Join Strat-Talk Today

Stupid loud amps, 40 watts and up...who owns them and why?!?!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The-Kid, Dec 1, 2019.

1. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-Talker

I bought a 50 watt Carvin Bel Air because it was the best sounding amp I found in my price range at the time. I tried a Carvin Nomad which is the 1 X 12" version of the same amp and there was that something extra about the sound of the 2 X 12" Bel Air that sealed the deal. I still love the sound of it at home levels and at live levels. It's a bit warmer than most Fenders which it resembles but not at all muddy. I love the balanced tone it produces.

[​IMG]

Lester H likes this.
  2. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Attemting a stagedive when you're a naked, over weight, middle aged man seems like a recipe for disaster. Other than that it looks like my last birthday party.

3. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

Me too, it's the most easy thing to write.

You can see the one guy gave up on fashion and simply went naked for the entire show.

That could never happen in the States, "We are charging you with mass public nudity - you will now be a Registered Sex Offender for the rest of your life"

Cerb likes this.
  4. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Always...always be kind to the house engineer. Bring him a sandwich. Flip him a 20. Buy him a beer or three. ;)

5. rockon1

rockon1 Strat-Talker

Honestly Ive never looked for an amps sweet spot. I adjust the gain to where I want to be and turn the master to the desired level. I also try not to get too picky. A decent classic rock crunch and a boosted lead tone is easy enough to coax out of amp and to boot the audience really doesnt care that much-if at all. There are things that help me get what I want - the "right" speaker for the amp I feel is most important. After that other bits- FX loop for EQ, EQ pedal in front, touch of ambience to sweeten thing up, ect.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Chicago Matt and thxphotog like this.
  6. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member

Nice

I have the 1x12 I don’t need all that power but it’s really stupid loud if I need it to be.

Bob the builder and Dewey like this.
  7. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

None of my amps have a master volume...but all of the have that interactive volume control thing going on. Execpt the Champ.

8. Bcorig

Bcorig Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

Just sold my 60W ProSonic. Did not need all that power, dull at low volume but great distortion channels.
    15W is all I need in my doddering.

9. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

He's Czech, he'll be fine.

I'm sure his kids were there watching daddy stagedive.

Kids under 13 get in free at OEF (they even have a kiddie stage), all the food served is vegetarian, bring your own booze, security is super tolerant & friendly. US based festivals could learn a lot from them

http://www.obsceneextreme.cz/en

Cerb likes this.
  10. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

I have 2.

One is a 1981 ( ish) Roland Bolt-60 - a 60 Watt two channel hybrid - a SS front end and 12AT7 ( PI ) / 6L6 power. Mrs TD bought for my birthday. The clean channel is sweet but the distortion channel not-so. Pedals are great on the clean channel.

Got it refurbished around 2010 or 11 by Andy Fuchs since he is in the next town over and he is a master designer & builder. He did a great job.

Here is one just like mine...
    https://reverb.com/item/1534345-roland-bolt-60-vintage-tube-amp

The other is Marshall DSL40c.
    I had a '96-ish Marshall Valvestate 15 that I gifted to an autistic teen neighbor who is something of a musical savant - along with An Epiphone LP that The Mrs found in a garage sale that was in need of a lot of TLC. I rebuilt the LP for him.

Since one really needs an amp to go with the LP, the Mrs said if I gave it to him, I could buy a new Marshall. So....

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019
    Buzzgrowl likes this.
  11. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talker

I agree and there are 2 reasons for this.

1. The SE gets to listen to a lot of painfully bad playing and deal with wierdos with problems (musicians). It's a choice but some empathy and kindness is only human.

2. If the SE is a tool you won't get anything better or even good out of him if you are anything less than nice.

Having said this, SEs are masters at imagining that everyone else but them has an attitude and that musicians are hell bent on giving them misery. These days, with edm/dj gigs counting for a lot of paid gigs, live SEs are inreasingly clueless.

ntotoro and fezz parka like this.
  12. Buzzgrowl

Buzzgrowl Strat-Talker

Hey me too has Bolt 60! Rare amp. Had mine refurbished this year. Loves pedals. Dirty chanel is off permanently. I put an Eminence 1258 in it. I've played it everything on 10 a few times, its a great sound driving those 6l6s. Loves pedals. And it loves pedals.

Tone Deaf likes this.
  13. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

See my post. I’d book at least one hernia op. up front.You’ll need it!

14. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

You need 10x the RMS output to double the perceived volume.

15. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I have a 60W Blackstar, a 100 Watt Katana, and a 500W Friedman FRFR. The MV never goes over 3 on the amps even at practice or gigs. I just like the way they sounded and it's always nice to have more if you need it :)

Stratoman10 likes this.
  16. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

I have 40-watt Mesa 4x10 and 60-watt Seymour Duncan tube amps. When I played with a band, my amps were never mic'ed. At the time, I'd try to play the Mesa on one side of the stage and a SR on the other. Inside gigs, neither amp probably got above a 4. Outdoor gigs, I'd sometimes have 'em up to 6 or 7.

I honestly came by them because that's what I found that I liked at what I thought was a reasonable price. The Seymour Duncan was given to me for doing a will/trust for a friend. I use it playing at my church now. AND I was just told last Sunday by my wife and son that I was too loud. I could easily get by there with 15 or 20 watts, but the only amp I have in that category is a Jet City JCA22H with a 2x12 WGS cab. And that baby is just too rockin for most church songs (yes, I could dial it down, but I refuse).

I don't need a 40 watt or higher amp at this point. But I have them because I thought I needed/wanted/given them at the time. If I were young now, I'd stick with a 15-20 watter (Preferable a Budda Superdrive 18). And I was always a combo man. But I recently got the Jet City and a Marshall head and cabs. I think I like that better now, but I sure don't save money doing that.

Yaralag and Seymour Duncan like this.
  17. roadhog96

roadhog96 Strat-O-Master

139E94A8-BD63-4D05-8196-CBE0BFF39F0B.jpeg
    This is what matters, if your amp has one use it. 15W, 20W, 40W, 100W don’t matter. Don’t need it loud, turn it left. Need it loud, turn it right. Works for me every time so far.

18. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

back in a different century i bought a peavy deuce amp in an anvil flight case for a song.

it was 120 watts of 6L6 tube power - i just did not know any better !

Miotch likes this.
  19. jstewart

jstewart Strat-O-Master

If the club owner is not yelling at you to turn it down, you ain’t doing it right.

BlacknBlue, The-Kid and Miotch like this.
  20. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I had one of those.
    It wasn't loud enough so I built a 4-12 to stack under it and ran all 6 speakers.

In retrospect, that amp is probably at least partially at fault for my hearing loss today.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.