Suggestions for new guitar

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
Hey all. I love Fender. Absolutely adore my Strats and Mustang. However, after 30 years I am just sick of them. I gotta head a different direction for a while.

So, I’ll line out what I’m looking for generally, and you all maybe give me your thoughts. I will try as many guitars as I can, of course. Ok, here we go.

If I could justify an Ovation Ultra GP we wouldn’t be looking at this post...

Double cut
24 3/4
Switch on the bottom by knobs
12” or less neck radius
C-shape profile, I definitely like fender profiles.
Fairly aggressive bridge pickup
Thinner body than Les Paul
Non trem bridge
Less than four knobs
I don’t care about finish options-probably go with something traditional.
Not extremely glossy neck.

ive been looking hard at the newer Epiphone models. They are coming so close to the sound and feel of Gibson. I don’t want to spend Gibson money if I don’t have to. I’ve been looking hard at the DC Pro, but I don’t know if the pickups will match me. Also the headstock is a little too loud and pretty. But I like the shape and size and most specs except the controls layout.

Bottom line is I’d like more of a true Les Paul sound without breaking the bank or my back. I like a heavy sound with the ability to throw it on the neck pickup for pretty sounds.

let me know. I’ve posted a few times, tele, sg questions, but they aren’t me. Thanks everyone.

Ed Storer

Strat-O-Master
Sep 5, 2016
Seattle
You've also described an EBMM Silhouette HSH. I don't know what the current specification for the bridge pickup is, but the 1991 Silo is a great little guitar with a 25-1/2" 24-fret fretboard, light short, and versatile.

EVH took the truss rod adjustment wheel and incorporated into all his collaborations with Peavey and Fender. You can adjust the truss rod with a nail with the strings at full tension.

In addition to having HB's in neck and bridge positions, it has a really good strong single coil in the middle. I love that pickup. The 5-way switching is attributed to Steve Vai and Ibanez. The notch positions combine the middle pickup with the closest split coil of the HB.

Definitely worth a look.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Hey all. I love Fender. Absolutely adore my Strats and Mustang. However, after 30 years I am just sick of them. I gotta head a different direction for a while.

So, I’ll line out what I’m looking for generally, and you all maybe give me your thoughts. I will try as many guitars as I can, of course. Ok, here we go.

Double cut
24 3/4
12” or less neck radius
Non trem bridge
Less than four knobs

ive been looking hard at the newer Epiphone models. They are coming so close to the sound and feel of Gibson. I don’t want to spend Gibson money if I don’t have to. I’ve been looking hard at the DC Pro, but I don’t know if the pickups will match me. Also the headstock is a little too loud and pretty. But I like the shape and size and most specs except the controls layout.

Bottom line is I’d like more of a true Les Paul sound without breaking the bank or my back. I like a heavy sound with the ability to throw it on the neck pickup for pretty sounds.

let me know. I’ve posted a few times, tele, sg questions, but they aren’t me. Thanks everyone.

Try out the Epiphones. They are a great bang for the buck and the Probuckers are fantastic. Not quite as much beef as the Burstbuckers but for the price difference between the Epiphones and Gibsons, well worth it. The coil splits will give you all the tones you want/need even if not quite a true single coil sound.

Of course the LP is just as thick, but if it's weight, not bulk that's the concern, try to find, (emphasis on try) and ES LP Pro to test.

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
I would not be averse to a Les Paul special double cut if it
You've also described an EBMM Silhouette HSH. I don't know what the current specification for the bridge pickup is, but the 1991 Silo is a great little guitar with a 25-1/2" 24-fret fretboard, light short, and versatile.

EVH took the truss rod adjustment wheel and incorporated into all his collaborations with Peavey and Fender. You can adjust the truss rod with a nail with the strings at full tension.

In addition to having HB's in neck and bridge positions, it has a really good strong single coil in the middle. I love that pickup. The 5-way switching is attributed to Steve Vai and Ibanez. The notch positions combine the middle pickup with the closest split coil of the HB.

Definitely worth a look.
I actually always liked them. I’m trying to get something withe a shorter scale though. The overall size is good though. Still worth a look. Forgot about this model. Thank you.

StummerJoe

Senior Stratmaster
May 10, 2020
Washington

Double cut
24 3/4
12” or less neck radius
Non trem bridge
Less than four knobs

What's your budget like? Don't want to suggest a Novo, Huber, EBMM, for example if it is unrealistic to your budget. You'll get more useful results.

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
Try out the Epiphones. They are a great bang for the buck and the Probuckers are fantastic. Not quite as much beef as the Burstbuckers but for the price difference between the Epiphones and Gibsons, well worth it. The coil splits will give you all the tones you want/need even if not quite a true single coil sound.

Of course the LP is just as thick, but if it's weight, not bulk that's the concern, try to find, (emphasis on try) and ES LP Pro to test.
I’ve been thinking about some of the Epiphone models a lot. I’ve seen and read so many reviews that say they are edging very close to Gibson in sound and feel. Even a standard single cut with the normal controls is not out of the question.

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief

Definitely worth a look.

lol...GMTA

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
What's your budget like? Don't want to suggest a Novo, Huber, EBMM, for example if it is unrealistic to your budget. You'll get more useful results.
Good question. It’s really all about the right guitar. I hate the idea of spending over $1000, but would likely be able to swing as high as $2000-it will probably be the last guitar I buy. I haven’t bought a guitar since 1996. More recently for parts I’ve bought cheap guitar, but not an “instrument” since 96. I’d say $2000 is the top of the top, but I hate the idea of that. It’s a big deal, I never spend money.

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
Les Paul double cut special p90s satin finish nitro, thinner than an op standard and lighter usually
This is an option I’m considering, but the bridge p90 puts me off. I love them, but I need a humbucker. I don’t want destroy that nice of a guitar if possible. If I could LPDC with a humbucker at the bridge, it would be a contender.

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
This is an option I’m considering, but the bridge p90 puts me off. I love them, but I need a humbucker. I don’t want destroy that nice of a guitar if possible.
Dumb question, but are there good options for a p90 sized humbucker that would drop in? I just can’t do a p90.

StummerJoe

Senior Stratmaster
May 10, 2020
Washington
Rivolta are the import versions of Novo guitars designed by Dennis Fano, formerly of Fano guitars, and check a lot of your boxes. This is their Mondata II model. 25" scale 12" radius, retails for about a 1K. They offer other models for less with different p/u's and scale lengths. Nice stuff.
rivolta.jpg rivolta2.jpg
Eastwood also makes a lot of guitars that check your boxes. Happy hunting!:thumb:

Last edited:

Jason D

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 30, 2016
Fulton MO
Rivolta are the import versions of Novo guitars designed by Dennis Fano, formerly of Fano guitars, and check a lot of you boxes. This is their Mondata II model. 25" scale 12" radius, retails for about a 1K. They offer other models for less with different p/u's and scale lengths. Nice stuff.
View attachment 438151 View attachment 438152
Eastwood also makes a lot of guitars that check your boxes. Happy hunting!:thumb:
That’s one I need to check out too. Good shape and configuration. I like it.

Mr C

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 17, 2016
New Zealand
This is an option I’m considering, but the bridge p90 puts me off. I love them, but I need a humbucker. I don’t want destroy that nice of a guitar if possible. If I could LPDC with a humbucker at the bridge, it would be a contender.

there are plenty of aftermarket p90 sized humbucker and/or regular Gibson mini humbuckers.

Dimarzio do heaps of P90 sized humbuckers from paf type to super distortions etc
https://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/soap-bar