Join Strat-Talk Today

Suggestions on a Reverb Pedal

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by Silvercrow, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Silvercrow

Silvercrow Senior Stratmaster

Hey All!

In anticipation of having an amp head with no reverb, I am considering a reverb pedal. Not only for the head coming in tomorrow but the Positive Grid, too. (The PG has reverb emulations but you cannot change them one to another, on the fly).

I have a Wampler Faux Tape Echo that can do a pretty decent duty as a reverb type pedal, but I do often like to have a reverb and delay running together. Plus, I'm a sucker for a good spring style reverb.

Suggestions, please? The TC HOF 2 is on my short list, but I am NOT a guy who will make extensive use of the 'tone-prints'. Nothing wrong with them- just not something I would do.

I have no problem buying used and would like to keep the cost at no more than $130.00 or so. That will effectively take out the Strymon and other high end reverbs.

So besides the TC HOF, what other reverbbbb pedals do you like and why?

Digital or analog, but it has to sound 'warm' or 'natural sounding' if digital. What do YOU consider the best in this class?

Thanks for your help! I've never bought a reverb pedal before!

Brian

Stratbats and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The only reverb pedal I have is the Boss '63 Fender FRV-1. Sounds ok and fairly basic

slowesthand and Silvercrow like this.
  3. errikwong

errikwong Strat-Talker

Mosky spring reverb fits the bill. I own a Strymon Flint and that's got a great spring reverb too, but the Mosky somehow gets the sound I want a lot quicker.

Silvercrow likes this.
  4. valor19

valor19 Strat-O-Master

The best budget reverb I have used is the Deadbeat Sound Void. Think you can still find them for under $80.

Silvercrow likes this.
  5. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I have the HOF2. If you don't like the tone print you don't have to use it. There are lots of other settings that work really well. Although after having one, well two actually, for a few months I decided to try a few toneprints. Found a couple I really liked. And they are pretty easy to set up if that was what you were wondering about

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Dewey and Silvercrow like this.
  6. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

I have an older Boss RV3 digital reverb and an MXR M300 digital which lives up to the rave reviews. My amps don't know they are digital pedals and they still sound great. The MXR is around $200 though. The newer version of the boss I have, the RV6 is around $150 but it also has delay and is digital. Btw you can find the RV3's on Reverb for $100-ish used.

Silvercrow likes this.
  7. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

The MXR M300 is a great reverb that goes from spring to shimmer. It can be had from 130-150 on Reverb. I got mine new and it was about $200. The Fender Marine Layer is another great and often overlooked reverb. It's a little more than your budget new but it's super versatile and IMHO gets near Strymon territory with some of its more ambient sounds. I've seen them for as low as $120 on Reverb. Only reason I passed on it was the form factor is a little big for me.

Silvercrow likes this.
  8. lineboat

lineboat Senior Stratmaster

Keeley Omni. It’s great, and SIMPLE.

Jesse414, Silvercrow and guitarface like this.
  9. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

I have a TC arena. I think it's a hof just made for some store or another as a special run. Got it used for somewhere near $50-$60. You can get some nice sounds just with the knobs but I have found a couple toneprints that are nice too

Silvercrow likes this.
  10. Silvercrow

Thanks for the suggestions so far! Beginning to explore, watch and read reviews...

I had forgotten about the EH Neo (and other derivatives). Anyone own one of these? The Neo has some pretty impressive soundscapes...in as much as one can tell from YouTube videos...not the best barometer. Anyone weigh in on the Electro Harmonix Neo?

11. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

IME alot of reverb pedals kind of suck.

Four out of the numerous ones Ive played have fit the bill.

The Boss FEnder Deluxe REverb Pedal. Emulates the amp, vibrato and reverb. no way to bypass the amp sim but the reverb is well worth it.
    Tried the 63 spring Boss pedal but it really sucks and nothing like a real tank.

Topanga Reverb. This is really good but pricey.

Hall of Fame Reverb by TC, this does a great spring, hall and room verb, the only thing I care about.

