Join Strat-Talk Today

Stupid loud amps, 40 watts and up...who owns them and why?!?!

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by The-Kid, Dec 1, 2019.

1. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i only jammed all out in front of a marshall half stack 1 time and it was an all time experience, but my ears were wobbly on the way out the door, 6 twelves musta been moving more than air !

Silvercrow likes this.
  2. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Indeed it was.
    My drummer was loud! He went to the Tommy Aldridge School for Cavemen.

Silvercrow, ntotoro, Miotch and 4 others like this.
  3. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Strat-Talk Supporter

Nah! I don't think many folks around here would have that much fun either. The naked fat guy stage diving would probably be entertaining, though, when every one jumped for their lives and his head spattered all over the ground. Plus I can't sing at all. But I could run out to the country and pay some farmer to let me record some of his pigs, and just put it through a looper. Hell, I might even learn that one chord and give it a try, if it pays well enough.:D

4. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

amen

5. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

That has become my favorite amp regardless of what it cost.

Before trying out the Carvin I don't think I would play more than one gig in a row with the same amp out of the small handful I owned including a Twin Reverb, Hot Rod Deluxe, Classic 50 etc. looking for a sound. Once I got the Belair I haven't had the amp merry go around syndrome since. Every gig, every practice and every day has been my Belair for 5 years now. I love the soak channel (unmodified) at low gain settings and is my base tone. It's very rich and harmonic and the in-between positions on a strat have so much more clarity than any amp I've played. The biggest challenge was adjusting the tone controls with my ears and not my eyes. Once I found what I liked I haven't even changed my settings since. It's very consistent sounding day after day.

Anyway to the original question I like amps in the 30-50 watt range as long as they're in a 212 format. I don't need 100 watts anymore but there was a time that was my target size. Even an 85 watt twin is too much for me anymore.

I can't quite find the confidence in 20 watts or less amps yet but I'm working on it. I could possibly entertain the Vox AC 15 212.

ZlurkCorzDog and The-Kid like this.
  6. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Those Carvin "tweed" amps are pretty nice.
    They came out in the 90s when everyone was getting into the "Nouveau Tweed" fad in the mid 90s... Peavey had the Classic series, Carvin the BelAir/Nomad, Fender the tweed versions of the Blues series. Heck, I've even got a little "tweed" Epiphone battery powered POS that's covered in a tweed print vinyl from that era.
    IMHO, they were nicer than the Peavey Classic series.

Lester H likes this.
  7. Jigawatt

Jigawatt Strat-Talker

I use a blues deville. (60w) for me perceived loudness and ‘power’ or ‘balls’ are different things. It’s this I always find I miss using a smaller amp. The movement or air.

Like a 100w bass amp will be loud enough to gig with but it won’t be shaking anyone’s trouser legs..

8. The-Kid

Must agree the belairs where amazing.

I went into the Carvin Store in Santa Ana several times....

The Belair the V3 the Legacy all amazing amps. All made in the USA.

Shame they no longer are made.

But on the AC15. I feel the 112 is large enough to move morr than enough air but also check out the AC15C1 head if you already have a cab and then plan on getting a more portable 112 or 212 later down the road.

AC15C1 are so much fun. You get so much control of the power amp break up with a small format but still loud enough to get more than heard.

Lester H likes this.
  9. ntotoro

ntotoro Strat-O-Master

Biggest reasons why I won’t use modelers, an AxeFX or really anything direct when playing out. Even if I could get a useable sound out of it for a gig (I’m sure anyone could, really), there’s no saying what a SE at the kinds of gigs we play would do with or two it or even if he knew what to do. We’re playing local bars and occasional small local festivals, not Capital One Arena.

10. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Great option! Firs time I heard one I think Jim Herring was using it....

Trouble is, for a schmoe like me playing local venues, they do run (new) around $1K. Probably out of most folk's budget- specially when your talking the same cost (or more) of your amp...

Brian

The-Kid likes this.
  11. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

The AC15 head is something I have considered. I have the matching 212 cab with Vintage 30s for my Belair already and it would be a good match I think.

Honestly my main hang up on the AC15 is the lack of an effects loop. I use just a touch of delay in my base sound but I have never been completely happy with delay in front of an amp, seems more natural sounding in a loop but just my opinion.

The-Kid likes this.
  12. The-Kid

Yeah I hear you one of the qualms I have to. Dont ever use an effects loop really but it be nice if it was there.

I have a DM2W delay and CE2W chorus and both sound excellent through the front end. Otherwise if that is all thats holding you back id say the positives outway the negatives.

Super controlable EQ with tone cut and bass and treble. Very easy to conyrol gain and make it managable especially if you run with pedals. Master volume for easy dialing in of volume. And the head features the atenuator. Onboard reverb and trem sound amazing for slight clean or fully cranked.

