Suhr “S” type…

Bluestrat83

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 17, 2016
Ecuador
It’s a good point about the sound, and the “fender” sound. The one I tried, I tried unamplified, so I really have no idea what it sounded like….
Yeah, there’s a lot of subtleties that are imposible to recognize when an electric guitar is unplugged. Heck most of these subtleties are hard to recognize in a bedroom player scenario, these brandts have lots of features intended for a performing.
I had an American standard from 1996 maple board that sounded very good unplugged. Louder than other more expensive guitars, definitely louder than say an American vintage with rosewood fretboard or other rosewood strats and yet it was very hard to make that guitar come out in a mix when plugged… it required lots of tweaking! And yet my other guitars guitars seemed better balanced and controllable plugged. So while the “it has to sound right unplugged” rule can be a good sign is one of many factors in the sum of all parts at the end.
I don’t own a suhr but I have a close friend that is a guitar dealer so I try new guitars every week. Any brand you can name and he let me take some to shows to give ‘em a spin sometime. I’ve tried some suhrs and some are ok and some are awesome. The guitars have a noiseless sistem for single coil pickups that preserve the single coil quality, the necks are more comfortable to play and other features. The thing here is to be aware that this instruments are not going for the fender sound, they are just taking a familiar template and moving on.

Last edited:

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
It’s a good point about the sound, and the “fender” sound. The one I tried, I tried unamplified, so I really have no idea what it sounded like….
That's the thing I noticed in the Dave Simpson video, he had a Squier Bullet, he was able to amp the sound, technique the sound for several artist styles. At one point he was Stevie Ray Vaughn-like with it, playing a set of the 9-42's with a 109 Quid beginner guitar. And as he played it, his reaction was astonishment & amazement that the guitar needed virtually nothing other than a mint green pickguard. I thought he was fair about the tuning having in & out of tune moments that were barely noticeable. His words to the effect was the guitar needed little to no getting used to as unboxed. I have watched the follow up video and he swapped out the pickguard plastic to get he look. I think Simpson was fair about describing the feel. The newer Bullet are the satin neck finish like the Affinity, mine is a 2005 with the gloss poly.

I also get your point that you based your observations on an unplugged handling of the Suhr. And in that regard, you probably ran across the Suhr vs MiM that are virtual one for one finishes, 2 instruments that are probably identical wood species that even approximate each other for weight & that distribution for neck & body. I mean a guitar that neck dives is going to elicit a different mental perception of better or worse too. I know with the guitars I have they are similar enough, yet different enough to discern & I also have an in the moment preference of one to the other. I'd have to not be blindfolded & know which was which though. And when I pick up a Fender MiM at the music store, it feels different than the Bullet & Affinity more so because of the thinner profile from a full thickness. Neither feel bad though, just different. And that's even the case I have with my own guitars. The body of the Squier & Epiphone are same thickness as thinner profile. The Teles are full thickness bodies. And that's another thing, a Strat vs LP vs Tele body for contours & shapes are big differences for feel. My LP vs Teles, single cuts the LP is a more refined body for dimensions. The necks are quite similar for shape, maybe I got lucky in the virtually identical profiles.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Because you completely mis-read my op. “I don’t want to bag on Suhr,” is what I wrote, because I don’t, and haven’t. I’m asking an honest question and I’ve gotten honest responses. And your “stating the whole point” to my thread, and my opinion that “Suhr guitars are trash.”?? Where did you get that?? This is nothing more than your cranky interpretation, and 100% not my intent. To reiterate: 1) I played a used Suhr (unamplified). 2) it played no better than my MIM strat or my 50s Vintera (due to poor set up? Don’t know). 3) what am I missing? That’s pretty much it. And thanks to everyone else for enlightening me with constructive responses.

Man I’d apologize in a second if you were actually serious and wanted people to chime in that owned a Suhr. People did reply with input saying they are great guitars, people that owned them saying they’d buy again. You didn’t reply to those people. You wanted another member to elaborate what he said, followed by no better then your garden variety MIM strat. If you really wanted actual answers quote the people that own them, ask them.

