Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

swimming pool route

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by PicknGrin86, Nov 2, 2011.

1. PicknGrin86

PicknGrin86 Strat-O-Master

May 20, 2011
    Greenville NC
    is this truly inferior. want to hear opinions that aren't hunches

2. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 29, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    No, it's not inferior.

3. lendryesky

lendryesky Strat-O-Master

Jul 18, 2010
    Michigan
    To sum it up:

Some people believe that the absence of a lot of that wood leaves less wood to resonate. Others believe it doesn't really make a significant difference.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. stratphobic

stratphobic -----------------------

Jan 14, 2011
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    The didn't make the American standard and strat plus with a swimming pool route for over a decade because it sucked

6. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    There have been plenty of nice guitars with the swimming pool route. I don't prefer it, but it's not a deal breaker.

EDIT: Lendryesky summed it up best. There will be a million different answers, and this thread will probably lead to someone being suspended, but the answer is as simple as that.

dbolt likes this.

7. rickyp

rickyp Senior Stratmaster

May 17, 2010
    LEEDS, ALABAMA
    I read in a Fender Frontline magazine in early 2000 that they went back to a H-S-H routing configuration, because more wood=more resonance.
    Whether or not it is really true is beyond the ability of mankind to really know for sure. Guitar players don't have access to the kind of equipment needed to measure the resonance of a guitar body, and those that do have access to that kind of equipment aren't concerned with guitars.

Kosh likes this.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 28, 2011
    USA
    Ya and the people who are really concerned with that should really be playing a Les Paul. Because there is a ton of routing even in the least routed tremolo strat.

9. mw13068

mw13068 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 29, 2009
    Ithaca, NY
    To paraphrase Ron Kirn: "it matters if you think it does..."

rlmcritters1 and 1980 like this.

10. SennaF1

SennaF1 Senior Stratmaster

Sep 29, 2009
    New York
    Hahah you got a point. I think it's good cause if you want 'buckers in your strat it's easy.

The blacktop's are routed out to the max !

Topdude likes this.

11. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Senior Stratmaster

Feb 11, 2010
    Valley o Sun
    I have guitars with the swimming pool and guitars with H/S/S routing and the only difference that I hear is when I'm playing acoustically. The swimming pool strat seems to be a tad bit louder and cleaner sans an amplifier.

12. fordfanjpn

fordfanjpn Strat-Talker

Jul 19, 2011
    Tokyo
    I have both, and to be honest, I can't tell any difference at all.

13. PicknGrin86

PicknGrin86 Strat-O-Master

May 20, 2011
    Greenville NC
    well I've only had one strat and it's an 87 plus. although it's always sounded great... having not had any other I wondered if I was missing out on something. but honestly my strat sounds so good that I shouldn't be worried. just wanted to ask

rlmcritters1 likes this.

14. Joshua

Joshua Senior Stratmaster

May 4, 2011
    Lenoir, NC
    It's right up there with special relativity and quantum mechanics.

15. platypibri

platypibri Senior Stratmaster

Jun 30, 2009
    Riverside, CA
    The kind of people who worry about the "sound" of the routing also prefer batteries with logos consisting of all capital letters, oriented in landscape view and manufactured on alternating Thursdays buy a guy named Tam.

16. Robins

Robins Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Dec 22, 2010
    Germany
    Yeah, it´s louder acoustically and you can hide things if you have to. It will be quieter than. It is great for practising without an amp but there are guitars out there not having swimming pool routing that are exactly as loud as a guitar with a swimming pool routing so I don´t know if it is really something to speak about.
    If you want your guitar being louder acoustically give it a swimming pool routing though.

All the best,
    Robin

17. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Jul 27, 2012
    Virginia
    There was an Ibanez guitar done that way, the Allan Holdworth model I think, with the swimming pool. From what I read he preferred that.

As far as getting something with some loudness for practice... you might go with a semi hollow guitar like I just did !! Ibanez AS73

18. LoWSK

LoWSK Strat-Talker

Apr 19, 2012
    Falmouth, MA
    I have both and cannot tell the difference.

19. vgp001

vgp001 Strat-O-Master

Mar 31, 2012
    The slogan at the time was "more wood = more tone."

Fender changed to the H-S-H routing because people *****ed. It was "too different" from the way it used to be done. The retention of wood from an H-S-H route to the universal is just the bumps on the sides - not much at all....more is kept in a S-S-S, but whatever.

People started taking apart their Strats and were "shocked" to see a big cavity in there.

The spin at the time was that the universal route gives a more hollow, phasey tone....as popularized by Andy Summers. Also, they veneered the bodies supposedly to counteract finish sink. People then interpreted this as the glue of the veneer "dampening" tone and preventing resonance.

Remember, this is the mid-late 90s and the internet was taking hold.

20. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Senior Stratmaster

May 26, 2006
    Jacksonville, FL
    it's all in your perspective….

ya know the difference in a swimming pool rout and a chambered body? . . . Ummmm nuthin' but promotion…

Ron Kirn

dbolt likes this.

21. Leebman

Leebman Strat-Talker

Feb 4, 2009
    E. Yorks
    Two guitars identical in looks will sound slightly different to each other, the only thing to consider is which one sounds better to you. Swimming pool route or not shouldn't effect your choice of guitar just like what it says on the headstock.