striping a poly body

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by candyapple67, Jan 4, 2011.

1. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

Dont try and convince me the pickups have anything to do with it, that would be insane.

2. Vintage59

Vintage59 Senior Stratmaster

No way man. My sound is like 80-90% all about the special picks I have custom-made from melted down "Bat-a-rangs" that were salvaged from the original Batman 60's TV series. ;)

Sorry Lua1, melted Bat-a-rangs are cooler than Tonium.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2011
  3. Lua1

Lua1 PolyMayerMaple

isnt that what john mayer paints his nails with?

4. louis cyfer

louis cyfer i know nothing

oz, it seems like there is a language barrier here. maybe things mean something else in australian, but you are misunderstanding what ron is saying. consistently. for example you keep missing the line on his site "all have been claimed to have a significant influence on the TONE", it doesn't say he claims that.

5. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

exactamundo

6. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

No language barrier at all its just that to some people 90% of the time they are right and the rest of the time you are wrong.

I am not even going to weigh into this argument but i know which team i bat for, thats the no mojo/voodoo team.

7. oz strat

oz strat Strat-O-Master

Thanks...but did you read the next paragraph ?

"Note to you scientists. I am talking generalities, I know there are exceptions, but generally speaking, this is “real life”."

And also the reply that was made trying to re-clarify this.

I think that has been smashed enough,in my very humble opinion....ang going back through the original thread....stripping the body to make way for the use of Nitro is an advantage over poly.Full stop.Like it or leave it.

Thats my stance,clear and simple.

Thanks to all for the replies.No malice taken.

This is the internet were peoples opinions collide.

Like my old Rugby League coach said to me "If you cant take the knocks dont play the sport".

All opinions from all replies are taken into consideration,with a grain of salt!

Have a great weekend.

8. Rufuskyote

Rufuskyote Strat-Talker

For the record, neither the OP nor the next 27 posts said ANYTHING about using nitro for superior sound characteristics. It wasn't until the 28th post, quoted above, that Ron Kirn himself interjected (or assumed is more accurate) the OP's reason for using nitro was because of superior sound.

Whenever nitro is discussed, some folks (see above) just can't get past the idea that NOT EVERYONE who desires nitro does so for sonic reasons, so they make (incorrect) assumptions of intent....mostly to ridicule and make themselves look smarter.

The "broken record" has gotten real old real fast...

9. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

with all due respect, you didn't read the thread carefully if you missed when Ron himself said he does not like poly and much prefers nitro.

10. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

Poly or Nitro ?

YouTube - David Gilmour - Raise My Rent

Back in the day we didnt care if it was made of dog shyte as long as we could get sound out of it same applies today.

Get a solid body electric play it acoustically away from your body then against your body, against your body mass you will hear it mute. Now plug the mother in and do the same you will hear 0 change now think about it.

Finish is a load of cobblers other than what aesthetically pleases the individual.

11. Rufuskyote

Rufuskyote Strat-Talker

With all due respect, I have read every post in this thread very carefully.

Does Ron enjoy debating himself?

It makes absolutely no sense why he literally mocks someone who would choose to use nitro for whatever reason, yet then states he prefers it and finishes his guitars with it ?!?!?!?!?

To quote Groucho Marx "You've got a point there... and I think its on top of your head." :)

12. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

Shut up and play your guitar, wish i knew what pickups he was using for this clip, would put them in the spare poly body i have laying around here.

YouTube - David Gilmour Marooned

13. louis cyfer

, language barrier again. i can't see how your answers answer what you are trying to answer. something is lost somewhere. you kept going on about how could ron say there is no advantage of nitro over poly when he already explained he hates poly and uses nitro.

14. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

lord God those are some gorgeous tones coming from that guitar....

15. louis cyfer

no. ron first asked why would someone want to do this. then he explained that the poly makes a good sealer, so unless you want to finish it natural, there is no reason taking it off. later on he remarked that why else do people want to take ALL the poly off. and he has a point. why else?

16. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

If someone believes nitro is superior and wants to pay extra well then be my guest, i have a few nitro bodies here and they can make me an offer.

