Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

Swapping pickguards with no soldering

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by psallo, Apr 21, 2017.

1. psallo

psallo Senior Stratmaster

Dec 26, 2012
    Rehsa
    Hi there - probably a simple question for you guys.

I'd like to keep two or more loaded pickguards around and be able to swap between the two. Different sets of pickups, that kind of thing.

This is all simple enough but I want to do it without soldering, just with a screwdriver, but there is the matter of connecting the pickguard to the output jack. How do you do that without soldering? My gibson with PCB inside has parts that all just plug in and go, but things in my strat are still soldered.

Has anyone invented a gizmo to solve this problem? What is it?

2. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Jul 24, 2013
    Italy
    Hello, I think the only way is to cut the two wires to the jack and the one to the back claw and adding some electrical golden plated wires connecting clips so you can screw in and out the new pickguards.
    I never did it myself though...

3. vid1900

vid1900 Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    Fender made the 2014 USA Strats that have the Gibson-like plug and play pickups (and pots), but I think that's the only year they did it.

You could get a $10 crimping tool and easily make your own inline plug and play set up to wire in the jack and ground wire.

8d40e2f2119b9e3e99f6e6f6e63ba9034174a91b.jpg zzwire_to_wire_connectors_bil.gif zzwire_to_wire_connectors_bil.gif

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. psallo

Dec 26, 2012
    Rehsa
    Yeah, I'd like to have something like that for the output jack and the ground wire. Where would you buy such a thing?

6. nadzab

nadzab Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

ebay. I got a pack of 20 for just a few bucks. Quick-connecting the jack and trem ground wires is a standard mod on all my Strats. You only need connectors with on or two leads.

7. sjtalon

sjtalon Senior Stratmaster

8. nsnate02

nsnate02 Strat-Talk Member

Dec 28, 2016
    Nashville, TN

9. jvin248

jvin248 Strat-O-Master

Jan 10, 2014
    Michigan

This one of mine I used an RCA connection. Hard mount the jack inside the guitar and then use plugs on each loaded pickguard because those are easier to find than the jack. If you have M/F cords you don't need to mount a jack, just splice in the ends and connect, but put the Male ends on the plates though because you can find easier. These are typically found in old stereos and VCR hookup cables.

I have the guitar set up so I can swap in less than a minute, without tools, and keeping strings tuned up. Longer thread of my guitar plus others with similar concepts. The P90s and Tele pickguards spend the most time in this guitar if I'm not testing something like putting the Dan Armstrong Blender Mod on the Strat plate.

Someone once suggested RC car connectors that are apparently quite inexpensive.

[​IMG]

10. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

May 2, 2016
    Cranston, Rhode Island
    Any auto parts store or home depot/ lowes...they're called solderless connectors

11. 8T_BoCO

8T_BoCO Aspiring Stratospheric Stratitician Strat-Talk Supporter

Mar 2, 2016
    Colorado

12. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

May 12, 2008
    Canada
    I've been using RC (remote control cars) connectors. The advantage is their small enough that they don't take much space, plus can be threaded through wiring holes in bodies.

[​IMG]

vid1900 and Tim S like this.

13. psallo

Dec 26, 2012
    Rehsa
    That does look good. I'd like to have my jack always stay in place, and then some kind of connector for the jack and ground that I could just plug in myself. Where do you get them? Any radioshacky place?

14. spellcaster

spellcaster Strat-Talker

May 12, 2008
    Canada
    I ended up buying a bunch online. Later I discovered that there's a local RC shop that carries all that stuff. If I remember right, a one foot wire pigtail with a female on one end and a male on the other was about 4.00. They tend to be available with varying numbers of conductors and colors, but I chose the three-wire so the plugs were small enough to fit inside the routs in my Esquire.

We haven't had Radio Shack in Canada for years since they sold out to Circuit City and The Source. I learned a long time ago - Don't go to The Source unless you want a cell phone. They're hopeless on parts and anything they do have is about 6 x retail price.

15. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Senior Stratmaster

Jun 10, 2013
    Hillsboro, OR, USA
    I've heard of people using 3-wire connector plugs, similar to what others have shared, for the 2 output jack wires and a ground wire. Solder the plug up to both the inside of the guitar and the pickguard, and you'd be able to easily swap pickguards.

I've thought about doing something like that myself, but I'm not sure how often I'd really be swapping pickguards - especially with my #1, I'm not sure if I'd want to risk wearing out the screw threads for the pickguard.

16. vid1900

vid1900 Strat-O-Master

Nov 25, 2016
    USA
    That is why most of the Radio Shacks have gone out of biz in the States.

100% true Radio Shack story:

Associate: Hey buddy, what can I help you with?
    Vid: I just need some alligator clips, I know where they are.
    A: Who's your cellphone with?
    Vid: Decepticom.
    A: How's about you let me save you some money on your phone bill?
    V: How are you going to do that?
    A: Give you a lower price. What are you paying?
    V: $35 a month. Unlimited Data/text/voice.
    A: OK.....I'm going to make you a happy man today........ (he's poking in the computer).
    A: Alright, how does $99 a month sound; UNLIMITED?
    V: I just told you I pay $35 a month, unlimited. Why would I want to pay $99?
    A: Because I never heard of this Decepticom!
    V: Just the clips for today.
    A: You sure??? Pick out any of these phones! (points to the showcase) I'm saving you like big cash if you add it all up. You know, if you REALLY compare.
    V: Just the clips.

17. psallo

Dec 26, 2012
    Rehsa
    I was sad about that myself, when I went to a Radioshack for the first time in years, that they only had a little section for the actual Radioshack type stuff. 99% of their business (of which there seemed to be very little) must have been cellphones, cellphone cases, and batteries.

(I guess I can't complain that they are gone or that they adapted to a new business model since I have been in the store like 2 times in the last 20 years.)