Suggestions for Amps with a Naturally ‘Darker Tone’, please

kdines

Strat-Talker
Dec 12, 2019
San Diego
With that kind of budget your options are wide open. It really just boils down to how much amp do you need.

New or used ? Head and cab or combo ? Pedals too ? No matter what you decide you can pretty well fit your needs and have money left over
Good questions and I should have been more specific. I prefer head and cab (as I can keep the head by me for aimless fiddling) and I’m good for pedals (hahaha.....although there can always be room for one more!). I’m a Strat player 99% of the time. Used is always an option. Thanks!

stratosurf

Strat-O-Master
Nov 28, 2018
Surf City, NY
Get (or try) a Bassbreaker. Without the bright switch on they're definitely on the dark side (but not muffled).

Strats sound amazing through these amps.

Last edited:

rrben29

Senior Stratmaster
Dec 25, 2012
Houston, Texas
This one is probably not what you are looking for but I got into a dark mood just looking at the Fender Excelsior and down right depressed after playing it.
Very Dark

View attachment 488404

This... had the pro version and that thing was DARK or BRIGHT with no in between... had to get an eq pedal to tame it right. Also has a 15 in speaker so you won't be lacking in the bass end.

kdines

Strat-Talker
Dec 12, 2019
San Diego
I’m really appreciative of everybody’s posts and suggestions. Definitely looking forward to trying my brother’s Bassbreaker 15 late next week - assuming I am successful in my daring mission to travel to the UK.