Lester H likes this.
  13. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-O-Master

Got my PA 100 back from service today.
    PA100 copy.jpg

Yikes, this thing is loud. Sound much better now :)

14. Lester H

Lester H Strat-Talker

Thanks. Good to hear.

I've pretty much decided after the holidays I'm going to get serious about a Vox. I would like to try some out and I'm not opposed to the Vox AC 30S1 1x12 either but I'd just have to see if I can be satisfied with only a top boost channel. But I plan to try it along with the 15 and a regular 30 as well. But I could see myself leaving with a 30 most likely but we'll see.

15. Agtronic

Agtronic Strat-Talk Member

I’ve had a lot of amps over the years. It’s been a long journey to finally understand how to get a good tone. (Good to my ears). And it comes down to this: I always had way too much power.

Now, I have a ‘64 Super Reverb and I feel it is the amp that does everything for me. I have to admit, I have modified it a little bit to tame it. And it’s still STUPID loud. But I can play it comfortably at home and get a killer blues tone with both my Strat and my LP. Most other amps I’ve had, would not do this. Using an OD pedal helps a lot, but you still have to get the tubes cooking a bit to get it to sound special.

I also have a Super Champ XD which is a Chinese Fender that sports 15w, a solid state preamp and a 6v6 power section. It’s plenty loud. In fact it was the first amp I had that I really liked a lot.

So to answer WHY anyone would have a 40w tube amp at home, for me, it’s because no other amp has made me weak in the knees with its tone. And yes I think it’s way too loud for most home use. But I tend to play too loud when I’m home alone. Wifey always tells me you can hear it from outside the house when all the doors and windows are closed. It just doesn’t sing unless you crank it up a bit. I never have the volume past 1 and it’s stupid loud. I have tried it up to 8 once, but it’s not sustainable and your ears will ring for two days.

16. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

I love my BF DR cranked to about 6-7... it’s great.

abnormaltoy likes this.
  17. UmpaHimself

UmpaHimself Senior Stratmaster

My two main amps right now are a 1968 Bandmaster 40w and I just acquired a Ceriatone JM 100w with a half power switch. FWIW, I also have a Super-Sonic 22w combo and the first channel is super clean and plenty loud. Somehow I just feel the power the 40w+ amps push sounds different. It's fuller, more power in the low end... I love it. I have them both sharing a 2x10 cab which is the first time I have strayed away from 12" speakers and I'm loving it. Very punchy.

roadhog96 likes this.
  18. mapleglo

mapleglo Strat-O-Master

My Vibrolux Reverb is 40 watts into 2x10s and I agree, it's great combo.

roadhog96 and ZlurkCorzDog like this.
  19. PetesWindmill

PetesWindmill Senior Stratmaster

High wattage amps are incredibly useful, and here is why. Keep in mind this is coming from a gigging perspective, not a bedroom practice perspective, that's what God made the Boss Katana and the 5F1 for.

You're at a bar gig, not big enough to mic up or push any tube amp over 5 watts. Pretty common scenario. Lets say you have a 20 watt single channel amp (ALA Deluxe Reverb) and need to go from sparkling clean to nasty in the same set. You're only option is to run the DR as a pedal platform. Now, in my opinion, Amp drive is almost always better than Pedal drive. It's not a situation I would put myself in. So maybe a 20 watt multichannel amp like a Classic 20? Sure You can get amp overdrive and cleans at decent volumes. A good pick for a bar gig.

But lets say your next gig is at an outdoor event. Again, not crazy big enough to mic you up, but they decided to mic the drums. So now your Peavey Classic 20 doesn't have the headroom to keep up with the drums and vocals clean. Your Deluxe Reverb does, but it's still too loud to crank, and besides, you need more than just a clean or just a dirty.

But lets say you have a 40 watt amp. Say a DSL40C? Pretty common amp in that range. Now you have an amp that has good drive and good cleans, plenty of headroom, and gain that is a stomp away, at the same volume. At a bar gig? Turn your master down to match the band. At a bigger show? Bring up the master.

Remember y'all, no one cares about your "tone" other than you, so in my opinion, something that gets the job done as easily as possible, in as many situations as possible, is always going to win over an amp that might be good in one scenario but unsuited for another.

Now if you're recording, be as picky as you want, or just use a 5F1. Those little suckers are magical.

20. The-Kid

They also make the Ac30CH head.

My advice on the AC30S1.. Its fun and sounds good. But it doesny offer tone cut and for me thats a big minus and what makes a Vox a Vox. Also does not offer normal channel.

If you really want AC no frills the choice IMO is the AC15 and AC30.

AC10 and Ac30S1 are nice but lack of a Tone Cut is a no no for me if your after the true vox tone.

Try the AC15C1 and you will be greatly surprised. Pair with an OD of your choice when testing. But if its not enough then for sure go AC30. And as said both come in head and combo versions. I prefer the combo as I just put wheels on them to make them easy to transport but for others the head and cab format is where its for portabiility.

Lester H likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.