Join Strat-Talk Today

Stupid loud amps, 40 watts and up...who owns them and why?!?!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The-Kid, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I play a 50 watt Fuchs ODS because I wanted “that sound.” It makes that sound without rattling glassware, and the cleans are big and gorgeous.

2. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

Sold my Super Reverb. Amazing tone but way too big, heavy and loud. Couldn't even fit it in the cab of my dual cab pickup so it would get wet when it rained in the bed of the truck.

Chicago Matt likes this.
  3. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Two loudest amps I ever owned were:

SF Twin.
    AC50 head through a 2x12 bandmaster cab.

Paint peelers.

thxphotog, 3bolt79 and Stratoman10 like this.
  4. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

A friend left his Super Twin at my house for a couple months. It was scary.

3bolt79 and fezz parka like this.
  5. Ferpie

Ferpie Strat-O-Master

I think some of it comes from the fact the Big amps are usually the ones that made a name for themselves.

But yeah, I was playing with a loud drummer and an even louder guitarist (bassman head on 4 pushed by a green rhino into a 4x12) and theBlackstar HT-20 was on 2 o’clock on the clean channel to sit in nicely...

Those 20 watters get pretty loud.

6. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I had a SFTR 135 watt version for my first real amp. I was unaware of the firepower I was about to unleash on my poor unsuspecting neighbors :eek:

fezz parka likes this.
  7. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Strat-Talk Supporter

I love to grind my amps into a tube frying level. However, as most of you know, that won't work in a Condo, House, or even with a garage. I've said this before, buy an attenuator , push your amp until the tubes are on fire, then you can push your amps into the point that your tubes are ready to explode, and listen to it in bedroom levels.
    :D
    PS, didn't read the OP correctly, but using the right gear, and driving my amps, a 60 W Blues D'ville, and a 50/20 Watt THD into a 2X12 Marshall speakers, and even a Blues Jr., I can get thunderous tones at bedroom levels.

J.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 3:04 PM
    EC Strat-boy and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  8. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Lost Planet Airman Strat-Talk Supporter

Well nobody got mic’d back in the old days. It was all Go For Your Guns! It’s always better to have power to spare then to be under powered.

First professional amp was a Music Man HD-130 410... what did I know in 1975 it sounded real good and Clapton was using them. It did a 1000 one nighters and it still sounds great today.

Soldano Decatone ... 3 channel monster! Who doesn’t want a 100 watt amp that says Soldano on the front... probably my best amp over all...

Fender Super Sonic 60... I wanted a combo again... and it just sounded better then the 22 watt one.

Third Power British Dream.... I missed my 1987X so I got a Super Lead circuit in a small package I can actually move around and play at any volume... 50 watts

Now everything is mic’d and I get my own monitor mix so I can use a Blues Jr. if I want... well for small rooms. Bigger places I like to open up one of the bigger amps so I can hear it and it don’t get swallowed by the room.

9. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Also I dont like the PA option given an option between that and an amp.

To me PAs sound lifeless and I cant jive with any of the ones Ive pluged into.

For me a tonestack of some sort is needed to provide character and to support the notes. Pretty much they are to me impossible to dial in right.

Its hard to dial in a PA you just pluged into....the big amp ensures you know what your getting and how to adjust and dial in under any circumstance I feel...were as the random PA doesnt really offer that unless your the tech who works with it daily.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. The-Kid

This thread is not a talk down on smaller watt amps as I hace an AC15 and AC4 and love the power amp saturation but sometimes I crave more headroom and was looking at either a twin, an AC30 or a Super Sonic 60.

Decided to go with a 60 and will get it soon as it offers 60 watts of clean headroom and to me pretty close representations of the bassman and Vibrolux circuit with an amazing tube reverb and IMO MeSA type bowtiq gain.

Will not sell my AC15 as the Fender cant replace that classic AC chimey tone but admitedly do look forward for the extra guaranteee headroom when needed especially at an open mic where I hate pluging into PA.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 1:18 AM
    owenmoney likes this.
  11. The-Kid

This in spades. But I have an AC15 for the heavy power amp saturation. Alot of people think distortion worth mentioning is in the preamp but thr powertube saturation is where its at if you want to get really heavy and not just dirty.

The house guy looks at me sometimes when its too loud but over all doesnt mind cuz the people seem to like it and the tone and volume makes for a good show. Always tells me sounds great. I try not to abuse the power but I have to get loud enough to move the air a bit and get some nice tones especially when your outside playing wich changes quite a few things than just practicing at home or in a garage or inside anywhere.

Anyways plan on using both for in home and out home but just for different purposes.

The AC15 is my main gain monster because it can be controlled easier at 15 watts with a master voluke but the Fender Super Sonic has the classic Fender Cleans with crazy headroom at 60 watts so when I want pure clean its there for me along with the tube reverb and bassman and vibrolux voicings.

For Clean tones the AC15 can do it but just barely and by the time its loud enough there is some hint of edge of break up tone as it has very little headroom and sometimes I strugle with that live so I very much do feel I need the extra volume not for the volume but for the headroom.

Love both and not talking trash on small amps.

Just different tools for different purposes.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 1:18 AM
    owenmoney likes this.
  12. zeedoctour

zeedoctour Strat-Talker

PA abilities have made the giant high wattage monsters of the past *slightly* redundant. Even my 60 watt Fender BDV 212 tube combo has miles of headroom for anywhere I'd be likely to play, and quite a bit larger venues without question. I almost never take it anywhere as my Bugera V22 Redcoat seems to be plenty and is much easier to manage. It seems to have quite a bit of headroom for the blues/rock I play.

fezz parka and jbylake like this.
  13. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Drummers are loud.

14. The-Kid

What I find with Deluxe Reverbs, AC15s and even big amps like Bassmanand Twin for example is your right at some point they dont get any louder like around 4 or 5 is that and at 6 yoi get break up and anything past that is just adding power amp distortion.

roadhog96 and abnormaltoy like this.
  15. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Good drummers are only as loud as they need to be.

16. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

When my drummer took his shirt off and exposed his "Son of Satan" tattoo on day one, I pretty much knew he was no good.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 1:48 AM
  17. Ash-Man

Ash-Man Senior Stratmaster

THIS

this is why I've never really got on with the multi channel master volume amps, yeah you can dial in the amount of gain you want but you have none of the compression or harmonics that would come with the non master that you had to get to the sweet spot

Boogies, Peavy, modern Marshall's, all good amps but they just sound dead or like a caricature of themselves when you start reaching for the gain and dialing back the volume

I'd rather have anything tweed or brown half pushed with a pedal than that, just going off on a tangent don't mind me tweedle-doo (whistling)

ZlurkCorzDog and abnormaltoy like this.
  18. Class A Knob

Class A Knob Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, a better analogy for the OP's question would be the size of gun. He needs a 9mm but buys a .45ACP for the extra power.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  19. abnormaltoy

abnormaltoy Mouth breathin' knuckle dragger Strat-Talk Supporter

I got you...well maybe I'm out of the Tweedle-doo loop, but I like to get the amp just into the crunchy break up then add a stomp box when needed (I really have no experience to speak of with Marshalls).

ZlurkCorzDog and Ash-Man like this.
  20. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Mine's 200 watts. I was going for the 50 watt version but couldn't find one used so I got this. I use it for everything, even playing at home.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.