Join Strat-Talk Today

Suggestions for a tremolo kit?

Discussion in 'DIY Effects Forum' started by adiabatic, Aug 17, 2018.

1. adiabatic

adiabatic Senior Stratmaster

I'm looking for a medium skill level trem kit to build. The more soldering the better! I got a new solder station this week and I want to give it a workout.

Preferably with optical trem. Any suggestions?

Already ruled out:

- Small Bear Tremulous Bear - insane shipping prices to Canada (almost doubling the kit price)
    - Mammoth Bermuda Tremolo - out of stock

2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

Check out what BYOC has to offer. I have a couple of theirs.

adiabatic likes this.
  3. adiabatic

Thanks. I may do that. I liked the look of the Small Bear and may still get it as well... I just have to time it with my next trip to the US to get the shipping cost more reasonable.

4. adiabatic

I bought and built the BYOC tremolo. It was a good refresher in soldering on a PCB, was a nice complete kit and I learned a lot about fitting everything into a little box (i.e., what you need to do outside the box vs. things to solder inside). As a pedal, it gets the job done well enough other than a bit of interference with DC power and the pulsing LED at high gain (it's silent on battery though).

Then I found the Zeppelin Quaverato at only $15 more than the BYOC. It's got a lot more going on in terms of build complexity and pedal tweakability. So I ordered that one as my next project. If I like it, I'll give the BYOC to a friend or something.

https://zeppelindesignlabs.com/product/quaverato-harmonic-tremolo-pedal/?attribute_pa_form=kit

5. Teddy Watkins

Teddy Watkins Senior Stratmaster

That does look like a cool kit. Might look into that myself.

6. adiabatic

The Quaverato kit has arrived and as I looked at the instructions two features jumped out at me that I missed during my impulse purchase... the pedal is ready for an optional MIDI module (coming soon) and has a header to load your own programming (which is a perfect gateway for me to a future Spin FV-1 project I have in mind).

Incredible value compared to the BYOC. I'm looking forward to this build.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.