Stripped lug nut ....

Sixstringer107

Senior Stratmaster
All the car companies are using those these days and if you search youtube there’s tons of videos on these swollen nuts.

The nuts are hard steel with a pressed on outer stainless cover and they rust between the metals and swell up.

Most lug nuts are either 3/4 (19mm) or 13/16 and most of these swollen lugs will come off with that next bigger size socket but, there is that one last tighter one that the corners just round off and people need to use the right size before it only gets worse.

Brute force.
I just use the extreme force method in the video I posted. Those nuts need to be replaced anyway.

I don’t know why anyone would put the same nuts back on?

Actually, I do know, it’s because they were lucky that they came off in the first place without stripping and they don't understand what is going on.

If you take off the nuts and every one of them was stuck even slightly in you socket, they are swollen.

Some day you will get a flat on the road and wonder why your tire iron won’t fit on your nut.
Yeah I had no idea until it happened to me. Luckily it was at the tire shop and not out on the road with a flat.

72 Sunburst

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 23, 2011
Boston
So I wanted to put front brake pads on my truck . One of the lugs was stripped , tried beating a smaller socket on it , no joy ... bought a lug extractor from auto zone , that split in two ... finally had to drill and cold chisel it ... 6 hrs later it finally came off , what a fiasco ... My wife said why don’t you take it somewhere , i told her I can’t let a lug nut defeat me ... I was too tired to pull the the caliper , bracket and rotor to replace the stud . Tomorrow is another day ......
Sometimes where more "nut" than "lug"