Swapped stock 6V6 tube for NOS

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by T-Rey, Nov 18, 2020.

1. T-Rey

T-Rey Strat-Talker Silver Member

Got a 1967 NOS GE smoked glass 6V6 tube in the mail today. Swapped it for the Chinese tube in my Champion 600. Definitely an improvement over stock! Seems louder and to have more clarity. Have a Mullard 12AX7 coming for the preamp. It's been mentioned here that replacing the preamp tube will make an even more noticeable difference than the 6V6 swap. Can't wait to try it and see what comes. Should be here sometime this week hopefully.

Cali Dude and soulman969 like this.
  2. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi @T-Rey
    Happy vintage tube day. :)

Cali Dude and T-Rey like this.
  3. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

What amp is this swap taking place in?

4. Doug B

Doug B Strat-Talker

He said Champion 600 in the first post.

Cali Dude and T-Rey like this.
  5. Engine Swap

Engine Swap Strat-Talker

Vintage GE 6V6 are nice, seem to stay clean longer. Try a NOS RCA sometime for comparison. A little smoother and grittier IMO.

T-Rey likes this.
  6. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

I'm a big believer in older vintage tubes. The problem is always gonna be finding them at prices I'm willing to pay.

A pair of US 5881 Tung-Sols made a difference for me so I kept scouting for a second pair as backups. All four ran about what a pair normally does. All test strong but with power tubes you never know how long one will last so I'm covered for now.

I also managed to pickup some vintage preamp tubes including a '60s RCA 5751 Blackplate, a Sylvania 5751 Grayplate, and a JAN Phillips 12AT7, as singles by scrounging around on Ebay. The RCA in V1 and Phillips 12AT7 in V3 did make a nice difference.

7. T-Rey

Alright, I'll be on the lookout for an RCA. Thanks for the info! @Engine Swap

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
    Engine Swap likes this.
  8. RadioFM74

RadioFM74 Senior Stratmaster

I must say that the one time I've been "tube rolling" different 6V6s in my tweed champ (stock JJ vs NOS Sylvania, RCA, GE) it did not make a noticeable difference. I've gone so far as to record them at various sound levels… but nothing much. Yeah, some tiny difference, but nothing that would ever matter in a real life musical context. What I did note was that some tubes were noisier than others.

My experience is very limited, but the one rule of thumb that I've derived from that is: if a tube works well (no extraneous noise, amp performing as expected) and my amp sounds good, it means it's good.

But again, I totally respect the ears and experience of those that see (hear) things otherwise.

The_Whale and T-Rey like this.
  9. Stevem

Stevem Senior Stratmaster

If you want to hear some definitive differences order up 3 6V6S tubes ( JJ brand) from Groovetubes, order one in a number 1 rating , then 5 and then one in a number 10 rating.
    These JJ brand 6V6 tubes are a bit more like a 6L6GC so my bet will be that you will like the number 1 and number 5 rated tube the best in your cathode biased Champ.

T-Rey likes this.
  10. T-Rey

Fount' one! Already got her coming. @Engine Swap I'm curious to see the difference.

Attached Files:

Engine Swap likes this.