Join Strat-Talk Today

Swap an American Deluxe neck for a ......Squier Classic Vibe?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Lonn, Mar 26, 2020.

1. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Yes, I'm considering it. Love the Am Del neck, can't find anything about it I don't like. That said, I picked up an absolutely mint 1 month old Classic Vibe 70s Strat and I'm pretty enamored with the neck on it as well. Been playing the 2 side by side and the feel is very similar. Also, I see Am Del necks selling for over $400 on ebay. I can buy a nice used Tele with that. I've never been a name snob either so that's not an issue. The wheels are always spinning.....

apm1991 and Mike Furlong like this.
  2. Mike Furlong

Mike Furlong Strat-O-Master

I've had quite a few CVs across my bench in recent years both Strats and Teles and haven't yet found one that didn't play and feel nice. Damn good value for money:thumb:

3. myredstrat

myredstrat Strat-Talker

bad idea swapping necks and selling the Am Del one.
    your strat then becomes a partscaster and is worth a fraction of what it should be should you want to sell it in the future.
    if you must swap necks, keep the original for the future

4. tdcdias

tdcdias Strat-Talk Member

This. I totally understand swapping the neck for one that you like more - no prejudice at all, these days what is good is good regardless of where it is made and how much does it cost. But selling the original neck, especially if you don't need the cash immediately, is decreasing the value of your guitar for nothing. I know people shouldn't care, as long as the instrument plays, looks and sounds nice - but they do. Please keep the original neck in case you want to sell the guitar.

Sent from my SM-G9550 using Tapatalk

5. Lonn

Admin Post
    It's already a partscaster. Warmoth body, Lace Gold pickups and a Gotoh bridge.

6. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

doesn't the Deluxe neck have a countoured heel body? That would require drilling at least one new hole in the neck heel if so....which for me would be a dealbreaker....and I'm not sure if the contoured heel and neck plate would leave one of the old 4 'normal' neck plate / mounting holes exposed and showing in the back near the body join.....

7. chicago slim

chicago slim Strat-O-Master

Funny that you should post this. I have American, Mexican, Classic Vibes and a Partscaster. Although I shopped for a couple of years, before buying the American Strat's, I play the other guitars more, due to the necks. My favorite are the Mexican necks, followed by the Classic Vibe 50's. I have been thinking of buying an extra Player neck, and swapping one of the American necks. The body, tremolo and electronics, are better on the American models. They would see more use, with a different neck. But, I've got so many Strat's, that I don't really need it.

8. Lonn

Admin Post
    Hmm. Definitely would have to drill a hew hole in the neck but I'm not sure the old hole would show. Have to look at that.

M85l9P0.jpg

Nadnitram likes this.
  9. Lonn

Admin Post
    I went ahead and did it, very happy with the result. The new neck was just a tad wider at the heel but still fit nice and tight. I also like the new neck has a nice tint to it. Everything worked out well.

941106D9-C447-4354-8D84-1E1677014F12.jpeg 1ECBF32F-7CAE-42D8-AB6F-2CFB398B84B9.jpeg

Nadnitram and Believer7713 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.