Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups ad space available Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Warmoth.com ad space available darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups Reilander Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Surf Green 50's Classic.....AWESOME!!

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by thaus, Apr 26, 2008.

1. thaus

thaus Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Greetings from London Canada! Last week I happened upon a for sale add from a fellow TDPRI member (laneline2) who was selling a 50's classic (heavily modded). Since I seem to be collecting anything strat-like and with these 50's type colours lately, I could not pass this up. Also, corresponding with Rick made me realize that here was a guitar player who treasured his instruments. Pretty easy to buy from someone like that........well, here's his former guitar and my newest one! And it is smokin' I must say! It is stratocaster #8 and it fits in with all my others. Rick went wild with the modding on this one:

-Callaham bridge assembly. Man, looking at the bridge and comparing with the stock Fender makes you realize how good the Callaham stuff is......
    -Callaham pickguard with shielding....very very quiet!!
    -Kluson locking tuners. This is the 2nd strat I have with those and they are really really nice.
    -Lindy Fralin Vintage Hot pups. I have another Strat with Fralins installed so I know these are the best and the tone is incredible. These pups sing and with the blender wiring, it is a sweet sounding guitar.
    -Soft-V neck profile. Really comfortable. This is the first V I have tried and I can see why so many people like them. The vintage radius I am already used to and I actually like it a lot. Fits my hand perfectly.

Anyhow, here are the pics. The surf green is hard to capture accurately but I dabble in photography and I used a grey-card to get accurate colour representation. This is really what it looks like.........

Thanks again to Rick for the wonderful guitar. It fits right into my collection! Now I just need a shell pink strat.......(got the hot pink one which is also a great instrument thanks to Rob DiStefano!)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 5, 2008

2. Strat-Talk

Strat-Talk Administrator Staff Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Hill Country, Texas, USA
    Admin Post
    Very cool looking Strat. Way to go. It's your 8th Strat? Man you got it bad don't you.

3. thaus

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Yeah! 1 year ago I was a happy and content owner of 1 MIJ Fender Stratocaster.......(I think you may remember trying to help me ID it!). Now I have 8 and another partscaster is coming via a trade next week! Is there no end to this? But I think the 'hunt' is always more gratifying than actually having the guitar! But I do enjoy them all and play them all. None are stored for future investment.......then again, none are investment quality!! This one is really really nice (then again, I think that about all the strats!). But Rick (former owner) really went to town with the mods and it plays fantastic. I now know why everyone espouses the Callaham bridge; it really does make the guitar resonate.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Strat-Talk

Apr 20, 2006
    Hill Country, Texas, USA
    Admin Post
    I used to be that way. Then I got my "hearts desire" Strat. The one I was really wanting but substituting all the others for. That cured me. I still get pangs of desire, but it's like when you marry the right woman. You may look at the others but there just isn't any real interest there.

6. thaus

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Nice analogy but maybe that is why I have been married 8 times.............(just kidding!!). I could probably sell a few again and use the proceeds to order that 1 special one but I do love the colours and the stratocaster shape has always been the best to my eye for guitars. I love them all!!

7. imwjl

imwjl Strat-Talker

Apr 24, 2008
    Wisconsin, USA
    Very nice which leads to the colors and talk here of desires. I was eying the retro colors and then fell for the Strat I have. I guess with time split between my 00 and dread Martins, Tele and Strat I'm a guitar polygamist, but I like them so much that I find it hard to get another of same type. I guess I sold my PRS and I guess this means any desire for surf colors will have to be in a shorter scale humbucker guitar!

Maybe I'd be there with you with a bunch of the same model if I didn't have 3 little kids, my business, and other interests always dividing the time.

I appreciate your attention to color accuracy with photos.

8. Strat God

Strat God Strat-Talk Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Connecticut, USA
    Great guitar -great color.
    Now you need Shell Pink and Daphne Blue to round out the pastel group.:twisted:

9. thaus

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Shell pink is coming soon and Daphne I sold last week because I had a MIJ Sonic blue which looked almost the same...........I also have a Shell pink telecaster coming soon but that is for a different forum! I too have thought about why all of the same guitar but I just dig the shape of Stratocaster purely from an aesthetic point of view. Love playing them all and luckily they all have differing tones because of the pups and play somewhat differently because of the neck profiles and radius.

10. Del Pickup

Del Pickup Strat-Talk Member

May 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    Can you post some pics of the daphne and sonic blue strats?

I've got a fancy for the sonic blue but don't seem to be able to see many strats in that color. I used to like Lake Placid Blue but have gone off that recently in favour of the more pastel shades.

I could be seriously tempted to refinish my CAR strat in sonic blue if I could find the right paint - and time and skill to do it!!!!

11. thaus

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Here's a 1997 American Std Daphne Blue and a MIJ 62 Reissue Sonic Blue side by side. You can see a slight difference in the two colours. The Sonic Blue has some yellow in it making it almost a turquoise-like look; the Daphne Blue is more sky-blue like. I preferred the MIJ one so the other was sold! Both really nice guitars though..........

[​IMG]

12. Orlando Mike

Orlando Mike Senior Stratmaster

Nov 5, 2007
    orlando florida
    im with you the mij is cooler looking, but the am std looks awesome too

13. Strat-Talk

Apr 20, 2006
    Hill Country, Texas, USA
    Admin Post
    I don't much care for mint guards. Maybe it's just me, but that MIJ with a white guard and the same knobs and p'up covers would be great (or maybe the white guard should be aged to look like th knobs/covers, too). Just not mint.

