Join Strat-Talk Today

Stupid loud amps, 40 watts and up...who owns them and why?!?!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The-Kid, Dec 1, 2019.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Normally id say yes as I too love the 60 over the 22 but I only say that because the 60 moves a lot more air and the headroom on the clean is great.

The OD channel is pretty beast and at 60 watts it moves the right amount of air.

I said I was going with a Block Print Gen 1 vs a Script Cursive Gen 2 because I felt the Gen 1 sounded better. But saw the Gen 2 Script they had at GC used and it didnt have the original speaker so thats why I didnt jive with it. It had a 25th anni V30. Just sounded a bit different and wasnt getting me the sound the stock Gen 1 had with original V30.

To my ears the Gen 1 sounded no different to the Gen 2 I played 6 years ago. The Gen 2 I played at the store sounded different because of the speaker change. The 25th anniv V30 to me sounds nothing like a stock V30.
    Just get a reverb pedal and you got a monster twin tone.

mapleglo likes this.
  2. Brian Krashpad

Brian Krashpad Strat-Talker

Other than a 15W Super Champ XD I got for a low-volume church gig, up until the last 4 or 5 years, all my amps were 40W or more. I especially like the 40W-60W range for tube amps. Loud but not crazy loud. I mainly play with bands, not so much around the house.

Here is the stable in 2012. There are a bunch more combos now, almost all of the additions are also 40W or more.

[​IMG]

3. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talker

It depends on the stage volume of the others, and if you trust the PA engineer to set up your monitoring. My current drummer is loud so my 50w amp is set at 3 to 4 (of 10).

If you use monitors with a small amp miced up, you risk not hearing your own playing, digging in too much and loosing finesse and technique. Miced-up small amps are for pros that get respect from the sound engineer.

At a recent gig the sound troll asked me if I needed "that" at all, and pointed at my rented DRRI. He proposed I plug direct into some cheapo digital mixer. When I asked if he has a di box and an amp sim plug in, he looked clueless. Like whatever, ok boomer.

Way too many sound engineers have gained all of their experience doing edm/dj sets. I can't trust them one bit.

BuddyHollywood, ntotoro and dirocyn like this.
  4. Dewey

Dewey Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a 100w Katana 2x12 that I bought for a practice amp. :)

5. EC Strat-boy

EC Strat-boy Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Your point of reference may be different than mine although I’ve played at volume at jams and in a garage band - but I think you’re selling the current Marshall’s a bit short. Granted I’ve retubed mine wifh RTFs and upgraded the speaker to a Creamback and for me, even at bedroom levels the new production DSLs are sweet. I love the cleans as well and this is the first Marshall I can say that about.
    Not trying to oversell the amp bc I have it - just pointing out Marshall made a lot of corrections and fixed the problems that plagued pre 2018 DSL models. It’s still a 4 channel amp but Theres no volume differences now for example between the channels the fizz is gone on the ultra gain - but yes the reverb still sucks.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  6. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

My main amp is a 75w 4x10 bassman. It's a cute little practice amp, for bass. Definitely not enough for a gig with a drummer. I'd want 300w for that.

When I play guitar through it I crank down the attenuator. Otherwise it might kill me.

7. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely true. I know several. One can play at any volume from nighttime practice level with people sleeping in the house, to arena level. The other two like to brag that they play "like John Bonham" and (I swear this is true) one even complained that he had trouble hearing my guitar through my 1970s 50 watt Peavey 212 Classic.

Chicago Matt, Cerb and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

I had one of the most insane amps EVER built. I got it because I always wanted a half stack so when the opportunity to buy a Peavey Supreme 160 came up I was all over it. I got it home and turned the volume up to about 4 and hit my first power chord. After looking like Marty McFly and then stopping the bleeding from my ears I decided to never turn it up past. 25% of 1. After about a year of it just being a dust collector because it was WAAAAYYYYYYY too stupid loud I eventually just sold it to the next unsuspecting goof.
    I got it because I thought it was cool. I didn't realize just how loud it really was. Plus it's weight was STUPIDLY INSANE too. The head alone weighed 68 pounds.

thxphotog, Chicago Matt and Cerb like this.
  9. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Sometimes I fantasize about taking my 200w amp outside, somewhere away from people and crank it. Just to see what it's like you know...

10. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-Talker

I'm in the "plug in and turn it up to the sweet spot" camp. I like power tube distortion and don't use an OD or distortion pedal, so a good attenuator is an essential piece of gear for me. I'm a member or a trio. We mic everything even in a small venue, not necessarily to add volume but to provide the house with a balanced mix. If there's no sound guy, then I'm it - mic and balance the band, set and forget, use stage dynamics.

I'm blessed to be playing with a dynamic drummer who knows how to use bundle sticks or brushes if appropriate. I currently own 3 amps. I have a Pro Jr. for a backup, but my primary gigging amp is a 5e3 clone. The amp I've owned the longest that I haven't sold off is a 57 Twin RI - the low-power (40w) Tweed Twin. I used to use it when I had another guitar player who always played too loud. I don't play with him anymore. The low-power twin is a beautiful sounding amp and I'm not selling it, but I seldom need it. The only times I take it is if it's an outdoor gig.

11. jaxjaxon

jaxjaxon Strat-Talker

I don't own any large amps any more. 30 is the biggest I own now.

12. thxphotog

thxphotog Strat-Talker

So question: In a "bedroom setting", or perhaps even a bar, do you crank the volume to 10 then use the Master to taste? Is that the typical methodology? I have a HRD IV (loud) and a Vox AC/15 and am always playing with volume & master to find a sweet spot that I never seem to feel confident with.

Stratoman10 and The-Kid like this.
  13. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

before I knew how to tune a guitar at the age of 13, I had a Marshall 25/50 watt mini stack that was taller than I was.

I bought a used '68 Drip Edge Bandmaster for $250 and had it fully restored.

Some time in the '00s, I bought a Marshall JTM-60.

They can be loud, but they don't have to be in order to sound good.

14. davidKOS

davidKOS playing, teaching, recording Strat-Talk Supporter

Even an SS roll-and-tuck amp!

The-Kid likes this.
  15. anticarnist

anticarnist Strat-Talk Member

I actually use the triode/pentode switch. I’m in the “buy once” camp.

16. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Strat-Talk Supporter

Wow, 1 Chord and a squealing pig. Heck even I can do that.

17. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

That's how I run mine. Crank the volume up around 7 or 8 then control overall volume with guitar and MV

thxphotog likes this.
  18. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

You are missing the point of being a entertainer.

It does not matter how many scales I can fly through, if my strings are cobalt, or if my pickups are vintage wound with magically aged copper wire.

All that matters is if my audience is enthusiastically entertained.

Those kids are having an all out blast!

Played any gigs lately where the audience had that much fun?

jbylake, anticarnist and Cerb like this.
  19. nederemer

nederemer Senior Stratmaster

Just about the max volume any fender I have ever played is probably right around 5 on the volume knob. After that they don't get any louder in my experience just saturated.

FWIW I live in a subdivision - and I have cranked my twin reverb. Who cares? The guys down the street play louder than I do! As long as it's before 10 pm when the noise ordinance kicks in they can't do diddly. My neighbor is an old lady, she's probably half deaf anyway (and obviously I am going to join her in that soon.)

20. CigBurn

CigBurn Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I love a good ballad.

And if you're going to wear just a bra and no shirt.. at least wear matching panties. Posers can't even dress themselves. :)

jbylake, Cerb and vid1900 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.