Either way your first 3 replies says it all about this thread. It’s just another inexpensive vs expensive thread. Which is better, the one you own of course

Arrested Dev

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Jan 18, 2022
Austin, TX
Because you completely mis-read my op. “I don’t want to bag on Suhr,” is what I wrote, because I don’t, and haven’t. I’m asking an honest question and I’ve gotten honest responses. And your “stating the whole point” to my thread, and my opinion that “Suhr guitars are trash.”?? Where did you get that?? This is nothing more than your cranky interpretation, and 100% not my intent. To reiterate: 1) I played a used Suhr (unamplified). 2) it played no better than my MIM strat or my 50s Vintera (due to poor set up? Don’t know). 3) what am I missing? That’s pretty much it. And thanks to everyone else for enlightening me with constructive responses.
To the original post and this follow-up... All your experience (with one single Suhr guitar) means is that you didn't seem to get along or be impressed with one/individual guitar. And THAT is totally fine and not surprising and ultimately not conclusive about anything other than you didn't like that particular guitar. Happens every day of the week, around the world, and in relation to all brands and price levels.

Suhr makes guitars, and some people like them (some don't); some can afford them (some can't); some decide to buy them (some decide not to buy them, even if they can afford them).
(Fill in the blank Brand) makes guitars, and some people like them (some don't); some can afford them (some can't); some decide to buy them (some decide not too, even if they can afford them).

I think the Original Post could lead to a good discussion if we share our thoughts and experiences with Suhr (in this case). Then, we all get to individually decide what we like/want/prefer and ultimately buy.

Enjoy the guitars YOU enjoy.

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
To the original post and this follow-up... All your experience (with one single Suhr guitar) means is that you didn't seem to get along or be impressed with one/individual guitar. And THAT is totally fine and not surprising and ultimately not conclusive about anything other than you didn't like that particular guitar. Happens every day of the week, around the world, and in relation to all brands and price levels.

Suhr makes guitars, and some people like them (some don't); some can afford them (some can't); some decide to buy them (some decide not to buy them, even if they can afford them).
(Fill in the blank Brand) makes guitars, and some people like them (some don't); some can afford them (some can't); some decide to buy them (some decide not too, even if they can afford them).

I think the Original Post could lead to a good discussion if we share our thoughts and experiences with Suhr (in this case). Then, we all get to individually decide what we like/want/prefer and ultimately buy.

Enjoy the guitars YOU enjoy.
Word.

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
Man I’d apologize in a second if you were actually serious and wanted people to chime in that owned a Suhr. People did reply with input saying they are great guitars, people that owned them saying they’d buy again. You didn’t reply to those people. You wanted another member to elaborate what he said, followed by no better then your garden variety MIM strat. If you really wanted actual answers quote the people that own them, ask them.

Either way your first 3 replies says it all about this thread. It’s just another inexpensive vs expensive thread. Which is better, the one you own of course
“If I were actually serious…”. Lol. As with all your replies, intune, you say VOLUMES more about you and your consciousness than anything anyone has written here…

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
I also get your point that you based your observations on an unplugged handling of the Suhr. And in that regard, you probably ran across the Suhr vs MiM that are virtual one for one finishes, 2 instruments that are probably identical wood species that even approximate each other for weight & that distribution for neck & body.
Absolutely; I was basing the entire experience on the feel of the thing. And once again, I’ll reiterate, I’m sure it needed a set up; there were all kinds of string and fret buzzing going on that one wouldn’t expect from an instrument with such a good rep.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
“If I were actually serious…”. Lol. As with all your replies, intune, you say VOLUMES more about you and your consciousness than anything anyone has written here…

I don’t know man, no matter how clever you think you are this is no different then any other “my sh$t is better, please I need people to agree with me thread”.

Then at your age if it’s correct, you think you’d know before picking up any guitar at any price point that it probably needs a good set up. Then you also make your mind up about a guitar without even plugging it in. I speak volumes do I, when you just showed me how much experience you have with guitars.

Docpage

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2021
New York
I don’t know man, no matter how clever you think you are this is no different then any other “my sh$t is better, please I need people to agree with me thread”.