17. louis cyfer

i like nitro better. i like the feel, the way it ages and wears. i just don't think it matters to the sound enough to care. i mean there are so many other factors that are more important to the tone to worry about. but i do like nitro for other reasons. i prefer tru oil even more.

18. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

I’m sorry, I was just gonna leave it alone, but this guy keeps “opening his mouth, and his brains fall out”

Making a definitive statement like the above is just plain insane…it completely disregards ALL the myriad of other factors comprising a guitar that produce the guitar’s voice. There ARE a few ya know….

Further, for the sake of discussion, lets say Nitro DOES “improve the t*** ya know… I can’t even make that statement hypothetically….

The paint on your guitar is no more significant than the socks on your feet… they’re both just a fashion statement… But if you have no feet, or have no talent… then ya gotta problem…

Such is correct, however, as I have ‘splaned…. I will often see an inference that sparks a thought and share it…. You may do with it as you will.

I also mentioned that invariably, when talking with guys that want to strip Poly, they will often give a litany of reasons, dancing around the real reason. Quiz ‘em long enough and the “tone quest” rises to the top.

Trends in the tone quest change… who’s to say if Nitro will fall from Grace and some new as yet un-concocted goop will replace it., remember those 2 pound brass bridges of the 80’s.. Or those brass weights we would screw to the back of our headstocks… Oh wait… someone that’s 38 would have been what, 8 or thereabouts… probably not paying attention to the physics of guitars at the time… I however, would have been using nitrocellulose lacquer for about 15 years at the time… those that think that sounds like a cocky arrogant SOB… sorry man, knowing what you’re talking about and doing so authoritatively can leave that impression…

I really don’t care what anyone does to their guitar in the quest for utopia…but the thoughts I share are the product of discussions with those in the industry that do actually know, and are discerning enough to separate internet hype from empirical fact. If you wanna give it consideration, fine, if you wanna throw typed “mud” at me … fine too, but… I have many personality quirks… and being quiet ain’t on the list.

It just bugs me to see someone going to all the trouble seen in the early posts in this thread for an implied reason that is based on unsubstantiated mythology. That’s it.

I would hope anyone else that is well schooled in any of the facets of guitars would also step top the “plate” and take a few swings at any misconceptions that are propagated by those that would parrot the myths that make the Marketing department copy writers get all excited.

When I would enjoy long conversations, very long, with Bill Lawrence, he often expressed his concern over the same kind of Hype relative to pickups, and always ask, How can those of us that know, educate those that want to know. And wanting to know is the key, if you do not want to know, guess what, you aren’t gonna.

The world of guitars is as replete with marketing hype as a 30 minute Infomercial selling “snake oil”. However there are those that follow such hype and embrace it as though a metaphysical deity had materialized, preformed a few miracles and said, “Yo, dood, you gotta strip that poly, otherwise you gonna sound like shi*.” They immediately fall to their knees, crawl off to the Home Depot and pick up a gallon of Stripeeze paint remover, and begin worshiping at the alter of fumes watching it dissolve the cheep rubber gloves they’re wearing but not even phase the poly on their guitar, thinking, “What in hell have I done?”

Ron Kirn

19. Rufuskyote

Rufuskyote Strat-Talker

Insulting people with condescending remarks about someone's age or "opening their mouth and their brains fall out" does nothing to further a discussion, it only makes you look small.

You don't care what anyone does to their guitar... but then you do.

As far as snake oil, - as pointed out earlier, you have done YOUR share of perpetuating these myths by what's published on your own website. So I guess that either: 1) at one time you believed all those factors influenced tone OR 2) you are not above perpetuating those myths, which you so altruistically seek to dispel, for the sake of selling guitars. :oops:

Your website needing an update notwithstanding, let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

20. peskypesky

peskypesky -------

louis, we may not always agree, but on this we're completely sympatico. i too prefer the feel of nitro and the way it wears. i wish all my guitars were finished in nitro, rather than poly, for those reasons.

but after learning how electric guitars make sound, i do not believe that any slight difference in resonance between nitro and poly bodies is actually audible once you're playing through an amp.

if someone presents scientific evidence to the contrary, i will change my belief. i am a rational man who believes in the power of science. show me that nitro guitars sound better, and i will agree. but don't just keep repeating the mantra without any rational justification or scientific proof.