Join Strat-Talk Today

Stupid idea but I like stupid ideas. Modular + Strat

Discussion in 'DIY Strat Forum' started by Geddon, Oct 2, 2019.

1. Geddon

Geddon Strat-Talk Member

Alright I’ve gotten interested in wiring guitars lately and modular synthesis and I thought of a stupid idea. Wire up a strat with inputs and outputs for the pickups to a patchbay on the guitar. Also have a passive mixer on there. So you could connect any combination of pickups in parallel or in series. For example say I want neck and bridge in series, I can connect neck out to bridge input then bridge out to the output. I know this stuff can be done with switching but I still like this stupid idea of a patchbay on a guitar. Would it work?

2. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

Idea is hilarious, but this would be a nightmare on stage hahah.

3. esseff

esseff Strat-O-Master

You inevitably find 3-4 sounds you like n the rest are never used.

Just wire up the ones you like n save the complications.

But fun anyway...

circles likes this.
  4. Geddon

Geddon Strat-Talk Member

The whole point is fun and yeah wouldn’t use this on stage. I’m actually surprised no one else has done it yet, or at least that I can’t find an example.

5. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

I built something similar, allows swapping any manner of setups without detuning. Then collected many similar ideas in a thread.
    https://www.tdpri.com/threads/rule-the-tones-many-guitars-in-one.630170/
    Post over there when you get your system running.

Today I play A Tele Esquire-H with sparate bobbins run by a 4-way switch, a Strat SSS with an Armstrong Blender and reverse Hendrix angle bridge pickup, and a LP with coil splits.

Stop over to the guitarnuts2 forum and look for their wiring threads, a couple of Strat mods with 400+ switching options... I have found simple is better, after all the experiments.

6. Geddon

Geddon Strat-Talk Member

Thanks for the resources. The more I think about this the more I like how silly the idea is so I’m likely going forward with it. I just need to find a guitar victim to start the procedure on.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.