1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Strumming Advice

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by stratomatt, Feb 19, 2020.

1. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

Trying to play "pulled up" by the Taking Heads. The fill part with the fast strumming has 3 parts with 4 fast strums each followed by 2 more quick strums. I can play it slow, but can't pull it off at full speed.

So, any advice to play faster? Loose wrist? Hold wrist stiff and move the elbow? I've never been a super fast Strummer, but I love that riff.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

I never thought about it before, but I just tried it, and it seems that when I play a speedy part, like John‘s part in “All My Loving,” I’m using both my wrist and my elbow. Which I can’t do if I start thinking about it.

stratomatt and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

Every riff I’ve ever learned I usually couldn’t play at full speed until I played the **** out of it.

bbarott, stratomatt and 3bolt79 like this.
  4. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Practice, practice, practice...

stratomatt and 3bolt79 like this.
  5. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member

Metronome. Then gradually increase the speed.

stratomatt likes this.
  6. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I rotate my forearm like opening a door knob with a loose wrist.

I cant strum from just the wrist or from the elbow.

stratomatt and Andrew Wasson like this.
  7. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

Thanks. Been practicing a bit more tonight. I think what's tough for me is this riff is on just 3 strings. If I play all 6, like a barre chord or open chord I can go faster because it's less precise. Trying different pick angles, etc.

8. Jason D

Jason D Senior Stratmaster

The way I play is part wrist and part elbow. It really depends on what I’m playing though. The number of correct answers to this is equal to the number of guitar player on the planet. As others have said, practice practice practice. Practice some more. It will kind of all just fall into place as far as what’s comfortable for you.

9. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Seriously though, there's no substitute for it.

When I was in my 'intensive learning period' back in early '90s, I used to play the guitar every day for as long as I possibly could so much so that it became almost like an addiction.

It helped that I could already sing because I had a goal, and that was to be able to accompany myself on the guitar. The next goal was to join a band so that I could get out and gig.

Having goals, big or little, help as they provide the motivation to better yourself.