Join Strat-Talk Today

Surprised by sound test

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by axejock, Aug 6, 2019.

1. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

I'm sure Becky would appreciate that sentiment, but Becky was Bill's Wife..

and anytime you have questions about pickups and their adaptability to your guitar or style of music you should contact the pickup makers... They, through years of experience, know what to ask to determine how to help you best... all we can do is guess based on our experience.. and our experience is ALWAYS tasted by our preferences, and our style of playing..

I've built several thousand guitars over the years.. and that doesn't even get me close to sampling all the pickups and/or combinations available... I know what I like... and that's pretty much it... there is no real way to describe tone, or the tone you prefer .... so I urge ya to go to those that experienced in "translating" the many ways guys talk about the sound, into something useable.

r

Stratoskater, axejock and Zeekrider like this.
  2. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Hahaha! That’s what I meant. (And Becky would appreciate that sentiment!). Shannon is their daughter. :D

I've corrected my post.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
    axejock likes this.
  3. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster

Wow! I'm definitely not keeping up. Are Seymore Duncan "originals" (like the Rails) still available or have they changed the name? I do love the idea of family members continuing and enhancing a brand's line. I don't know when any changes occurred, but certainly extend a warm welcome to Becky and Shannon! I have a LOT of SD pickups and love them all!

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Just so there is no confusion, Becky and Shannon are Bill Lawrence’s wife and daughter, they’re not related to Seymour Duncan.

axejock likes this.
  5. axejock

Boy, I guess I am confused (which is a normal condition for those my age), But I guess I need to look up the origination and proliferation of the Seymore Duncan brand, who were the originators and who are the current the folks that are carrying the flag forward!

6. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

As for Seymour Duncan rails, in perusing their offerings, I believe their single-coil sized twin-blade pickups are on the "hot" side. Certainly the ones I tried were... and I sent them back, as I wanted clear, articulate, clean pickup tones from them.

I believe the Bill Lawrence L45S offerings are very clean, clear, and articulate.

https://www.wildepickups.com/products/l45s

axejock likes this.
  7. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

Here you go.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seymour_Duncan

Seymour Duncan is still alive and running the company. I believe Bill Lawrence worked for/with Duncan in the early days before starting his own company. Bill’s company is not related or affiliated with Seymour Duncan.

axejock likes this.
  8. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

I have some Dimarzio cruisers in my strat and they are brillo pads.
    [​IMG]

axejock likes this.
  9. Seymour Duncan

Seymour Duncan Senior Stratmaster

Seymour is indeed alive and winds special sets, but the day to day has passed on to other members of his family.

axejock and Stratoskater like this.
  10. Seymour Duncan

Certainly the Cool Rails, Vintage Rails, and Duckbuckers are nowhere near hot. The Hot Rails, however, certainly is.

axejock likes this.
  11. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Thanks for chiming in Dave! I had the SEYMOUR DUNCAN HOT RAILS FOR TELECASTER HUMBUCKER PICKUP SET STHR-1N STHR-1B, which I could not live with.

Which of your Strat-sized (and Tele-sized) twin-blade pickups are the cleanest, clearest, most articulate? I'm looking for twinkle and sparkle, not growl and grind.

axejock likes this.
  12. axejock

Thank you guys for that info! Very interesting on SD and who does what within the company! I think I would agree that having 3 "hot rails" on a Strat would be a bit too much. But with my setup (hot rails at bridge, vintage rails center, and cool rails at neck) it all really blends together nicely. The bridge pup is indeed hot, but the other two are less so and the neck pup can get "muddy" if you play with the tone controls on the amp and guitar. I think they are kind of the ultimate set! I also have an FMT Tele with an SD Pearly Gates at the bridge and another SD but not so hot at the neck. That Pearly gates is really hot also. I must have 5 guitars with nothing but SD pups installed and I can't say anything bad about them. What's really strange to me is that some of my Fender Player pups come very close to SD performance. To me they do give clear, clean, and articulate tones.

13. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

I'm not sure what you mean by "brillo pads".

I could guess... harsh & coarse? Rough and brusk?

axejock likes this.
  14. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Most Honored Senior Member

Much like having 800 hp 18 inches behind your butt in your Ferrari would be a bit much.. IF ya don't know how to drive...:p

it's all in the skill of the one at the wheel...

rk

dbolt, Stratoskater and axejock like this.
  15. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Which give the clearest, cleanest, most articulate tones for you?

(I'm not into the "hot" growl, bark, gruff kind of tone.)

axejock likes this.
  16. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

Haha. Oh sorry. Must just be a UK phrase! It's a bit of slang for something being great. Brilliant = brill = brillo pads. :)

Andy Timmons uses them, so just look for videos of him if you want to hear how they can sound.

axejock likes this.
  17. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

Oh! Thanks for explaining the term!

I am a fan of Dimarzio pickups! Their Area and Area-T pickups are fantastic and very widely used..

Looks like the Cruisers are the "clean, clear, articulate" models in their line up. Probably just what I would like.

axejock likes this.
  18. Jack Frost

Jack Frost Strat-Talker

Yeah I think they sound really great when clean. I can't tell the difference between them and single coils, apart from the lack of hum. They're... well... brillo pads!

19. Zeekrider

Zeekrider Strat-Talker

I've been enjoying some Andy Timmons on YouTube with those Cruisers... thank you.

20. Seymour Duncan

Yeah, unless you play metal with tons of distortion, the Hot Rails would have been absolutely the wrong choice.
    Cool Rails will give you a absolute clean, chimey humbucker sound. Either Duckbuckers or Vintage Rails will give you a clean, chimey single coil sound.

Zeekrider likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.