Join Strat-Talk Today

Sweetwater

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Stonetone, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Caddy

Caddy Strat-Talker

One really nice thing is that you get your reps extension number, so you can contact him personally, actually have him (a real person) answer the phone. I hate automated answering systems. That alone makes it worth a lot to me. Your rep gets to know you and your preferences.

MF has recently begun to do this, but in a year or so I have had four or five different reps. Been dealing with Sweetwater for over ten years and have only had two, then only because the first got promoted to management.

dante1963 likes this.
  2. crazyrachey96

crazyrachey96 Strat-O-Master

My go-to is AMS, but I've had good luck with Sweetwater as well.

3. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

I've never used Sweetwater. However, in three years on Strat Talk, I've never seen such a consensus on any topic. Even the "Is Duke's mayonnaise a good tone wood?" thread had more dissension.

dante1963 likes this.
  4. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I would say if you're going to buy new, pay full price and have it shipped to you, absolutely you should buy from Sweetwater.

rgbedard and Belexes like this.
  5. Strums

Strums Strat-O-Master

Good to hear that! :thumb: Maybe it was just my rep and that was a while ago.

6. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

The last thing I ordered from them was a Vox ac10, ordered one day & here the next. Have ordered pedals, strings, amps... Have always had great service.

dante1963 and Stonetone like this.
  7. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-Talker

Hi, I am Tom from Sweetwater, just calling about the strings you purchased, and how that’s working out for you?
    You see I too am a.....

lol the candy is a home run!!!!

they do aim to please.

8. DiamondsNRust

DiamondsNRust Strat-Talker

They are excellent to deal with, the customer care goes above and beyond.. when I bought my martin d-35 and fender custom shop, they worked pretty drastically on the price with me. They call about once a month to see if I need any more gear/strings/picks etc.. and they’re always friendly, I recommend them 100% to all my musician friends.. also if you’re near Indiana and decide you want to check out gear in person, they’ll give you a tour of the place and let you play whatever you’d like. They also have a pretty lenient return policy.. I think pretty highly of them and do all my gear shopping there..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

I started buying from sweetwater because they had great deals on DAW plugins. Then they had a package deal with Amplitube Pro package + an iRig. It was well under the price of the plugins by themselves. Sold. I called my Sweetwater guy (because everyone gets a Sweetwater guy when you buy something) and cha-Ching, iRig on it’s way and software keys in my IK Multimedia account. I’ve been tempted by some of their FSR Strats too but I’m trying to be good and play the guitars I have.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
  10. Caddy

Caddy Strat-Talker

I have always been able to get some discount on guitars, etc. from there.

dante1963 likes this.
  11. Yaralag

Yaralag Senior Stratmaster

Love em! Great customer service.

12. dante1963

dante1963 Strat-O-Master

Yep. You just have to ask.

Caddy likes this.
  13. Twin

Twin Strat-Talk Member

I haven’t bought a really big ticket item from them, yet. But I have bought many other items and so far they have been great.

14. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

I have heard that from others but I have bought literally thousands of dollars of gear from them and never even once have I been called after an order arrived, nor between orders. My sales "engineer" probably doesn't waste his time since he knows that I will be calling him again soon! I have bought from Sweetwater since about 2016 and have had the same sales engineer the whole time, the guy is a gigging musician and know product as well as recording and playing so I am happy to bounce things off him when I am trying to steer myself in the right direction for something new. Everyone is right about their customer service, it is A-1. And when you work with the same guy for a bit, it's easy to get really good prices. Way better than I get at GC or MF even with the MF backstage pass rewards. Below is my latest purchase from SW just 2 weeks ago. Vintera 50s Modified. Setup perfectly, plays awesome. I have bought several guitars from SW and I can say for sure that they do a great job with setup and packing of the instrument.

image2 (2).jpeg

dante1963 likes this.
  15. Andrew Wasson

Andrew Wasson Senior Stratmaster

that’s weird... My first purchase was a Modobass VST for Midi Bass in my recording rig. I got an email from my sales engineer the next day and the day after a phone call. It wasn’t a big purchase but all of a sudden I had a guy at Sweetwater. When I made the iRig + Amplitube package deal purchase it was the same thing. Not a lot of money at all and I must have received 3 calls. The first was a check in, the second because a had a question and the third was to make sure all was well. They’re a class act.

16. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

Some truth to that. You might get the Stupid Deal of the Day at MF or the Daily Pick At GC for significantly less that at SW but regular advertised sales prices for the guitars, Amps, PA, mixers, etc are pretty much the same across the board at SW, MF, GC, AMS, Zounds. Then you need to make your own deal. And I have gotten bigger discounts at SW than any other retailer, on WHATEVER brand I’m buying whether Fender, Gibson, Marshall, etc. And when GC ir MF advertises 15% off, go look at the excluded brands and you will see why those sales are bogus.

However, the items that ARE consistently cheaper at MF are cables, stands, patch cords, and other stage/studio “hardware”. But for big ticket items I’m calling Sweetwater.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tery likes this.
  17. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Strat-Talk Supporter

The quality of my Sweetwater experience was directly related to the salesperson. Had a guy for years that was great, then he left and I got assigned a new guy that is so unsatisfactory that I started ordering more from MF, lol.

But I suspect I could pick a new rep if I wanted. In general Sweetwater tries really hard to keep you happy. As a company, they care about their customers.

I got a lemon guitar from them. I had to push, but they eventually made it very right. I doubt if they ended up making anything off that transaction, but because they took care of me on that guitar, I bought an amp from them.

The 2 year warranty is good, but generally requires you to ship your guitar to them for service. I am not a big fan of shipping guitars unless it's absolutely unavoidable.

They provide a huge value-add with all the information they provide. I figure that's worth something.

But recently, I have been getting better prices from MF. Sweetwater has quicker shipping than MF, but I have found their packing inconsistent. Last amp I bought from them, they shipped the head in a thin box with a "handful" of ghost terds, and the outer shipping box predictably self-destructed from the amp moving around inside. The amp arrived with a really badly microphonic tube, which they sent a replacement for, but I suspect the tube was damaged because of the packing. The one guitar I bought from them was extremely well packed, and they shipped me the original cardboard box for the guitar, even though they shipped the guitar in its hard case.

Sweetwater definitely does more right than wrong in my experience.

18. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

Sweetwater is - sliced bread!

19. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

i guess i am the last to find that out.

im still happy with the few things i have bought from them but im showing them this thread next time i order!

20. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Strat-Talk Member Strat-Talk Supporter

They're high touch, which can be very pleasant indeed. They don't compete on price (their sales are plain old laughable). They're not especially knowledgeable, which can be a problem, and they don't carry a lot of what interests me any more (and they stand by at least one plain old fraud). But they're nice. I did business with them for over 15 years, but I'm done.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.