Suggestions for Amps with a Naturally ‘Darker Tone’, please

kdines

Strat-Talker
Dec 12, 2019
San Diego
Dear All - I am just not a fan of treble in general or the ‘sharpness’ you can sometimes get at the ‘front of the note’. I hope that makes sense! I have a Morgan MVP23 which I really like as the attack is very smooth but it lacks the strong bottom end of my Victory Sheriff and matching cabinet (but which has a sharper note attack which I don’t quite like). I know, I know - first world problems and all that! My tone settings tend to be the opposite of what I typically see people using - my treble is around 10 o’clock and my bass is around 2:30 o’clock. So, while I can definitely dial in sounds more to my liking especially with a light overdrive pedal, I was wondering whether anybody has recommendations for an amp that just has an intrinsically warmer, ‘darker’ sound. I’m hoping that one of the Fender ToneMaster amps will work out for me - probably the Twin Reverb but really interested in your collective experience.

Many thanks and take care.

Stevn

Senior Stratmaster
May 31, 2017
Oxnard, CA
Dear All - I am just not a fan of treble in general or the ‘sharpness’ you can sometimes get at the ‘front of the note’. I hope that makes sense! I have a Morgan MVP23 which I really like as the attack is very smooth but it lacks the strong bottom end of my Victory Sheriff and matching cabinet (but which has a sharper note attack which I don’t quite like). I know, I know - first world problems and all that! My tone settings tend to be the opposite of what I typically see people using - my treble is around 10 o’clock and my bass is around 2:30 o’clock. So, while I can definitely dial in sounds more to my liking especially with a light overdrive pedal, I was wondering whether anybody has recommendations for an amp that just has an intrinsically warmer, ‘darker’ sound. I’m hoping that one of the Fender ToneMaster amps will work out for me - probably the Twin Reverb but really interested in your collective experience.

Maybe a fender frontman. I had to buy pedals to bring out the high end on my 25r.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama

Twin Reverbs are anything BUT dark.

kdines

Strat-Talker
Dec 12, 2019
San Diego
My Blackstars have a nice clean tone. Not as sharp or piercing as some Fenders

My HK Tubemiester 36 has my favorite cleans an great high gain as well.

Whats your budget ?
Hi - thanks for your message. I’d probably be OK with up to $2K for something that checked the boxes!

Stevem

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 3, 2014
NY
You can turn any amp into a smooth darker player in a matter of minutes by just for example installing a model BP122 12” bass driver made by Eminence.
This drivers frequency range only goes up to 2.3k, not 5.5k or more as most standard guitar drivers do.

They also make many 10” drivers that will fit the bill.
These types of Bass drivers are a tad less efficient though so you have to open up the amp louder which may not be a bad thing since you will get output stage clipping at a lower volume level.

Stratoman10

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Aug 24, 2015
Va. Beach, Va
Hi - thanks for your message. I’d probably be OK with up to $2K for something that checked the boxes!

With that kind of budget your options are wide open. It really just boils down to how much amp do you need.

New or used ? Head and cab or combo ? Pedals too ? No matter what you decide you can pretty well fit your needs and have money left over