Join Strat-Talk Today

Stupid loud amps, 40 watts and up...who owns them and why?!?!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The-Kid, Dec 1, 2019.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

plan on getting a 60 watt SuperSonic soon and although I dont plan on playing it loud I do really want it for the clean headroom and for playing in house and at open mic occasionally.

Im not getting it so much for the volume as for the clean hearoom.

Any other guys who like big amps and use them for the clean headroom for in home use and jams as opposed to the volume?

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  2. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Like owning a gun.
    Better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it.

And before everyone says how you should just mic the amp and run it through the PA.....
    That's not always an option. I have played through many sound systems that were - "vocals only"

Or many shows without a sound engineer.

Is a 40 watt (or more) amp always the best Choice?
    No. Of course not. But again, I'd rather have it and not need it.

RoyC, Nate D, Silvercrow and 23 others like this.
  3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

I own an old Peavey 212 Classic, with a SS preamp and a couple 6L6s for the power amp. I own it because I was about 19 when I wanted an amp, and in my circle of friends anything less than 50 watts was not enough.

It didn't take long for me to to make an attenuator for it. It has a master volume, but the SS preamp distortion of that amp is not pleasant.

3bolt79 and abnormaltoy like this.
  4. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

I used to have a 20 watt Rivera. Then I started to jam with a dude with a 40 watt amp, and I couldn't hear myself, and to be fair it did not have enough clean headroom.. So I bought my Mark 3 Boogie. Eventually sold the Rivera. Dude with 40 watt amp would not turn volume down. Showed his a$$.

5. mikej89

mikej89 Senior Stratmaster

If this were the 80's - 1991 the answer would be to get tail lol.

6. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-Talker

Loud is relative but even a 20 watt amp is loud in a small venue (read local bar). That said I prefer pre amp distortion and having headroom in the power section so even playing dirty a 60-100 watt amp would be fine- if I felt like lugging it around. Last band I was in was 3 piece classic rock and the longer we gigged the smaller my rig got. We were never mic'd. Carvin 50 watt V3M lunchbox head, 1 x12 cab and pedalboard. My amp master rarely got above 3-4.
    Anyhow I could gig with any size amp- Im not trying to cook the power section.

Bighump and abnormaltoy like this.
  7. Jwalker99

Jwalker99 Strat-Talk Member

Uh just get yourself an OX fron Universal Audio. And play as loud as you want without hurting your ears, or bothering The neighbors.

https://www.uaudio.com/hardware/ox.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-O-Master

pa100&cab.jpg

It's 100 watts of pure tube goodness. Got it thru my local CL. The price was too good to pass up. It stays at home though - too heavy to move around, but there if I need it. Right now, it's in the shop for repair.

9. gentlyweeping

gentlyweeping Strat-Talker

Clean headroom.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  10. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a Marshall DSL 40 - just an awesome amp that packs a punch. It can do soo much with 4 channels and the cleans are VERY nice in a warm British kind of a way. Marshall made lots of improvements to this line of amps in 2018 and they hit a homerun.

I got the 40 bc it added a 2nd Master Volume and the tone is bigger bc of the larger cab and power. I can switch it to 20w easily

I got it so I can hang with drums and other guitars for jams and for playing out. It’s all the amp you need.

11. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

I also have a PRRI Wine Red with 12”. I can tell you that little b*****d can crank - it’s LOUD!! I did put in a high efficiency speaker (an Eminence) so that helps it. It can hang with a drummer in a small venue

12. DJGranite

DJGranite Strat-O-Master

I play with a loud drummer...
    my 40 watt HRD had enough volume but I didn't really like the sound so I picked up a 22 watt Mesa, sounds great but I got buried in the mix, So I picked up a 100/50 watt Mesa.
    No more problems and I don't have to go above 5.(50 watt setting)
    So for me, I felt like I needed it and it works.

13. Kerry Brown

Kerry Brown Strat-O-Master

It depends on the amp. I have two main amps for playing out. A Fender Pro Junior, 15 watts, 10” speaker and a Traynor YCV80Q, 80 watts, 4x10” speakers. The Pro Junior doesn’t get a lot of use at home. It just doesn't sound right until it is way too loud at home. The Traynor on the the other hand doesn’t get a lot of live use. It is way too heavy, so unless I really need that power it stays at home. It does however get quite a bit of home use. With the master volume and the 4x10’s it has spectacular cleans and a decent crunch at low volumes.

14. Rydock

Rydock Strat-Talk Member

I have a Fender Bassbreaker 45 2x12 combo. Clean headroom is important to me as I run with a pedalboard. The amp has a very good power scaling control to take it down to 1w all the way to 45w. At 1w, it’s a lot more usable for home playing, but is still very loud even at that setting.

3bolt79, The-Kid and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. DeMelo

DeMelo Strat-O-Master

The main problem a guitarist faces with a big amp is that you won't get a creamy, rich overdriven tone from them unless you use enough volume, which can be pretty hard to do at home or in small venues without getting kicked in the butt or yelled at.

That makes you have to do your tone tricks with pedals, otherwise you'll always find that you're just not there yet.

Anyway, the best solution is to have a small but tough amp for home use and small gigs, and the big bore guns for places where you can freely crank it up and make it breathe fire.

16. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Two Club 40 Blackstar amps. In stereo. In a third floor condo. Because I like them. And so do my neighbors. Well at least they don't complain or give me dirty looks in the parking lot

20181229_094253.jpg

And a 36 watt Hughes and Kettner along with a 20 watt Blackstar. Again, because I like them

20190901_213329.jpg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 3:22 PM
  17. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

Because there was a time when PA was for vocals only, many of the outdoor festivals I played back in the day demanded a 100 watt superlead or something comparable

18. bbarott

bbarott Most Honored Senior Member

Yep. I own several big ones including a 150 watt Musicman from the early '80s. In fact I only have one small one, a DRRI. That said the DRRI gets more show time than anything else since I picked it up. Still good to be able to bring a big gun if that's what ya need.

I sure hate playing in front of the darned things though. That Musicman will melt your face.

19. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

Every amp has a sweet spot and even though the volume dial goes to 10 I never play any louder than on 4-5. Any higher and there isn’t a huge increase in volume on my 40W amps. Realistically The Deluxe Reverb is on 4 sometimes 5 and my Bandmaster Reverb or Pro Reverb are on 3 sometimes 4. When either amp are on the higher of the 2 numbers I turn the guitar down because it’s very loud in a 12’ x 25’ room with a 10’ ceiling. You would think that 10 would be twice the volume than 5 but it doesn't work like that.

20. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

I had a Supersonic 22 (and will again) I can't see needing any more anything. My HT 40 was overkill, clean or dirty. However, amps are amps.

3bolt79, CB91710, abnormaltoy and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.