Then at your age if it’s correct, you think you’d know before picking up any guitar at any price point that it probably needs a good set up. Then you also make your mind up about a guitar without even plugging it in. I speak volumes do I, when you just showed me how much experience you have with guitars.
As I said above, what you’re reading into all my posts speak VOLUMES of you…(and pretty much nothing else.). And once again, I greatly appreciate the others who have offered constructive views.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
I don’t get the whole bragging rights thing! Who are these people supposedly bragging to? People they don’t actually know on an internet forum.

I don’t get it either? Most of us on here are way past the high school days(most) and I can count my friends on one hand. My wife, my twin brother, my cat and a dude named Nathan. My gear doesn’t leave my basement and none of my “friends” care what guitars I own.

So yeah bragging rights to who when I’m 42 and probably one of the younger members on here.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Yes but its hey I got this great guitar and its affordable so you can have one too.
Guys are gonna show off. Its the comments later that show some folks hoighty toighty nature. There are a few members who give off that im better vibe. Or mines better.

My whole thing is value. I just dont see the value in a 3 or 4k guitar.
Just cause you have the money to overspend doesnt make your stuff better.
Prettier maybe but not better at its basic job.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Yes but its hey I got this great guitar and its affordable so you can have one too.
Guys are gonna show off. Its the comments later that show some folks hoighty toighty nature. There are a few members who give off that im better vibe. Or mines better.

My whole thing is value. I just dont see the value in a 3 or 4k guitar.
Just cause you have the money to overspend doesnt make your stuff better.
Prettier maybe but not better at its basic job.

Yes and I’m willing to bet you think I’m one of those members. That’s fine. This whole yours is better then mine 100% starts with these threads, always. I think you’ll find it extremely hard to find a thread where someone like me is telling someone that’s not up as high on the food chain their stuff is trash. No one with a Suhr is telling anyone with a MIM strat that there’s blows it away. It’s always the other way around.

Every NGD and it’s a custom shop thread rarely does anyone say anything pissy. It’s always the reverse cork sniffer comparison with inexpensive vs expensive. Please guys tell me I’m right, prove me wrong type, can I get people to like me and my comments. Always the same members and there’s lots of them on here.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Yes and I’m willing to bet you think I’m one of those members. That’s fine. This whole yours is better then mine 100% starts with these threads, always. I think you’ll find it extremely hard to find a thread where someone like me is telling someone that’s not up as high on the food chain their stuff is trash. No one with a Suhr is telling anyone with a MIM strat that there’s blows it away. It’s always the other way around.

Every NGD and it’s a custom shop thread rarely does anyone say anything pissy. It’s always the reverse cork sniffer comparison with inexpensive vs expensive. Please guys tell me I’m right, prove me wrong type, can I get people to like me and my comments. Always the same members and there’s lots of them on here.
Do you really need confirmation that badly? Me thinks you have self esteem problem.
If you notice its you that is the common denominater in that its you and some other member gettin into it. It was me for a while and now its other members.
I do not care what you spend your money on. Its my OPINIION that expensive guitars are a waste of money. I think some people bought the wrong car too. Does it make me right? Hell no.
Do you and be happy. Stop gettinn so bunged up about other folks opinions.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
Lol, I have many problems but self esteem ain’t one. Anyway you’re right I’m the common denominator here. It’s always these types of there’s that get to me. I should work on that and just let people feel good about their views or opinions on the matter. I know when I look at my gear I feel that I wasted my money. That’s why I always have to tell people how much better it is, at least 2 or 3 times a day but in different thread titles to make not so obvious. It may really be a self esteem issue. Thank you for that feedback though.

RPKennedy

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Apr 27, 2013
Oconomowoc, WI
I once spent a ton of money on this:
07E8B9A6-C006-4A2B-8B9C-2972686AE751.jpeg BEF0A424-3967-48AB-864D-E470E8ABC24D.jpeg
The fit and finish were extraordinary, it felt incredibly good (especially the neck - wow,) played exceptionally well, certainly was lovely to look at, but in the end it didn't grab me, given how expensive it was. I sold it shortly thereafter, for what I paid for it.

There was a comment above about being "married to the Fender sound," and I think that might include me. The Suhr just didn't sound like a Strat, and was just too modern for my tastes.

I enjoy my EJ Strat considerably more. Opinions vary.