Super Champ x2 speaker recommendations

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by hrstrat57, Nov 22, 2021.

1. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

What speakers have you tried in your SC combo?

Describe if you can!

Thanks!!

2. Handsome McClane

Handsome McClane Senior Stratmaster

I've got an Eminence Legend 1058 in my SCXD. The Legend is full range with some more headroom, punch, and clarity compared to the stock speaker.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I have an XD. Ive used a

ragin cagin10": Full sounding nice top end but more mids than typical fender sound

Cannabis Rex: my current favorite speaker. Full, warm, nice highs but never spikey.

Texas Heat: I have one that I recently started using in my music room. Sounds fine. Haven't really made any conclusions about it.

Have not A/B the TH with CRex yet.

fattboyzz and hrstrat57 like this.
  4. Dr Cornelius

Dr Cornelius Strat-Talk Member

I put a Ragin Cajun in mine and it definitely added some warmth and punch over the stock one.

hrstrat57 likes this.
  5. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Senior Stratmaster

I have a Jensen Alnico and it sound just like a real Fender now.

Stratafied and hrstrat57 like this.
  6. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

More ideas?

webers? Others? Had a Weber Blue Pup in one of my Rivera 80’s Super Champs….

7. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

Thx! Which model?

8. surfnturf

surfnturf Strat-Talker

Have a Weber sig in my XD. Added some punch, clarity and volume.

9. archetype

archetype Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

@hrstrat57 how are you using the amp? Home, gig, jam with friends? Need the amp louder? Need to crank the amp higher for the same loudness?

EDIT: Goofy me meant Ragin Cajun, here. Eminence RC is popular. It's high-efficiency so your amp will be louder. That also means that for typical home volume you won't be driving the output stage as hard as before, which may affect your tone. It's mid-forward and IMO excels as a rock speaker. Doesn't have the Fendery snap and sparkle on top.

The Eminence Legend 1058 is exactly as @Handsome McClane says.

I've had a Weber Signature 10AS in my SCX2 for at least 6 years. Alnico, ribbed cone, and low efficiency that allows me to crank the amp. Defined and Fendery up to about half volume and gets fatter and compressed above that. Kind of a tweedy breakup when dimed.

Whatever you decide to try, be sure you measure the amp and know the speaker dimensions. Not all speakers will fit. Some speakers, like my Weber, fit only with the bell cover removed. In any case you'll likely need to remove the tube cage if you're using an alnico mag vs. a ceramic.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2021
    surfnturf and hrstrat57 like this.
  10. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

thanks for taking the time to write all that. I’ll mostly gig it tho I can use a SM57 to mic it so not sure increasing volume from internal speaker is needed. Primarily looking to get rid of the occasional flubby bass tho as I’ve dialed it in thru experimenting I’ve been able to eliminate a lot of that. I’ve settled on voices 4,6,7 and 12 as my favorites for now. I swapped out the GT 12ax7 for a JJ which also (seemed) to help a bit.

Have a cab with a vintage Jensen SD 12” speaker that I’ve had in many amps going back to the 70’s and the SCx2 sounds amazing run thru that.

If I can get the internal 10” to sound close I guess that would be ideal.

Keep the ideas coming and links to relevant historical forum threads are also appreciated!

11. archetype

If you're getting flubby bass, it's probably "the Princeton thing," as the circuit after the SS preamp/DSP is 99% Princeton. C5 and C6 are both 0.1 MFD capacitors and couple too much bass from the phase inverter stage to the output stage. In my small experience with Princetons, bass isn't linear with volume. As you turn the volume up,the bass needs to be turned down, especially at gig volume. Lots of people are giggling Princetons with the bass at 2, 1, or even 0.

If you're a DIYer and understand how to stay safe working on amps with high voltage, Replacing C5 and C6 with 0.047 MFD capacitors may be a $1.00 solution to your problem. Likely you still need a better speaker than the stock one, but a better speaker isn't guaranteed to counteract the circuit design issue.

Voice 4 Bassman is really nice. Perhaps my favorite on Channel 2. Voice 6 is just Channel 1 with a gain control and Voice 7 is the same with a simple compressor. Neither one is doing you any favors if you're trying to reduce flub. Voice 12 is a blaster. For giggling try Channel 1, cranked, as that's the closest to natural Princeton tone. Out in the house it may sound better in the mix than 6 or 7.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
    hrstrat57 likes this.
  12. hrstrat57

hrstrat57 Strat-Talker

Thanks again for the tips. Already experienced a lot of what you describe. I rolled the bass down to 2 and it’s nearly gone (the flubby) and amp sounds spectacular through the old Jensen SD!

This thing punches way above its weight class. World class tone. Can’t believe I scored it for $180!

fattboyzz and archetype like this.
  13. archetype

Cool! They're fine amps.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  14. fattboyzz

fattboyzz Senior Stratmaster

Gr8 amps.

Rajun Cajun ftw ;)