Surviving as a musician

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Chuck8436, Oct 24, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

I have friends who made a good living out of playing music by joining the navy band. There were opportunities for all instrument players. Included a good salary and subsidised housing etc. I'd have done it if I was a young single man.

Or marry an accomplished successful woman. Then you can do whatever you like every day and call it a living

Miotch and Chuck8436 like this.
  2. Stormy Monday

Stormy Monday Blooze daddy Silver Member

Our little geezer jam band had a bass player that did this with the Air Force. He was much better than the rest of us

Chuck8436 likes this.
  3. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

Anthropology and Philosophy, not easy degrees to find employment with other than teaching........Very similar to the musician thing.

Had an old guy tell me once, don’t do what you love for work, it will turn into work. He said keep your love as a hobby. I don’t necessarily agree but that is how my life worked out.....Ya I’m old and retired.

I always enjoyed my career but I always loved my hobbies, those were and are my passion. Music is one.

Coached for about 25 yrs in my spare time, up through high school level and dealt with the occasional player dreaming about being a pro. My advice was always, have a back up plan....A good back up plan.

Just an old Grandpa rambling

Opj77, Neil.C, sam_in_cali and 2 others like this.
  4. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-O-Master

Your input is appreciated. My plan b pretty much is teaching for now. I might go to law school. If I can get in anywhere. But it would just be for the money.

5. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-Talker

My plan B eventually got me to plan A.

I love working on amps and gear, but that wasn't a viable career path. My plan B was to get an engineering degree. Worked in consumer electronics and aerospace for about 20 years and then ended up with an audio company. Better late than never.

Bowmap, Stormy Monday and Chuck8436 like this.
  6. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Buried alive in the blues Gold Supporting Member

I should have mentioned earlier, the guys I knew who made a living playing and teaching were monster players, who could read a chart like it was a newspaper and hang in any style.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  7. dbolt

dbolt Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

8. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I do think that people that grasp the way things work now can manage to get enough stuff going on to make a living but a lot of it depends on computer savvy and marketing.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Used to be a bumper sticker. "Real artists have day jobs.." Never more true than now. With covid limiting performances it's hard to grind out a living doing gigs.

Sweetwater is hiring. That might end up being a job you don't hate. Cool toys......

Miotch and Chuck8436 like this.
  10. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-O-Master

That might be nice

11. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

Does sweetwater provide dental insurance?

12. Baelzebub

I have no idea....

13. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

With a law degree you can make good money working less than most if you can avoid the chasing $ trap. A dear friend did just that, worked enough for a nice living with enough time left over to travel with me on our motorcycles all over the western states.

You sound young and intelligent and you must work hard having two degrees. That is a great combination of attributes that will let you do about anything you want to in life.

good luck

Chuck8436 likes this.
  14. Chuck8436

Chuck8436 Strat-O-Master

Thank you. Thats the plan if I'm able to go to law school. I wanted to have enough freedom to do what I like and not have to worry

15. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

you have to follow your dreams... why else do we have them? they're not to torment us... do your thing and do it well. and as the awesome fiction writer Stephen Dixon said to me when i asked his advice, "keep commerce out of the typewriter."

seriously. this is the only life you can be relatively certain that you have.

velvet_man and Chuck8436 like this.
  16. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

You c
    ones chance of making a militar band are about 10,000:1.

17. Baelzebub

Probably got a nice employee discount on gear too... They are kind of a cult, those "sales engineers" always talking in terms of your "musical journey" and such..... Still if ya gotta have a job, as jobs go that one would suck less than a lot of others.

The law school thing is good. You can combine a law degree with just about any other and be more valuable in it. Once caution, if you want to do it just to make a good enough living to have free time for other things, is don't go into debt for the degree.

Chasing a name school degree is a ticket to slavery...noticing depositions for 80 hours a week in a windowlessoffice and not seeing the inside of a courtroom just to pay off loans. It's a trap. Pay as you go. And what school doesn't matter as long as it's accredited and you can take the bar. Once you have the license, you're the same as any other lawyer, except to the legal snobs and cork sniffers.

Chuck8436 likes this.
  18. Baelzebub

or if your dad it Billy Ray Cyrus

Chuck8436 likes this.
  19. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Silver Member

I guess in the USA....

20. ThebiggestJerk

ThebiggestJerk Strat-O-Master

Is yours?