Suggestions for a tremolo kit?

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by adiabatic, Aug 17, 2018.

1. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

I'm looking for a medium skill level trem kit to build. The more soldering the better! I got a new solder station this week and I want to give it a workout.

Preferably with optical trem. Any suggestions?

Already ruled out:

- Small Bear Tremulous Bear - insane shipping prices to Canada (almost doubling the kit price)
    - Mammoth Bermuda Tremolo - out of stock

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Check out what BYOC has to offer. I have a couple of theirs.

adiabatic likes this.
  3. adiabatic

Thanks. I may do that. I liked the look of the Small Bear and may still get it as well... I just have to time it with my next trip to the US to get the shipping cost more reasonable.

4. adiabatic

I bought and built the BYOC tremolo. It was a good refresher in soldering on a PCB, was a nice complete kit and I learned a lot about fitting everything into a little box (i.e., what you need to do outside the box vs. things to solder inside). As a pedal, it gets the job done well enough other than a bit of interference with DC power and the pulsing LED at high gain (it's silent on battery though).

Then I found the Zeppelin Quaverato at only $15 more than the BYOC. It's got a lot more going on in terms of build complexity and pedal tweakability. So I ordered that one as my next project. If I like it, I'll give the BYOC to a friend or something.

https://zeppelindesignlabs.com/product/quaverato-harmonic-tremolo-pedal/?attribute_pa_form=kit

5. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

That does look like a cool kit. Might look into that myself.

6. adiabatic

The Quaverato kit has arrived and as I looked at the instructions two features jumped out at me that I missed during my impulse purchase... the pedal is ready for an optional MIDI module (coming soon) and has a header to load your own programming (which is a perfect gateway for me to a future Spin FV-1 project I have in mind).

Incredible value compared to the BYOC. I'm looking forward to this build.