14. thaus

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    I think the mint guards are so popular because they have that vintage vibe. I like them on some guitars but I also like the parchment look. I definitely liked the tone from the MIJ better (it has 57/62 pups). I also prefer a darker rosewood which the MIJ had and the Kluson tuners are also my preference. The American STd was a good guitar and I was able to sell it for a bit more than normal because of the colour.

15. Del Pickup

May 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    That's great to see the 2 colours side by side in the same light - very helpful. Thanks for that.

I do think the sonic blue is my favourite at this stage and I think the mint guard looks good with it as well.

I've already got the aged knobs and pup covers and the original guard that came with my CAR is now nicely aged of its own accord so all I'd need is the time, patience, skill and some paint to do the job!

16. Orlando Mike

Orlando Mike Senior Stratmaster

Nov 5, 2007
    orlando florida
    Here's my homebuild daphnie, it's a Highway 1 body w/ Warmoth neck....the nitro looks a lot different than the Am std...I really like yours [​IMG]

And then I screwed it up...mr. relicman I am not

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Del Pickup

May 2, 2008
    New Zealand
    I think what you need to do with the exposed timber is to 'age' it to make it look a bit more realistic.

Put some 0000 grade steel wool in a jar with some white vinegar and leave overnight. Some of the steel wool will dissolve by that time but it's the fluid that you'll be using anyway.

Give the exposed timber areas that you want to treat a very light sand to give the fluid a good surface to adhere to.

Now make a STRONG cup of tea and leave to cool. Then brush the tea onto the exposed timber areas that you want to age and leave to dry. Then brush on the vinegar/steel wool fluid.

The tannin in the tea will react with the vinegar/steel mix and you should see the timber going a grey colour almost immediately. Leave to dry and then, if the grey shade is too dark for your liking, sand it with some steel wool (not the stuff in the vinegar) or very fine (400 grit or higher) sandpaper which should lighten it up in colour.

The end result is a more natural look to the exposed timber - as if it's been like that for years and been aged by the UV light and sweat.

If you want to seal the timber you can apply a light coating of danish or teak oil and then buff it up with some more steel wool.

I've done it on 2 of my guitars and it gives a really nice finish and feel to the timber. It's particularly good on the back of a maple neck where it makes it look like it's been played for 30 years and also gives a really nice smooth non sticky finish - very like the heavy relic necks from Fender.

If you're doing the back of the neck, before you start sanding off the existing finish, play the guitar and look carefully at where your hand and fingers fall on all parts of the neck and then remove the finish only from these parts. That way it looks more like the wear has come from actual playing rather than been done overnight in the workshop!

18. Bonneville Bruce

Bonneville Bruce New Member!

May 14, 2006
    Fender Classic '50s Stratocaster, Surf Green

Hey Thaus,

Good catch on the Surf Green Strat. You beat me to it on the TDPRI list, or I'd for sure bought it. Nevertheless, I have the four Surfer Girl sisters below to console my loss.

I just got this one, 'cause its twin sister, below was lonely.

[​IMG]

Fender Classic '50s Stratocaster, Surf Green [MIM 1999] with Graph tech nut, Dimarzio pick ups: DP189 in the Bridge, DP 188 Mid, DP 181 Neck. This one came from Harry's Music Shop in Milford, New Hampshire, it is is a great player. It is also played in very well, it show nine years of wear, but it is still in good shape, and has monster tone that is very SC Strat-like as well. The set-up is first rate.

[​IMG]

Fender Classic '50s Stratocaster, Surf Green [MIM 1999] with Fender Vintage Noiseless pups (soon to be a set of single coils such as the Fencder '57/'62s), Gotah locking vintage tuners. This is my Number One, but is fighting off the '69 Telecaster Thinline Reissue for that spot.
    This was my first guitar, and it will go in the box with me when I pass over.

I also have the '69 and '72 Reissue Telecaster Thinlines, each in the special run Surf Green from 2002. They are beautiful and excellent players.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My reasoning for all this Fender Classic Series splendor is that each of the four "Surfer Girl" instruments has a very different range tones that have their niche in recording and performance. I favor the cleaner classic tones for which the early Fenders were known, as these are the sounds of rock 'n' roll I grew up with and those sounds are still in my head when I plug in one of these four Surf Green sweethearts.

Good luck with that beauty,

Bonneville Bruce

Last edited: May 16, 2008

19. thaus

Jul 6, 2007
    London Canada
    Nice guitars Bruce (looks like you didn't need another Surf Green!!). The guy who modded the one I have did a first rate job and the set-up is as good as my Custom shop telecaster; great neck, low action, intonation spot on. I really love Lindy Fralin pups. I have never been a huge fan of thin-line Fenders but yours looks great and must sound awesome with those humbuckers! Thanks for sharing the pics and the specs!

20. Ryan

Ryan Strat-Talk Member

May 19, 2008
    NB,Canada
    Nice fiddles, gents.

I gotta say I really like the pastels, almost as much as I like natural finishes.

Someday, if my wife lets me, I'd like to get a little collection going!

21. StratDen

StratDen Senior Stratmaster

May 23, 2008
    NY
    Great looking guitars, guys! I recently picked up a Surf Green 50's Classic too. These are awesome guitars, and value wise a real steal!

The Daphne color looks real nice too!