EHX holy grail, simple one knob, does the job.

Out of the four I suggest either the Hall of Fame or EHX for a good budget and quality verb, if you got the money get the Topanga but it will be limited to just spring, in this case Hall of Fame is were its at, versatile, affordable, sounds great.

Dewey and Silvercrow like this.
  12. rolandson

rolandson Still Breathing Strat-Talk Supporter

A friend uses a $20 Danelectro and loves it. I've heard good things about Boss and DigiTech and a thing call Boing...

Personally, I was all fixated on the Strymon Big Sky, based solely on hype that I had heard in youtubes (created by strymon of course)...but $500 for a pedal is a bit of a stretch. Then the opportunity to actually try one presented itself.

It's a wonderful device to make space alien friendly noises...but mimic a for-real plate reverb...? My experience...Not so much.

Moral of the story:

if it involves more than what you are comfortable torching in your backyard...

Try before you buy.

Silvercrow likes this.
  13. pwhite

pwhite Strat-O-Master

I was never a pedal guy until a couple of years ago when I got a Valve JR head and then my Black Heart head and cab. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on pedals because I am not a gigging person, I just play at home. In the last year have bought about 10 Chinese pedals from Caline and I absolutely love some of them, one being the Snake Bite reverb. It's got a killer sound and is very quiet to be a cheap pedal. There are a couple of others like the Orange Crush that killer as well. Like I said I am not making money playing out so cheap does not bother me and if you are looking for bang for the buck it's hard to beat.

http://www.calinemusic.com/products/effectpedal/95.html

Silvercrow likes this.
  14. Believer7713

Believer7713 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Last edited: Jun 19, 2019
    Grux and Silvercrow like this.
  15. TangerineDog

TangerineDog Senior Stratmaster

Mad Professor Silver Spring Reverb.

Now I'm a sucker for their pedals anyway and there's certainly cheaper options out there, but it sounds great - meaning very natural.
    It's become an always-on pedal for me in an all-knobs-at-12 setting and I don't notice it much, only when it's off and my sustain is suddenly non-existent. Sometimes I turn it up for serious survey reverb sounds, it can do those as well, but if I was a big surf player, I'd get a Fender combo anyway ;)

Retail price for this is around 200$ I'm sorry to say, but at least on my side of the pond, they come up on eBay et al fairly often for less.

Silvercrow likes this.
  16. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't use many pedals but when I needed a simple reverb, I got a HOF mini

1 knob, 1 button, lots of tone prints to choose from

Silvercrow likes this.
  17. Silvercrow

THIS had me literally laughing out loud! "Torching in your backyard"....:p Oh, how many times I'd thought about doing that! Instead of just setting my MONEY on fire!

The Strymon and Eventide get a lot of good press and on certain YouTube reviews are treated as the holy grail of reverb pedals (sorry EHX). I am certainly NOT afraid to spend money (just ask my wife if you don't believe me!) but $400 / $600 for a pedal? No. Just no. And seriously, for that kind of money I could get a Fender '63 Reissue spring reverb head.

And I do not like the space alien/ outer limits noises either. When I was looking for delay pedals I marveled at how many otherwise good reviewers made the dang things go into self-oscillation, ad nauseum, to the point where it started to piss me off!

But I digress! THANKS for the early morning smile / laugh!

Brian

rolandson likes this.
  18. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

Source Audio True Spring. Plus you get a tremolo pedal also.

Silvercrow likes this.
  19. Grux

Grux Strat-O-Master

Yep I've heard several people say they love the Tri Reverb. I own the biyang Delay from the same series and its pretty fantastic for like $45 bucks!

Silvercrow and Believer7713 like this.
  20. Silvercrow

@Stratoskater THAT looks like a great pedal! I don't need the trem though, as I have a Monster Effects Swamp Thang and it is a fantastic sounding "early Fender" style trem. Deep, throbbing -starting to sound like a pron movie:eek: - trem with usable adjustments.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.