitar, I can manage to fake a lot of stuff. I don't worry about it being accurate, just make sure that there is a solid rhythmic bass and for sure need some fills and such. The few times I have done any of that in front of people it has been well received.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
I agree totally. I am a full time hybrid picker and on acoustic guitar, I can manage to fake a lot of stuff. I don't worry about it being accurate, just make sure that there is a solid rhythmic bass and for sure need some fills and such. The few times I have done any of that in front of people it has been well received.

Yep. You're taking on the role of the whole band. So you might have some of the bass line in there, percussion, the rhythm guitar, and some lead. It's not what you'd play if you were actually playing with the band - people would yell at you for walking on them.